securing wiring to canvas ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

securing wiring to canvas ?

Postby rustytoolss » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 am

I've been doing my wiring (12 volt). And have to secure my wires to the canvas in some places (in the interior). I've tried duct tape. But it seamed to work/ but later the wires were hanging loose again (due to heat I guess). Anyone got a good plan to secure wires to the canvas ???
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: securing wiring to canvas ?

Postby Nodrog » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:05 am

Hi! I cut some small channel on the table saw, then taped it over wires and ran a tiny bead of acrylic caulk on the edges with one of those small tubes with a skinny tip. Did this over the cloth covering. Also, hanger clips could be used at intervals. I am using the shortest metal drywall anchors, the kind that screw in, to insert anchors in the foam. select a shorter screw of similar diameter to what they include with the anchors, and screw it in and out a couple of times to make sure it will go in easy. Use a bit about 3/16, screw it in carefully, then use a bamboo skewer ( small stick) to put about 3 1/4 inch diameter gobs of gorilla glue in the hole. Put a little more glue on end of anchor, carefully screw it in snug to the canvas or covering. When the glue sets and expands, the anchors will hold a LOT! Like pounds and pounds! Just check as the glue sets, you can wipe any small glue squeeze outs with a rag with 91 percent alcohol. I will soon use them to secure my exterior lights, they will be overkill for that, but will neatly insert and be waterproof attachment points. I bought the anchors @ Lowes, @ $7 for 25 pieces. Maybe this will help you? Later....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 am

In a pinch , try Gorilla tape … it STICKS … !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:32 am

Hey GPW- yah, that would also work, but on reflection I believe channel could be made by splitting, say, 1/2 cpvc pipe and securing at edges with caulk. The fittings- els, etc could also be modified to make neat corners. Prolly could paint with acrylic/latex. maybe sand lightly and prime for adhesion. A bandsaw would be handy to split pipe, but could be hacksawed then sanded, I think....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:03 am

Nod… We make longbows and recurve bows out of PVC pipe and while it cuts across easily , it could be a “bear" to split lengthwise ... :NC

JMHO, I try not to build stuff in like that in , until long after you ve thought about it and tried simpler things first … my current ( excuse the Pun) electrical system is a short GFI adapter and a long extension cord … everything plugs into that … Easily replaced , or modified should needs change … You have to “Live with it” to clearly understand what you actually need and what is just excess baggage … I used to bring a lot of extra “stuff” that I never used … dead weight ...
Attachments
FSelectrical.JPG
FSelectrical.JPG (160.92 KiB) Viewed 535 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies