Classic restorations on foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Classic restorations on foam?

Postby spacer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am

I've seen a bunch of folks snapping up classic trailers, especially since I'm in the Tin Can Tourist group of FB, and restoring them to their former glory.
I've also seen quite a few either doing resto-mods, or stripping them out for other uses. Members of the former group are sometimes surly about the latter group, especially when they gut
and modify a rare specimen.

Something I've been interested in doing, as I'm a photographer (trained amateur, though I've made a few bucks here and there... still working in I.T.), is a classic photobooth trailer. People appear to be loving these things, and
I figure if I work it right, it could be a livable trailer while still maintaining the photobooth space.

On the other hand... Seems like it might be fairly easy to pick a most attractive, and extremely rare, design... and re-create it with foam. Keep the look of the classic, and build the interior to suit whatever job needs done.
It could also be downsized a bit, especially if you don't need all the original space.

It could also be done with a more traditional teardrop shape, I suppose, as the traditional photobooth is a sit-down arrangement anyway.
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Re: Classic restorations on foam?

Postby spacer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:29 am

As an aside, it just occurred to me that a great way to practice the technique would be to build a traditional "booth" with the foamboard methods described on this forum. I could make it super light, quick to setup and take down,
and even size-adjustable by adding or removing panels as needed. I could use velcro straps to hold it together. The whole thing, save for the camera/printer package, would store flat, and would fit in the back of my car!

Sorry, that's getting way off topic for this forum, but getting some titebond time in before starting a trailer project would be a good thing.
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:53 am

Never heard of photo booth trailers, were they a thing at country fairs or something?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby spacer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:45 pm

I think they haven't quite saturated the market yet, but the idea is spreading and growing pretty fast.

If I did something like that, I'd make the mechanism portable, so I could remove it and use it indoors as well, and if the demand for these tapers off, I could still
use the camper as... a camper.
Attachments
photo-booth.jpg
photo-booth.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby tac422 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 pm

You don't need a whole trailer, you could make just the profile side of one, as a full size backdrop :thinking:
People could sit in the chairs in front of it...
tac422
500 Club

Postby spacer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Yeah, maybe some '60s style props, flamingos.... granny glasses....
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby spacer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm still warm on this idea, and my wife is slowly coming around. Ideas we've floated range from:
Starting out with a camera/printer "pod" arrangement, to be deployed at indoor events, or outdoors in decent weather and lighting... might not even need a printer for this, these days. Just channel the pics out to social media. This has become a popular option with photobooth operations lately.
An enclosed, and traditional, photobooth, but with maybe a classic-trailer facade on the customer facing side.
Then, an actual trailer, such as has been built by many on this forum, on a utility chassis, with some classic lines.

Might even mix it up for some outdoor events, as I used to sling Italian Ice out of a stepvan... and that made some seriously good money in the right venues.
Need a more 'serious' trailer for that, though, with the regulatory burden in our state. We might be able to double up on the space at some trade events, though. Have a cold, delicious Ice while waiting your turn at the photo booth. :thumbsup:
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies