Turn your Foamie trailer into a Stereo …

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Turn your Foamie trailer into a Stereo …

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 am

GPW wrote:We did the test of this on a 3/4” piece of Fomular , and it was a miserable failure !!! Not very loud , not very good Tones … Scratching this off my list ... :thumbdown:

But, But, But, I saw it on the internet. It has to be true!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Sparks , I have another unit to try , and some other materials to test , but for now I’ll just stick with a pair of headphones for the trailer … Image
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby hedg12 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am

Hey there, lurker sneaking out from the shadows here because I might finally have something useful to add...

These "exciters" need to be mounted on a somewhat rigid surface that will react to their vibrations - I'd imagine the foam doesn't vibrate too well. If you have a glass/plexiglass window or a wood cabinet door you might try them there.
In a previous job we installed a few of these in some retail locations inside some custom merchandise displays. The displays were 2x2 foot open faced cubes with 1/4 inch tempered glass panels in the back that we attached the exciters to. They sounded OK for what they were - not high fidelity, but they reproduced the spoken audio tracks well enough to suit the purpose. They'd probably be OK for background music if you can get a good resonating panel to mount them on.
hedg12
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:56 am

I've only heard the term exciter recently. How do they differ from a speaker?
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Sparks , it seems the speakers are LOUD , ,and the exciters are little versions of them ( sans cones ) that glue to bigger flat surfaces and induce vibrations into those surfaces at an audio rate … We have more testng to do but so far don’t find them very “exciting" …. :NC
I was thinking if we don’t have room for real speakers in a trailer , or are saving space and weight , these might work … we’re still testing more possibilities , perhaps even mounting one on the trailer wall ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 04, 2018 6:22 am

The way I understand it, an exciter is just the magnet coil and core (weight) with no surround or diaphragm. Where as a speaker uses the magnet to move the core, and thus "drive" the cone to move air and form a sound wave, the exciter needs to be attached to a free hanging baffle, so that it can move the baffle and thus move air. If the baffle is not free to move it won't, and if it is not rigid it will just wiggle, and thus will not move air with authority. So a wall or cabinet door will probably not yield very good results; the panel needs to be suspended by something flexible, like fishing line.

Similar to free air speakers, or baffled chambers, the sound from panels can be a bit muddy because the air is moved in multiple directions, allowing some of the sound waves to cancel each other. I have always preferred sealed enclosures. They have to work a lot harder to compress and expand the sealed volume of air (hence greater power requirements) but because of the directed sound wave, they give a much cleaner crisper sound to my ear.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 04, 2018 4:28 pm

I’m just going by their supplied info … :duh: https://www.parts-express.com/resources ... e-exciters
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CharlieL » Fri May 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Please don't. I probably won't like your music and I KNOW you won't like mine.
Someday I will get off my rump and jump into a build, Thanks folks, for the info. and the things y'all do for one another

Charlie
CharlieL
Teardrop Builder

Postby Don L. » Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Yeah really, I hope I'm not camping too close to someone with a stereo playing some emotionally wrenching music. Blecchh! I live in a city and I go camping to get away from that stuff.
I want to hear wind, leaves, birds, whatever is alive and unique to where I camp.

Now play a guitar or fiddle or sing gently around a campfire, that is real music.

Okay, end of rant.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat May 05, 2018 7:28 am

Well just remember , not everybody camps the same … Our intent is to use the trailer for Hurricane Evacuation where we will be camping ALONE in somebody’s backyard or driveway … More likely listening to the tragedy develop on radio or TV news …
Sorry we don’t do this for Fun , but Survival … and no worries because these devices don’t work very Loud anyway … so nobody will be offended … or camping near us …

If I camped near somebody whose music was “offensive” to me , I wouldn’t get offended , I’d just move somewhere else … ;) To each his own … :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies