foam tear table

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

foam tear table

Postby andrew7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:50 pm

I have been searching old threads but have not found what I want. I am interested in a wood folding flat picnic table, similar to this one viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33744. I did not want to make it from 3/4 or larger plywood, I was thinking of laminated 1/2 xps with luan on both sides. I figured it would weight half as much 20# vs 40#, thought of using gripper or titebond to make a 7/8" panel and cut from down there. :thinking:
I was also leaning toward this one https://www.instructables.com/id/Flat-p ... nic-Table/
Any thoughts, I made one panel for my 3d printer to bolt down to and was impressed with lightness and strength.
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Re: foam tear table

Postby John61CT » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:18 pm

I'd make it out of just foam first, then skin it after. Don't think luan would stand up to the wear & tear myself, unless encapsulated in epoxy or something.

Did you want it to **look** woodish?

Those mystery-van videos' technique using gripper + screening for strength, then varnished brown-paper as an aesthetic skin always intrigued me. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby andrew7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 pm

I like a more rustic wood type look. I am planning on building a Grubby 2 camp kitchen box this winter. I have been playing with foam and like the light weight but not the look I'm going for. My foam cabinet was just to test a paper bag finish and covering technique. The idea is, down the road add it to a foamie trailer. I checked some plywood weights and they are about 60# for 3/4" sheets. I built a $30 laun beater boat and it lasted many years for river cruises so I feel I could coat it well enough. I was wondering if anybody did foam lamination otherwise I have to be the guinea pig.
Attachments
picnic.jpg
picnic.jpg (207.87 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:23 am

You may First consider making a small “test” piece of furniture to see if your ideas work .. Maybe something like a Teardrop Ottoman … or a small stool to SIT on … ( another test) ..
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 am

Have you got a link to your PMF cabinet build?

So luan it is. You thinking finished edges too? I'd probably go screen and/or canvas edging, with strong (urethane or epoxy?) paint whatever color you like,

glue pre-stained luan on the flats,

and finally encapsulate all 'round in a strong clearish sealant (urethane or epoxy?) coating.

IMO more durable than trying to laminate the edges in luan, and not trying for a full faux-solid wood effect, more of a "modern composites" look.

Would need to take the outer coating thickness into account in the fit-together slot dimensions.

Maybe a tough slippery plastic strip between those mount points where you'd usually get friction-wear, would probably help longevity and prevent wobbling.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Xanthoman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I have plans to build laminated countertop extensions for my teardrop. I am planning on using 1/8” plywood with Formica(that looks like petrified wood) for the tops and 1/8 inch plywood for the bottoms. I am hoping to hold quite a bit of weight on mine so I am using three-quarter by three-quarter angle aluminum 1/20 inch thick, as supports along the length and around the edges to hold screws for the hinged leg and swingout mounts. I plan to use 1/2” Dow Styrofoam in blue found at my local Lowe’s. As far as gluing it I plan to spray/roll Bullseye Primer and once it’s fully dried use Weldwood contact cement, like regular laminate countertop installation.
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby andrew7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Xan, sounds like a good, strong and light taple top. I did a glue up on a seat suport to see it its worth while, I'll give it a couple days to dry and test it.
John, I have a couple pictures of it under foamie cabinet thread, three or four down from this thread. I did not use canvas on it, trying different building technique. I am not dead set on luan it may be easier to use 3/4" ply and swiss cheese it.

The light weight of foam is addicting, that is why I am trying to build everything as light as I can. Why do we need to put 20# of clothes in a 200# dresser then build a trailer around it?
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:58 am

“ The light weight of foam is addicting, that is why I am trying to build everything as light as I can. Why do we need to put 20# of clothes in a 200# dresser then build a trailer around it? “

That’s the whole point ... ;) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 am

Yes with the foam / canvas cabinet work, a full wraparound overhead + kitchen + storage cubbies along one wall,

total added weight was under 35lbs.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 am

I know you're looking for a DIY table but we really like our roll table.

It's quick to deploy and doesn't take up much space while traveling. Of course, it requires a couple of camp chairs scooted up to it. (But ya gotta have camp chairs, eh?)

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:I know you're looking for a DIY table but we really like our roll table.

It's quick to deploy and doesn't take up much space while traveling. Of course, it requires a couple of camp chairs scooted up to it. (But ya gotta have camp chairs, eh?)

Tony

Who eats with a wrench?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:
tony.latham wrote:I know you're looking for a DIY table but we really like our roll table.

Tony

Who eats with a wrench?

I cook with one. Channel Locks make for a great Dutch oven lid lifter.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:48 pm

I did an xps foam and Baltic birch 3mm plywood table for my build dinette. I can dance on it when it is in bed mode. It is 1 inch thick total. Used PL premium as glue.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Postby andrew7 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am

I was looking at something like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Outsunny-Portabl ... ble+travel

I did a small cross board layup and it came out very strong, 7/8" thick. I may spend the next month doing other laminate boards and see how the table progresses. If a certain board turns out weaker maybe replace it with ply.
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby andrew7 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Thank you Tony, you made things a lot easier. Its nice when people present different ideas as possibilities. I started scaling up the picnic table and figuring what I was going to need. I would have to buy 2 more 4x8 luan sheets and 1/2" foam sheet to build it. I had enough for the table top only and thought I would start there. Then thinking of Tony's roll up and camp chairs realized he was right. I had a base I just built, make the top with what I had, add camp chairs and I'm done. No sense in bringing more stuff that's not needed. I appreciate every ones input. I have enough stuff to build. :hammer:
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies