Foamie an enclosed utility trailer?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie an enclosed utility trailer?

Postby MatBirch » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:34 pm

In planning my build, working through requirements, wife’s wishes, etc., I’m trying to settle on a final design.
While everything in life is a compromise, I’m attempting to make the best of it.
I’ll start with a little bit of background and needs
First off- Dirt biking! I love riding, the wife doesn’t ride dirt bikes, only street. I was forced a few years back to move to Washington and left to deal with WET. that makes mud when combined with a dirtbike. I am sick of going on, or worse yet missing trips in the 3 seasons because all I have is a tent. A standard TD is out because I can’t see climbing into what is essentially my bed while muddy and wet, or stripping down in the cold and wet outside first. I need to be able to climb in and then clean up.
Wife- she’s super easy going. Wants access to a potty first thing in the am without too much work. Does not need a permanent toilet w/ tank. Next, she does not want to cook outside when it’s nasty out. Still enjoys tenting it, and her plan is really just a counter space to put the camp stove on. Easy peezy.
What I want for her is warm, dry comfortable, place to hangout for the day. In our group, she’s really the only one who doesn’t ride. While the other wives aren’t necessarily as dedicated as we are, there are times of the day that she would be the only one in camp. Consequently, she doesn’t even go at this point. :(
We’ve discussed all our options at length, and a cargo trailer would well. A simple cabinet/counter halfway across the front wall with a toilet closet making the other half. A folding bed, and using our existing camp tables and chairs. DONE! Super simple and room to haul my bike. And a “utility trailer” for other stuff in between, or even long term storage for more bikes.
Now that I’m going to build, the sky is the limit so to speak.
I have a 14’ frame from an old rv. I can easily build a box on it. I’m thinking of a cargo trailer shape with a rear door. I don’t need a full width door, just a slightly wider man-door. Big enough to get bikes in. It takes about 8’ for a full size dirtbike, so that would leave about 5-6’ for permenant built in structures like counters and bathroom.

Another option is shortening the cabin down to maybe 12’ and adding racks on the tongue for the bike(s). Security is an issue, but cleanliness is the offset. I could then build a far more cozy interior.

Would a foamie in an “open box” be strong enough at 14 x 7 x 6h?
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Foamie an enclosed utility trailer?

Postby Bob Hammond » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Hmm, there are also issues of balancing the load - the distribution of weight between the tongue (and vehicle hitch capacity) and the wheels. Could you weld racks for the bikes in the transverse direction instead of fore-aft? That would allow more length for the cabin. Also, you could weld on some framing to strengthen the walls and roof cabin, and I think gorilla or another PU glue would adhere the foam to the steel. How much reinforcement would be necessary? Well, that may depend on how far off the road your take the trailer.

I just measured a bathroom in my house. A space of 36" w by 72" L would allow for a toilet and a closet. Here's an old article from 1932 of a tiny camper that might give you ideas.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69881
Curator
Museum of Unfinished Projects
Bob Hammond
Teardrop Master

Postby MatBirch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks Bob
If I go “toyhauler mode”, the bikes would be loaded straight in, and tied in with reinforced anchor points in the floor. This would give me 14’ OD, plus a tongue box.
If I keep them outside, and build a “traditional” cabin, they would sit perpendicular. My 350 would be rearmost, against the cabin front, and my son’s 100 would sit a little further out on the tongue. I think I could maintain at least 12’ OD with this configuration. This arrangement would increase tongue weight on the TV, but no more than how I normally carry them on a hitch carrier. I don’t think with a lightweight foamie, I would have issues with too little tongue weight and sway/ control issues when I don’t have the bikes on.

14 vs 12 is another sheet of plywood flooring, at least 2, if not 3 sheets of foam, about 70sq. ft of canvas, paint, etc, plus whatever interior lining. At least a couple hundred bucks.
12 vs 14 is a lifetime of 2 foot-itis! Oh... and a little cleaner space without dirtbike tracks for the wife. :lol:
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:03 am

You keep gas and oil out of the living quarters if the bikes are outside. So a spill or leak doesn't stink up the living quarters.

I have a much smaller toy hauler for a small motorcycle to get back to the cars on river canoeing trips. A hot motorcycle leaves a detectable smell in the trailer for several hours even without a spill.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MatBirch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 am

Pmullen503 wrote:A hot motorcycle leaves a detectable smell in the trailer for several hours even without a spill.

You say that like it’s a BAD thing!?!? 8) 8)
MatBirch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:04 pm

MatBirch wrote: You say that like it’s a BAD thing!?!? 8) 8)

My better half doesn't like it......those smells evoke happy feelings for me.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies