A Solar Traveler … A really BIG Foamie idea ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A Solar Traveler … A really BIG Foamie idea ...

Postby alchemist77 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Ok I really appreciate this design. I will modify it by going shorter and taller.say 14 long x 7 tall inside, add stop and turn signals above the rear door. Like the idea of flexible solar panels for the roof, any idea how well they might handle highway speed on the front? I have 3 harbor freight panels to play with. Which is better, steel or wood for the frame? Might be the Sofa Traveller

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:38 am

Up until now , we’ve thought of just carrying the solar panels along and setting them up on the campground . That way we don’t have to worry about the panels , AND storing the trailer inside .. It would seem for the longest solar panel life , we should cover them up when not being used ( especially the more economical HF panels ) … :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:24 am

HF panels are not economical panels. They are expensive per watt panels. Panel you can get online are lower cost per watt and of better quality. Solar panels is not a good buy from HF.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:05 pm

AND storing the trailer inside .. It would seem for the longest solar panel life...

Those things are made to be outside. They'll last longer than you and me. :oops:

(And I agree with Kenneth, stay away from those Harbor Freight panels.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 am

Ken , That’s true, the HF panels ( new ones ) are ~$1.50 a watt, their smaller units even more expensive. ( the old panels were ~$3.00 a watt) HD has much better single 100 watt panels for ~$1.00 a watt . I’m just saying that because some of us bought the old 45 Watt HF kit long ago when we didn’t know any better:duh: It might be good for charging your electric bicycle or your phone , but it doesn’t seem that useful for a trailer …( well, not all the stuff we want to run anyway ) :roll:
Although we’ve been fooling with solar projects for years now , we’re still have so much to learn , as the technology races ahead . The new Flexible panels look really “trailer friendly” ? I’ve been saving for a new project , just trying to think this out and get the best bang for my retirement buck. As I understand from reading , we want to optimize our solar system for what we really need , as too small a system won’t do it , and too large is more than we need ( expensive and wasteful, and we still have to haul it around.)
Discussion like this has turned out to be the best way of learning and making real progress ! I sure appreciate everybody’s thoughts on this being “theoretical” and all . One upon a time ,we posted about waterproofing wood , and look where that discussion led … :o
Having towed some 4000+ lb trailers ( 20 footers) , I’d Much rather tow something not quite so big and Half the weight . The commercial trailers are extremely heavy ( for me) and are so wasteful of space in the pursuit of Decorating alone , while not doing anything practical or contributing to the structure or longevity of the trailer . A Big Foamie built right and designed with an eye for practicality could be fairly large and still light and durable … The idea of a hybrid of wood frame and Foam walls seems to be an easy way to build it … I offer the FoamStream as the proof of concept … 6’ X 13.5’ … Three years living outside now … and aside from adding some simple drip edges and correcting a design error ( that trolley top) , it’s only requires washing now and then . The outer skin still tough and stiff !
Just saying , we could make that Bigger , round frame or square frame ... :thinking: and the framing doesn’t have to be 2X4's either … LIGHT… like an Airplane fuselage . Just sayin’ … if we ( or the wife) do want a Bigger foamie , that does seem doable … Al77’s idea of a 14X7 seems pretty Easy !! and weigh < a ton . ;)

Now the thought comes to mind that a Bigger foamie trailer “could” ( possibly) be built with mostly all FOAM , by using the thicker 4" and 6” thick foam … At those thicknesses , the foam does become more “structural” for the small increase in camper size.

All Ideas and possibilities … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 am

Now with recent design vs aerodynamic developments , we’re forced to abandon this idea … :o Solar is Good . Standy is good . Square edges = Easy , but not so good !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am

Now as things develop , cleaning in the Studio ,we found a box of EPP sheets ( Expanded polypropylene ) which is like the foam we use except in the heavier weights it’s almost indestructable , yet LIGHT.. ( and expensive !!!) Fortunately these are about 1/4” thick and very flexible , so we can ulilize this material to design and scale model camper trailers with more Aero friendly designs , unaffected by crosswinds, or passing semi’s … Just a thought !!! ( still, Not a Box ! ) :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies