Canvas or Fiberglass Screen

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Canvas or Fiberglass Screen

Postby Homebrewer25 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:15 am

I'm looking for opinions on which would be 'best' to use to skin a foamie. I know most here use canvas (either HF drop cloths or Big Duck Canvas) and diluted TB2, but I saw a YouTube video the other day and the guy used fiberglass screen and Glidden Gripper. So I started wondering whether this would be another option for skinning foam.

What do you think? Canvas or FG screen?
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Re: Canvas or Fiberglass Screen

Postby camperRN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:24 pm

I've seen where people use screen to add strength in other xps foam projects. The downside to using it for a camper would be the look but that's subjective. It seems to be pretty strong.
Camper RN
camperRN
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 am

#1 Screen won't contract ( shrink) and pull the skin tight … :o

Seeing something on You Tube can be entertaining , even thought provoking , but that's right “when" they did it , not a couple years down the road … seeing how it turned out ( that’s another You Tube video years later ) :thinking: ( anybody watch Mustie1 ? )
Without long term testing ( like we do here ;) ) it’s more like just an Opinion, and as we know now, not everybody’s opinion is actually TRUE !!! :o

And JMHO , screen is just one more of the many ways of making it “a better way" , where the canvas alone has proven itself over the years of actual travel and use , to be plenty Strong enough … :thumbsup:

You might be able to make it “better" , but it’s just making extra work for yourself, and it may not heal /repair itself as easily as a simple “Hard Tent “ ... ???

But it’s all in what YOU want to do , so if you have a good idea then try it out , then tell us … that’s how we all SHARE the information about what does work …and just sayin’ , pretty much Everything has worked so far8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 am

I think the screen has the potential to maximize strength vs weight in flat panels. But for any thing with compound curves, even a simple profile curve with a rounded over edge, the screen just won't flex/stretch/warp around. Then you might add all of the weight you saved filling the weave (even just filling it to where the pattern is less obvious).

In the grand scheme of things, I think it adds more complexity than any advantage it might bring to the table. (Disclosure: I have never used screen for PMF, but I know a thing or two about supposedly simple techniques "blowing up in my face" and becoming long more difficult/tedious processes than expected.) There are several areas on my build where I took the long way to save a few ounces here and there. I don't regret (all of) them, but there were times where I just wished that I had added a bit more wood (weight) and had been done with it. In the grand scheme of things a few ounces/sq yd probably won't hurt that much.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Foamies