Gorilla glue set up time ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Gorilla glue set up time ?

Postby rustytoolss » Sun May 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Is It just me, or does Gorilla glue set up instantly ? Or am I doing something wrong ? Will too much water on one surface make it set up lightning fast ??? :o :shock: :frightened: :NC I mean everything I've glued has worked out OK. But If I had to readjust something, well that could not be possible, because it would be to late. cause it stuck there and you better have it right :x
So far I have not needed to move anything.. but if I had needed to make a slight adjustment..Not happening. It like it's a one shot deal.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: Gorilla glue set up time ?

Postby GPW » Mon May 08, 2017 5:00 am

We don’t use water anynore with GG... Our local atmosphere is wet enough ... water accelerates the cure , and our modeling friends use a water and rubbing alcohol mix to accelerate it even faster ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 am

I was only doing what the instructions on the bottles said to do. And what others on the Foamie forum , had said to do. So is damping one surface somewhat of a mistake ( to ensure reasonable working time). I live in NE Ohio. Not like it's a wet or dry climate most of the time.
I still need to do more foam work (front wall, rear wall, complete roof) I sure don't need problems that might happen glue down the roof. And the GG setting up way to fast.
I'll try gluing one of my support 2x2's to my foam with out using any water moisture today.
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 08, 2017 2:45 pm

What I have found in my climate (dry in winter, humid in summer) is that if I spritz it with a spray bottle the GG foams up too much and makes large weak bubbles; and my sprayer always seems to spit out a few large droplets (rather than an even fine mist) that tends to be too much concentrated in those little spots. When gluing to hard woods I found that if I just damp a folded up paper shop towel, and wring it out completely (i.e. damp but not dripping), then just use that to wipe on one side it was plenty.

For me it always seemed like I was waiting around for the bubbles to kick, but if there was too much moisture when it did it would over expand.

Less moisture will still kick, and will be stronger when it does. Well, maybe if you live in an arid place like Arizona or New Mexico things might be different, but....
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Mon May 08, 2017 6:21 pm

I live in north central Indiana. I don't use water to kick it off. I just allow longer time for setup. I have about an hour of time to move things around before its to a point of not moving.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Philip wrote:I live in north central Indiana. I don't use water to kick it off. I just allow longer time for setup. I have about an hour of time to move things around before its to a point of not moving.

I should have not read the instruction.. things would have been easier :lol:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby RubberGypsy » Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 am

If it does foam out the sides you can wipe it off while its still setting up. You def have to clamp it. And it's pretty easy to sand down smooth after the fact. Def don't use it on something you may want to take apart in the future, like the roof, that stuff ain't coming undone [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
RubberGypsy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RubberGypsy » Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 am

I used it to mend some delaminating plywood sides on my walls. It even plugged the screw holes nicely. I used a spray bottle as it was still kinda wintery here in central NC.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
RubberGypsy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Wed May 10, 2017 6:16 pm

The instructions are for wood, which will absorb some of the moisture. Since water is the catalyst you need to add some as directed.
Foam does not contain or absorb water, so you can rely on the local humidity to give all the moisture nessecary.
I don't add any water when building my foam kayaks, and they cure perfectly overnight.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed May 10, 2017 6:51 pm

rustytoolss wrote:
Philip wrote:I live in north central Indiana. I don't use water to kick it off. I just allow longer time for setup. I have about an hour of time to move things around before its to a point of not moving.

I should have not read the instruction.. things would have been easier :lol:

I read the instruction to. The first time I used it I noticed the set time was fast. So the next layup I didn't use water. Liked it that way better.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 11, 2017 5:13 am

We observed ,the more water added , the more foaming happened , and if you think about it , the more foaming = the more air in the mix and the weaker the glue … Glue or bubbles ??? :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Sat May 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Well at least now I can adjust my foam panels...thanks guys . Not applying moisture to the foam anymore. :beer:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Return to Foamies