Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Postby amandacreiglow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 am

John61CT wrote:
If **you** have some rational basis, even if not disclosed, the prospect is more likely to accept it.

Probably a good point. I’ll keep that in mind. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm

You could list a ball park figure of what you think you paid (plus a little wiggle room and remember to add in the cost of the chassis), and then add "OBO" after the price. (OBO = Or Best Offer)
Then, sit back and see what you get!

By the way, you've been very honest in your description, maybe even too much so.
You can explain some defects when the person is looking at it, so as not to scare them away.
Most people change things to "make it theirs" anyway; so, some things may not be a big deal.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Don L. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi,

Glad you are on to new things! I hope you are building another camper! I loved your thread about your build!

About a price, I'll guess, $1750. That should give you room to negotiate down some if needed.

I base that on the fact that I browse craiglist occasionally to see what is selling and I really never see anything livable or comfy for under $2500-3000. Anything in that price range are popups. And yours has the benefit of being lightweight which puts it in the range of more kinds of cars that can't tow a lot.
Your has a title too right? Also with popups you can't just open the door and go in, with yours you can. Just park and get in the camper, easy!
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:42 am

Don L. wrote:Hi,

Glad you are on to new things! I hope you are building another camper! I loved your thread about your build!

About a price, I'll guess, $1750. That should give you room to negotiate down some if needed.

I base that on the fact that I browse craiglist occasionally to see what is selling and I really never see anything livable or comfy for under $2500-3000. Anything in that price range are popups. And yours has the benefit of being lightweight which puts it in the range of more kinds of cars that can't tow a lot.
Your has a title too right? Also with popups you can't just open the door and go in, with yours you can. Just park and get in the camper, easy!

Thanks for your estimate! I'll factor it in. And thanks for enjoying my build thread. I enjoyed making it a lot. :)

I'm definitely planning on another foamie camper-like project, although probably not on a trailer base. I'm thinking I want to do a popup, but haven't decided whether that will be in a truck bed, as a rooftop tent for a car, or a sleeping capsule to go on the roofrack of a short bus conversion. In any case, it's going to wait until I'm done with my next project, which is pretty involved, and isn't a camper... but will give me a ton of practice cutting and gluing and pmfing foam panels, so there's that.

S. Heisley wrote:You could list a ball park figure of what you think you paid (plus a little wiggle room and remember to add in the cost of the chassis), and then add "OBO" after the price. (OBO = Or Best Offer)
Then, sit back and see what you get!

By the way, you've been very honest in your description, maybe even too much so.
You can explain some defects when the person is looking at it, so as not to scare them away.
Most people change things to "make it theirs" anyway; so, some things may not be a big deal.

Thanks, Sharon. Somehow I forgot about OBO. Not sure how, but that will definitely be in the ad when I relist it. And the jury is in and I think you're right - definitely don't need the laundry list. It is nice to hear that those issues aren't likely to be as big of a deal to some others, though. I think they grew in my head a little.
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby joshuag » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi! I loved your build. Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully you were able to sell it as planned.

With a rooftop, how will the dog get up there? I have a 70lb german shepherd and that stopped me from considering them. I even thought about building a flat-pack spiral staircase but she would probably be too afraid to use it :)

I'm hoping to do a pop-up as my first build. I'm in the cad modeling and "how big do I want this to be" stage. It's going to be a simplified clone of a Tipoon (which is linked in my sig).
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Again, I realize this is an older thread, but I recently completed the 23rd Unimog Fest in Ware, Mass, and may have a solution for you. (The Unimog Fest is an offroad gathering of Mercedes Benz Unimogs, Penzgaurs, Hummers, and in this case, my buddy Larry's lifted Range Rover Sport.)

The host of the event brings his "Hound Dog" on the run. Hound Dog rides in a large dog crate strapped into the bed of his "Mog", which to get over the bed rails is easily over shoulder height for me (I'm 6 ft).

He took an old section of aluminum extension ladder, cut it to an appropriate "ramp" length that accommodated his (granted, healthy young dog) and wraped it with an old comforter blanket.

This made a nice cushioned soft ramp, with rung "bays" for the dog to climb relatively easily. It was relatively light weight, more than adequatly durable, and it would be easy to store on a roof rack, on outside wall brackets, or in the bed of a tow vehicle.

The wrap material could be just about any weather proof material that the dog's claws wouldn't destroy. Even leftover canvas from a foamie build!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby amandacreiglow » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:25 pm

KCStudly wrote:Again, I realize this is an older thread, but I recently completed the 23rd Unimog Fest in Ware, Mass, and may have a solution for you. (The Unimog Fest is an offroad gathering of Mercedes Benz Unimogs, Penzgaurs, Hummers, and in this case, my buddy Larry's lifted Range Rover Sport.)

The host of the event brings his "Hound Dog" on the run. Hound Dog rides in a large dog crate strapped into the bed of his "Mog", which to get over the bed rails is easily over shoulder height for me (I'm 6 ft).

He took an old section of aluminum extension ladder, cut it to an appropriate "ramp" length that accommodated his (granted, healthy young dog) and wraped it with an old comforter blanket.

This made a nice cushioned soft ramp, with rung "bays" for the dog to climb relatively easily. It was relatively light weight, more than adequatly durable, and it would be easy to store on a roof rack, on outside wall brackets, or in the bed of a tow vehicle.

The wrap material could be just about any weather proof material that the dog's claws wouldn't destroy. Even leftover canvas from a foamie build!

Oh, don't know how I missed this! That sounds like a cool/useful idea... filing it away for future use. :)

So, I came back to this thread because today I'm saying goodbye to foamie. I ended up not finding a buyer when I was looking before, and figured I'd get around to putting it back out there, maybe after fixing a few things. But then I parked it at an angle at my new place, and it let some water get it. Then at some point the roof vent broke (I think something fell on it) and it let in a lot more water! This turned it into a bit of a mold farm, so in the end I put it up for free. This Wednesday, I'm closing on a new house up in Rhode Island (I'm in NC right now) and I can't drag this thing with me when I've got no immediate use for it. I got a ton of responses, and the people are hopefully towing it away as I type this (it's sitting on the other side of the property and due to covid and to ~*~feelings~*~ I don't want to watch).

In the end, going back through, this was a great project and I'm really glad I did it. It gave me a lot of confidence and I learned a ton. For the last year and change I've been living in a geodesic dome tiny house with fabric-skinned rigid foam panels for walls, and that definitely wouldn't have happened if I hadn't built foamie! I was actually planning on living in the domes another year, but life, as it so often does, had other plans. The woman who owns the land I've been renting decided to sell, so I found myself soon-to-be homeless. :thumbdown: The domes will live on eventually as a back yard pottery studio at the new place in theory, and I'll go back to living in an actual (if very small) house for a while!

All that to say, when I've settled into the house, I'll probably start planning in earnest for Foamie 2: Slideout Boogaloo. So keep an eye out for that! Coming soon to a forum thread near you. :) My current design is a large (ish) double-layer standie foamie with a slide out capsule on the side, which will hopefully be enough space for me and my neurotic dog to travel more comfortably for 4-6 week long trips at a time. That's the plan anyway... but since when has anything in my life gone to plan. :lol: I wanted to thank everyone again for your advice and moral support on foamie the first, though... it was a great journey that I'm glad I got to take and that I'm thankful you guys took along with me.
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby Postal_Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Amanda,
Could you please post some pictures of the domes. They sound inspirational for a project.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby joshuag » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Your build was very inspirational! Those domes sound amazing too. Sounds like you are living well. Good luck with your future build :)

Thanks KC! I was just getting ready to build a ramp for the dog and I think your recommendation is going to make it a lot simpler for me :)
-Joshua

I want to build a Tipoon clone foamie but I bought a truck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 pm

Postal_Dave wrote:Amanda,
Could you please post some pictures of the domes. They sound inspirational for a project.

Don't have any great pictures since I've been living in it unfinished in a lot of ways, so the structure is never very photogenic... I'll be sure to post a whole photoshoot when I eventually finish them, though. I built the two domes using the starplate system https://www.strombergschickens.com/site/starplate-building-system/with clear marine vinyl roofs and foam walls and a plastic cover, radiant barrier, and a fence privacy screen for looks. At the time I was strapped for cash and tired of living in someone else's house, so this was the cheapest livable structure I could envision that had any kind of insulation and wouldn't be permanent on the landscape. Between the two domes, I've got about 220 sqft, which is a bit smaller than I'd want to go in the future for long periods of time. I designed them to be easy to disassemble, but I guess I'll find out in a week if I succeeded. :lol:
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:27 pm

joshuag wrote:Your build was very inspirational! Those domes sound amazing too. Sounds like you are living well. Good luck with your future build :)

Thanks KC! I was just getting ready to build a ramp for the dog and I think your recommendation is going to make it a lot simpler for me :)

Thanks! Have you started your tipoon clone, yet? It looks like a fancier, tighter version of what I'm maybe aiming for, so a lot of good lessons, I imagine. :thinking: Also, very very cool... 8)
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby joshuag » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 am

Nope! Ha... I bought a truck instead, so now it's going to be a truck camper! Design change #1 million something something.

Those domes are really cool!
-Joshua

Tipoon Youtube
joshuag
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies