T Rex Range Extending Foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

T Rex Range Extending Foamie

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

I just realized that I haven't posted a thread about my build. I dont see how that is possible considering the fact that I check in here every day.

I own an EV. I have always loved camping and traveling. I wanted to be able to continue to do both. My EV gets around 120-130 miles by itself.

I built the worlds first fully functional EV range extending trailer. I call this trailer the T Rex for Trailer Range Extender. For my first version I get around 240-260 miles with my Toyota Rav4 EV. However my T Rex V1 trailer is only a 40 kwh battery on an aluminum frame with no camper. My T Rex V2 that I am currently building is a foamie built on top of a Tesla 85kwh battery pack. It should get me around 300-350 miles. Long enough to get to the next charging station or camp ground.

if this interests you, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole. LOL I have documented everything on my unedited, unprofessional, youtube channel. You can find it at
youtube.com/jimbo69ny

I know mileage isnt really an issue for you gas guys but I wanted to combine my two interests. It has not been cheap but its been fairly smooth so far. Subscribe and/or ask me if you have any questions.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Re: T Rex Range Extending Foamie

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Here is a playlist with the very first long range road trip with my T Rex V1. Its not camper related at all so be warned. Its from June 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzdT0_W ... b-pNzuknbe
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Here is a playlist showing the beginning of my T Rex V2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS4M3zRrzRw&list=PLuMPs5qUmnoTMz2WclNdQCdVMRR9UJ10a

This one will include a foamie camper on top of an enormous battery.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 pm

Here is a playlist that includes only foamie related stuff. I am currently building the kitchen so this playlist will continue to grow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6YzD0feZGk&list=PLuMPs5qUmnoTlBkwedPTYQXe98uv4rsCT
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:28 pm

I dont pretend to know everything about building a foamie or teardrop. Far from it. From the start this is all just one huge, EXPENSIVE, experiment.

I am super boring and I spend nearly zero time editing or modifying my videos. I hope you enjoy them nonetheless.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby jimbo69ny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I met a youtuber and showed him my T Rex V1. Here is that video.
https://youtu.be/Qb7vg08zluQ
There are a few other articles written about me and V1 but that doesnt really matter.

I'm sure there will be more info in V2 once its done. I am hoping to wrap the camper in the next couple weeks depending on the weather.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 am

A “powered” Foamie … COOL !!! 8) … technically , the electricity could be used to power your camping gear too ( all electric ) :thumbsup: ‘’ Ps. looks like room on the top for some solar panels , without ( or maybe with) a cabin on top of the pack ... :thinking: … ( might as well eh ?)

Gosh!!! Now Everybody will want one … :thumbsup: Thanks Jim !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 am

Sorry to be that guy, but

Sleeping right on top of those cells, enclosed in a box made of toxic flammable foam.

What could go wrong?

https://www.google.com/search?q=burning ... ning+Tesla

And that's **with** the batteries embedded within the protective systems Elon spent multi-millions engineering.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am

You could be Toast !!! But that never stopped people from doing dangerous things … take skydiving for instance… What could go wrong ??? :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 am

https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/20/bu ... rre-twist/ ... :o "According to Electrek, statistical evidence shows that EVs are no more likely to catch fire than any other vehicle.” …
And then there is already developed a solid state battery that does NOT have a Flammable electrolyte, solving that problem and saving the Toast only for your breakfast table ( in your electric Foamie trailer ) 8) Just have to wait for the market to change over … ( see: Profitable )

Remember all your mobile devices /laptops now have the Flammable batteries … so the lesson is … Don’t shoot your smart phone !!! :o ( as much as sometimes you want to ) :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jimbo69ny » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am

John61CT wrote:Sorry to be that guy, but

Sleeping right on top of those cells, enclosed in a box made of toxic flammable foam.

What could go wrong?

https://www.google.com/search?q=burning ... ning+Tesla

And that's **with** the batteries embedded within the protective systems Elon spent multi-millions engineering.

Ive been hearing stuff like this for years. Im going to burn my house down, Im going to kill my family, Im a danger to others on the road,.... on and on. So lame. Is amazing some people leave the house because they are so afraid haha

Its safe, its good, Im not going to kill anyone.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 am

Sure as with propane good to be aware of higher risks.

But nothing riskier than highway driving I s'pose.

Still, I'll wait for engineered open BMS to come out before I'll use anything but LFP myself, and temp cutoffs if not full temp control.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 am

“ But nothing riskier than highway driving I s’pose. “ … Around here they Shoot at you on the highway … :frightened:
A “cultural” problem …

Being an old Van Camper , We always worried about sleeping a top 20 gallons of Gasoline … :o But we did !!! 
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies