Front wall/floor mount AC

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Front wall/floor mount AC

Postby rustytoolss » Mon May 15, 2017 8:05 pm

I plan to install a small air conditioner (5000btu) I will be mounting it in the front wall at the floor level. Anyone got any good pictures of how to mount the AC unit. I'm sure that I can come up with something to support the unit. But seeing what someone else did my give me some ideas. :pictures:
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: Front wall/floor mount AC

Postby GPW » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 am

here’s how we did ours … simple … removable for winter storage ..( and keeping wasps out )
Attachments
DSCF0048x.JPG
DSCF0048x.JPG (179.08 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
DSCF0050x.JPG
DSCF0050x.JPG (230.2 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
DSCF0054x.JPG
DSCF0054x.JPG (201.58 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 am

the measurements …
Attachments
DSCF0045x.JPG
DSCF0045x.JPG (214.49 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 am

What I meant to ask was, How did you secure the air conditioner to the wall ? Bolting/screwing ?mounting brackets ?
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

We just made it a tight fit ( slides in and out ) … It’s not going anywhere ( Newton) , and we’re not towing with it in the wall … The AC will ride in the back of the pickup , till it’s needed … You can see we faced the opening with thin plywood … that’s strong enough for the intended purpose …

Rusty , an observation we’ve made after these many years is , these small Air conditioners work fine if not abused ,left outside, gotten into by wasps , or been around little children… :lol:
Attachments
FSAC3.JPG
FSAC3.JPG (159.07 KiB) Viewed 976 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:25 am

GPW wrote:here’s how we did ours … simple … removable for winter storage ..( and keeping wasps out )

Glen, your third (?) pic, of the outside of the unit: I see that some of the intake vents are covered. Did that affect its performance much? Looks like about half of the side intakes are obstructed.

I'm thinking something similar for mine. A plug for the wall hole, removable of course, and just slide the a/c into it when needed. A/C can live under the head of the front bed, out of the way, when not being put to work.
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:38 am

Bill, the little bit we played with it , it quickly cooled down the inside ( 3.5” thick foam walls ) … I don’t know really and I’d only be guessing about the effect of the blocked vents over time . But on the other hand , the wall is thick enough to cut away the vent feed area without much consequence The base opening will still be the same size …
Here’s a rough sketch of what I’d do …( may have to do )
Attachments
ACvent mods.png
ACvent mods.png (1015.42 KiB) Viewed 829 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 am

That idea of angling the sides would certainly work, for getting more airflow, but probably isn't a "field fix" except in the most extreme situation, since it'd compromise the canvas sheath. It's more of a suffer-this-time-and-fix-later place you'd find yourself in. Maybe, since you're going to be using relatively copious amounts of electricity anyway, might throw in a fan or two and the cords/taps needed to blow them into the side vents if you find it's not cooling well enough for comfort. That'd be more of a field-fix and keep the audible reminders that "something needs to be done about this a/c" to a minimum :lol:

I'm VERY attuned to the 'what-ifs' involving lacks of creature comforts, and use my best efforts to mitigate them. Makes life so much more easy :R
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:26 pm

“ Makes life so much more easy “ … That’s so true … :thumbsup:
Not being a critical area, the weight of the unit resting on the floor , we can make a sufficient channel on each side to adequately supply the vent 100% ( or so) and by peeling back the existing canvas , we can then cut away the vent access area and then stretch and reglue the existing canvas over the new surface… ( theoretically … ) :NC We can then make a New cover for the AC hole ( we still have more Foam ).. But since we’re still working on it we’ll be sure to do that when we do the rest , like covering the drip edges ( and Ant-holes ) with a canvas tape/gasket and painting the darn roof … The List grows :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies