Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Postby amandacreiglow » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

jimbo69ny wrote:Why don’t you want to fix it and keep it? You put so much work into it?

Realistically, I’m just not going to use it, and there’s no use keeping something I’m not going to use. It just doesn’t work for traveling or camping in with my dog, and I’m not going to go on trips in it without her. Plus, it was always intended as a test and a learning process, as was the trip, and I think in that way both fulfilled their purpose pretty well.
Eventually I’m thinking I’ll do a pop-up foamie truck camper, and/or a pop up foamie sleeping capsule to put in the roof of a short bus conversion, but those are both pretty far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby jimbo69ny » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am

amandacreiglow wrote:
jimbo69ny wrote:Why don’t you want to fix it and keep it? You put so much work into it?

Realistically, I’m just not going to use it, and there’s no use keeping something I’m not going to use. It just doesn’t work for traveling or camping in with my dog, and I’m not going to go on trips in it without her. Plus, it was always intended as a test and a learning process, as was the trip, and I think in that way both fulfilled their purpose pretty well.
Eventually I’m thinking I’ll do a pop-up foamie truck camper, and/or a pop up foamie sleeping capsule to put in the roof of a short bus conversion, but those are both pretty far out.

Wow. I’m really surprised. You put so much work into it!
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:30 am

jimbo69ny wrote:Wow. I’m really surprised. You put so much work into it!

And I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot doing it! And in a perfect world I would have gotten a dog who was better suited to traveling in that small of a trailer and probably would have travelled in it for longer. But in the end, I never meant for this to be an end point - it’s a beginning. The plan was always to sell it eventually and move in to the next thing. And that time is now. :)

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am

amandacreiglow wrote:

And I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot doing it! And in a perfect world I would have gotten a dog who was better suited to traveling in that small of a trailer and probably would have travelled in it for longer. But in the end, I never meant for this to be an end point - it’s a beginning. The plan was always to sell it eventually and move in to the next thing. And that time is now. :)

I enjoyed reading this thread when you started, glad you were able to use it for the 3 months. I couldnt suggest a price, sorry. Maybe asking people you know that may have an interest if they would like to buy it and what its worth to them?
If you ever move on to a pop up foamie send me a message. I made one and made a ton of mistakes. A pop up foamie is a difficult task.
My design peramiters were:
Easy to tow with a 63hp car
Sleep 4 people
Hold everything we would need for 2 adults and 2 small kids for 3 1/2 months while in remote locations
Be able to camp outside of campgrounds
Hold enough food, water and clothes for a week
Be super quick to set up and take down as we would rarely stay in the same place 2 nights in a row.
And the usual, keep dust and water and bugs out.

I failed at more than half of those, lol. We made it all across the country- 30k in 3 1/2 months but it wasnt like how i planned. So if you want to know what doesnt work message me when the time comes. Did you do a blog or something while you were out in your foamie for the 3 months? What you were gonna do sounded cool. Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby jimbo69ny » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 pm

dancam wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:

I enjoyed reading this thread when you started, glad you were able to use it for the 3 months. I couldnt suggest a price, sorry. Maybe asking people you know that may have an interest if they would like to buy it and what its worth to them?
If you ever move on to a pop up foamie send me a message. I made one and made a ton of mistakes. A pop up foamie is a difficult task.
Sleep 4 people
Hold everything we would need for 2 adults and 2 small kids for 3 1/2 months while in remote locations
Be super quick to set up and take down as we would rarely stay in the same place 2 nights in a row.

I failed at more than half of those, lol. We made it all across the country- 30k in 3 1/2 months but it wasnt like how i planned. So if you want to know what doesnt work message me when the time comes. Did you do a blog or something while you were out in your foamie for the 3 months? What you were gonna do sounded cool. Image

Interesting. Did you document any of your build?
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:43 pm

dancam wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:

Sleep 4 people

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t know a ton of people, and none who would be in the market for something like this. It’s a weird one.

I meant to blog, but between everything being a bit more difficult than anticipated, and general inertia, I didn’t really. If you scroll back a bit in my Instagram you can see a ton of pictures, though: @amandacreiglow

I remember reading along in your build thread - last time I had looked you were most of the way ready. Looked really cool. Glad it ended up serving you well, even if it didn’t go as planned! My thought is to do more of a standard pop up design like the pop up trailer we had when I was a kid, just with foam panels that slot in instead of the canvas walls that I always hated. But I’ll hit you up for pointers when I eventually get there. :)

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 pm

jimbo69ny wrote:
dancam wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:

Sleep 4 people

Here is my build thread in all its optimism and naive-ity. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftnttt%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D66816&share_tid=66816&share_fid=39727&share_type=t

amandacreiglow wrote:
dancam wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:

Sleep 4 people

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t know a ton of people, and none who would be in the market for something like this. It’s a weird one.

I meant to blog, but between everything being a bit more difficult than anticipated, and general inertia, I didn’t really. If you scroll back a bit in my Instagram you can see a ton of pictures, though: @amandacreiglow

I remember reading along in your build thread - last time I had looked you were most of the way ready. Looked really cool. Glad it ended up serving you well, even if it didn’t go as planned! My thought is to do more of a standard pop up design like the pop up trailer we had when I was a kid, just with foam panels that slot in instead of the canvas walls that I always hated. But I’ll hit you up for pointers when I eventually get there. :)

Ok, maybe put a higher price on it than you think it will sell for and say or best offer. That should narrow down your replies to the ad a bit. Post it on a prius or minimalist forum, lol.
Yeah, we got way behind on our blog once our son got hurt in dawson city and never really picked it up again. It sure is hard to do while travelling.

dancam
500 Club

Postby amandacreiglow » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm

dancam wrote:
jimbo69ny wrote:
dancam wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:

Sleep 4 people

Here is my build thread in all its optimism and naive-ity. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftnttt%2Ecom%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D66816&share_tid=66816&share_fid=39727&share_type=t

amandacreiglow wrote:
dancam wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:

Sleep 4 people

Ok, maybe put a higher price on it than you think it will sell for and say or best offer. That should narrow down your replies to the ad a bit. Post it on a prius or minimalist forum, lol.
Yeah, we got way behind on our blog once our son got hurt in dawson city and never really picked it up again. It sure is hard to do while travelling.

That’s probably good advice. No hurry, so I should try to get the best price I can even if it takes a while. Just so hard to know even where the general ballpark is.

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:26 am

If you recover all your materials costs that would be pretty good IMO.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:52 am

How many times must we post the same pictures and text over and over again ??? :duh: We “Get it !!! “
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Projector » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:12 am

About the pricing for your teardrop.
As John mentioned, cost is one consideration, as is cost plus.
Factors to assist you in pricing, generally.

Look at comparables on Craig's and eBay for probuilt teardrops. First in your area, state and then, region. Yours should be priced somewhere between the value of that and your cost of materials. Can't ask as much as a probuilt from conventional materials due to perceived factors of quality and reputation. Unless of course, you and the trailer are so damn cute and charming that you could sell a fridge to Eskimos. Visual appeal and sales skill are worth $$. Consider repainting to a more universally appealing color scheme, possibly. White or neutral as they say in real estate sales. Would be quick and easy to do. Or offer to paint to match vehicle, definitely discuss or mention in the ad. Increase your selling points.
The logic being that you're comparable to alternatives or whatever else can be bought with the same money.
And if they had to build it themselves, would cost X, plus time to build. Logical arguments during price negotiations.
The value in an area can be higher or lower depending upon that market. If demand, = higher $, no demand, = lower$.

Other suggestions,
On your ad, just state the facts and features, interested parties can be filled in on the specifics and details. Simply mention needs minor maintenance, but you'd be much better off fixing those. Those items bring quality of construction issues into question and take away from the perception of value, maximize $$, or even getting offers.
Do the minor work required on the major things related to appearance and quality, major selling and pricing factors.
Fill and glue those bubbles because no one wants a delaminating trailer, or without a significant discount.

And of course, wait till spring or nicer weather.
Or tax return time. Will get a better price, more interest.
Good luck.
Make it so.
Projector
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 am

Projector wrote:About the pricing for your teardrop.
As John mentioned, cost is one consideration, as is cost plus.
Factors to assist you in pricing, generally.

Look at comparables on Craig's and eBay for probuilt teardrops. First in your area, state and then, region. Yours should be priced somewhere between the value of that and your cost of materials. Can't ask as much as a probuilt from conventional materials due to perceived factors of quality and reputation. Unless of course, you and the trailer are so damn cute and charming that you could sell a fridge to Eskimos. Visual appeal and sales skill are worth $$. Consider repainting to a more universally appealing color scheme, possibly. White or neutral as they say in real estate sales. Would be quick and easy to do. Or offer to paint to match vehicle, definitely discuss or mention in the ad. Increase your selling points.
The logic being that you're comparable to alternatives or whatever else can be bought with the same money.
And if they had to build it themselves, would cost X, plus time to build. Logical arguments during price negotiations.
The value in an area can be higher or lower depending upon that market. If demand, = higher $, no demand, = lower$.

Other suggestions,
On your ad, just state the facts and features, interested parties can be filled in on the specifics and details. Simply mention needs minor maintenance, but you'd be much better off fixing those. Those items bring quality of construction issues into question and take away from the perception of value, maximize $$, or even getting offers.
Do the minor work required on the major things related to appearance and quality, major selling and pricing factors.
Fill and glue those bubbles because no one wants a delaminating trailer, or without a significant discount.

And of course, wait till spring or nicer weather.
Or tax return time. Will get a better price, more interest.
Good luck.

Thanks for the response. I know I’d be better if fixing the things up myself, which was my original plan. But as I said, at this point I’m occupied with other projects and going to at least try selling it as is. I’m not in a rush, though, so if I don’t get a decent offer now, I can wait a bit and try when it’s a little warmer.

There aren’t a lot of direct comps, with the unusual construction, which is why I was looking for ballpark estimate opinions to use as data points.

I will definitely take the laundry list out of the ad, though, as you’re the third or fourth person to mention it. I tend to go a bit overboard with full disclosure, but you’re right - not really necessary.

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:03 am

GPW wrote:How many times must we post the same pictures and text over and over again ??? :duh: We “Get it !!! “

I’m sorry my thread isn’t neat enough for you. If quoted text and pictures bothers you, you might want to use tapatalk. It neatly abbreviates these things and makes it easy to see what is a new response.

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:06 am

John61CT wrote:If you recover all your materials costs that would be pretty good IMO.

I’d have to go through and actually add it all up to figure out materials cost, honestly. I’m not so much worried about “did I lose money?” As I am just figuring out a starting point to put in the ad. I’m of split mind as to whether to factor in materials cost into this at all. On the one hand it seems logical, but on the other hand things are only worth what people will pay for them, so it seems a bit unrelated.

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 pm

better than a dart board

As you say it is psychology.

If **you** have some rational basis, even if not disclosed, the prospect is more likely to accept it.

Build time would rarely be reimbursed on a love/learning project like this.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies