ADVICE: Foamie -Modular for multiple setups & takedowns????

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

ADVICE: Foamie -Modular for multiple setups & takedowns????

Postby JDHIV » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:25 pm

I was reading all over the forum and not sure if anything fits what I want to do and I will happily move/delete this if it is in the wrong place or just not for this site.

I want to make something that I can bring with me but NOT on a trailer (I already have a TTT) that I can setup on the ground when camping and provides a room that I can stand up in and do stuff in (cook, eat, lounge, get out of the weather, etc...) when I'm not sleeping in my TTT. My TTT is an old build thread on here somewhere and is an old pop-up's trailer-only with a truck-bed-camp cap that I built a wooden truck bed to mate it to the trailer. You can't stand up in it and it is not a place to be unless you are sleeping.

I love the idea of a foamy build for it's ease (perceived) and good on the wallet and it is to make my camping experience more comfy and convenient without buying a true camper trailer. I also don't want to get rid of my frankencamper since I just finally finished it last year and haven't been able to use it too often yet.

MY THOUGHTS. Make 2-3' by 8 foot sections that become the walls and a simple A-frame style roof; more what I can store on top of or inside the TTT, or top of TV (2011 Nissan Pathfinder). Then within 15mins or so I can erect it.

????How to use temporary fastening to lock together walls at corners, roof to walls, and wall sections that will need to be 2-3 pieces vertically "stacked" to make a height I can stand up inside of (I'm 6'2" tall).

I'd do a door and windows at the end (unless you need to do something with wood for attachment points that I'd design earlier on.

I will post a current pic of the TTT as soon as I remember how on here again.

I would then need to take it down and pack it away each time so it can't be permanently put together and I want it to not leak. I'll figure out how to make the ground/floor just to keep water and such out

THANK YOU in advance for ANY help/guidance! :worship:

_John
Attachments
WIN_20170603_13_37_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170603_13_37_16_Pro.jpg (407.86 KiB) Viewed 655 times
WIN_20170603_13_36_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170603_13_36_33_Pro.jpg (546.18 KiB) Viewed 655 times
WIN_20170603_13_36_02_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170603_13_36_02_Pro.jpg (400 KiB) Viewed 655 times
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Re: ADVICE: Foamie -Modular for multiple setups & takedowns?

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:38 pm

I suppose anything can be done -- obviously interlocking panels with some sort of weather guard at the connection points. Since this is stationary, you do not have to typically deal with high winds (65+mph while driving). You will have to reinforce the panels. Most panel do not like flexing, an issue more when unloading/assembling/disassmbling/loading.

The major concern is the size of this structure. Even disassembled, it is going to take up a fair amount of space. In addition, how would you lift the panels or place the roof ie a step ladder and 2 other people?

A fabric and fiberglass/steel/aluminum structured tent would most likely be more efficient.

Personally, I think a Clam Outdoors Pavilion or if you need more space Excursion would be better decision. Weatherproof, windproof, portable, quick to setup, take down. These are not insulated. They do have hunting and ice fishing (insulated) equivalents.

Alternatively, most easy ups have side panels. Typically side panels are solid. You can be netting panels as needed. Get ones with the unobstructed high centers, and you are good to go. Considerably cheaper. I have spent stormy weekend sitting under them. Not sure I would have a fire inside. I doubt they are fireproof. Not as elegant as the Clam, but workable.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby JDHIV » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks TS! I figured just about anything can be done and will both look into what you have suggested and at least mock up index cards or some other scale paper-based media to see how it looks 3D in real life.
I would be setting up by myself and imagined the roof to be two long rectangular panels that are hinged up at the top/vertex and being 6'2" tall with a good almost or about 8' reach,I don' think I'd have a problem reaching to get it up but also could use a helper-pole or something like that.

I have an easy-up and spent too much time trying to water proof it for rain, then took it out the first time and got rained on and water (water always finds a way!) was dripping through stitch holes, which I think I used some kind of silicone on after I got home from that trip. I also find the easy-up to be a bit of a pain to set up and take down by myself...BUT, if I end up finding it to be a worthy solution, I would have no problem making/buying sidewalls for it.....I had none last year and the rain found its holes up top as well as blowing/dripping in sideways or at least diagonally enough to make the comfortable dry area inside it to be maybe 2 square feet (if that).

I have always wanted to build a foamie...starting when I started building my current TTT (pics above) and I had a 2005 Honda Accord 6cyl with a "generous" 1000lbs towing capacity. This trailer would have pushed those limits with the stuff I have in it that goes with me as well as stuff inside the vehicle cabin.

So, adding a good deal of space to keep my stuff in and be able to keep the dog inside of securely when off on a hike that she can't go on, as well as to cook in, lounge in for bad weather and maybe move the bed/sleeping into this structure and use the TTT as just a cargo and camp gear trailer...I'd like to also section a small part of it off for the porta potty maybe.

Having said all that. IF I could go back and do it again...I would not listen to the Naysayers who told me to not make it taller when I built the TTT I have...then I would've made it taller to afford stand up inside space...but, it'd still be cramped to stay out of rain with a 2nd person.

I know I COULD get another trailer (bigger one) and build a proper foamie, but I don't think I've used the current built TTT enough to justify all the time and aggravation that went into it. So, I don't think I have another full build in me just yet (if ever).

So, (to anyone reading this) any suggestions on how to mate up sections of glassed foamie sections...then I'm all ears! (or would it be eyes? 8) ).

I imagine wood is "glassed" in with the foam and provides points to install hardware that could involved bungy/elastic and big cotter pins...or whatever keeps it together for its stationary erected state at camp. I would want it to fold up small enough to lay on the top of my TTT and be ratcheted/tied down for transit.

Thanks!!!!!
_John

Overall, If I had the $,I'd buy a proper travel trailer with a bathroom and shower and all the basic amenities...but I don't and I like the notion of making something. My options are open!
JDHIV
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mezmo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 am

Just throwing out a thought here... could you build an inverted "U" shape that could slide over your current TD/TTT - on a rail attached to the ends of your cross frame members ? Then slide it rearward when setting up camp....I don't know if you would get enough height that way or not... you could build a framework of aluminum square tubing or even EMT conduit, and then infill with foam etc...If that doesn't give enough height, then perhaps you could build a frame, attached to the rear of your current TD/TTT, that would be folded down at the side of the TD/TTT for transit, but that would then fold up and out to the rear giving the height you need, and to which you could attach roof and side panels... the goal here would be to take the weight and structure out of the panels and just have the panels be a covering.... also before I forget, look at this for some ideas too: http://hexayurt.com/ and http://hexayurt.com/index.old.html and here's a Google search for that, just look around and see what ideas you can get to adapt to your needs...

Cheers,
Mezmo/Norm
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies