PMF Gooru's I am your student

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

PMF Gooru's I am your student

Postby rustytoolss » Thu May 25, 2017 4:52 pm

OK all you PMF Gooru's . I've done 3 different parts of my TTT's interior wall canvas work. I have a question. .... How are you guys getting those Nice /perfect seam/overlap lines ? And not having any stray stinger threads , from cut canvas. I'm using HF canvas. I removed all the seams with a seam ripper and ironed the canvas. But even if I had bought more expensive canvas, I'm sure , I would still have this problem. I'm not so concern about the interior. But when I do the exterior. I sure would like for it to look straighter/better. Gooru's teach me the way :worship:
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: PMF Gooru's I am your student

Postby GPW » Thu May 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Rusty , mark your cut line on the canvas , then brush over the line with 50/50 water (or even thinner) thinned White elmers glue … ( non waterproof) let that dry , then make your cut on the treated fabric line …. No threads ;) … then when you glue the canvas down the white glue just blends in with the other glue … clean seams … OK ?

Good ( Pretty) covering is an unhurried job …. take your time , neatness counts ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 pm

You've thought of everything. Thank you O PMF Master :worship:
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 pm

My exterior process begins about half way down here http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=405 . You can read as far as you want from there. That was my fist wall, the second wall was improved and later is the roof and interior. I did a walk through of how I did each one step by step in most cases.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 pm

If you can cover the inside roof before you attach it, that will help. Trying to cover the inside top with gravity working against you will test your patience.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 26, 2017 4:51 am

The reality is , there are no Masters here , just a lot of testing and a lot of talented builders !!! And painted canvas was used successfully by the old timers on many things so it’s not really a new idea, just a good one … :thumbsup:

Pssst!!! Over here… The real secret is , nobody is really looking at your seams … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies