Deer Blind

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Deer Blind

Postby Petero58 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:22 pm

What is the recommendation for sandwiched floor as far as what size plywood to use? Is foam bottom, then topped with 3/8 plywood strong enough? As mentioned before, all of it wrapped in one big "sock".

I took a screenshot of my quick dimension drawings. These are rough drawings just to give me estimate on how many foam boards to buy.
Attachments
stand dim.jpg
stand dim.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Petero58 wrote:What is the recommendation for sandwiched floor as far as what size plywood to use? Is foam bottom, then topped with 3/8 plywood strong enough? As mentioned before, all of it wrapped in one big "sock".

I took a screenshot of my quick dimension drawings. These are rough drawings just to give me estimate on how many foam boards to buy.

You need to have plywood skins top and bottom of the foam core properly glued and screwed to internal and perimeter boards. How thick the skins need to be depends on how thick the core is and how far you need to span. How tall is the stand and will it have joints to carry the live loads on the floor or will the floor have to span the full five feet?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:57 am

Several years back when I was having some roof work , the roofing crew spotted my old Foamie #1 , and the first thing they asked was could I make one with a pop up top for Hunting … I told them “Sure !!!” … By the end of the job , they were planning on going back to the shop making their own as they had all the Foam /resources there , and a shop too … :thumbsup:

For a hunting blind floor , I’d just get some thick OSB flooring underlayment and nail that to some (3) wooden skids ( 2X4 ) and slobber the whole thing with the mix …Drag it out to the woods , shouldn’t take much … PMF sides and top would be a blank canvas for CAMO painting ... 8) Just a Box eh … Keep it real simple !!! … JMHO
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Petero58 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:08 am

GPW wrote:Several years back when I was having some roof work , the roofing crew spotted my old Foamie #1 , and the first thing they asked was could I make one with a pop up top for Hunting … I told them “Sure !!!” … By the end of the job , they were planning on going back to the shop making their own as they had all the Foam /resources there , and a shop too … :thumbsup:

For a hunting blind floor , I’d just get some thick OSB flooring underlayment and nail that to some (3) wooden skids ( 2X4 ) and slobber the whole thing with the mix …Drag it out to the woods , shouldn’t take much … PMF sides and top would be a blank canvas for CAMO painting ... 8) Just a Box eh … Keep it real simple !!! … JMHO

This is exactly what I am going for, simple. But part of the reason for me going this route (PMF) is I am tired of rebuilding every 4-5 years when I use just plywood and paint. I want to do it right and do it once.

I see where you are going with the bottom, def going to slather with the mix, but how would you recommend securing the sides to that base?
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 am

Wrap the canvas down the sides and under the floor for several inches and glue it to the floor. The sheer strength of 6 or more inches of canvas glued to wood is very high. The canvas will fail before the glue joint will.

For longevity, I would incorporate a drip edge so water (rain, dew etc) won't crawl around the corner and soak the underside. It's prolonged contact with water that destroys most man made things.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Petero58 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Really appreciate everyones input. It has been really helpful.

I am ready to start the build and will start documenting the process as I progress for those that are interested.
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:55 pm

OSB is not a good floor option. Use an exterior grade plywood.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:51 am

Well then , JMHO … if you’re not going to trailer it , you can build it pretty much the way you want , and after being a Hunter (bowhunter) and a builder , I’d recommend some type of LIGHT inner wood framing ( pressure treated , you can get #1 clear and dry ) then a foam covering , and you can make that out of whatever and Thicker if you want ( thicker is stronger ) … The wood frame would add rigidity , and provide many places for a hook to hang your lantern , bag of supplies , and thermos’s of Coffee , and Dinty Moore beef Stew … ;)

For covering , don’t waste your money on canvas …. Find some heavy duty Burlap bags like coffee bags ( Free if you look around ), cut them open and glue them on overlapping each other like scales … Instant camo !!! … Tough for years of service , easily patchable , if needed …

Ugly enough , nobody will “F” with it … :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Petero58 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:18 pm

GPW wrote:Well then , JMHO … if you’re not going to trailer it , you can build it pretty much the way you want , and after being a Hunter (bowhunter) and a builder , I’d recommend some type of LIGHT inner wood framing ( pressure treated , you can get #1 clear and dry ) then a foam covering , and you can make that out of whatever and Thicker if you want ( thicker is stronger ) … The wood frame would add rigidity , and provide many places for a hook to hang your lantern , bag of supplies , and thermos’s of Coffee , and Dinty Moore beef Stew … ;)

For covering , don’t waste your money on canvas …. Find some heavy duty Burlap bags like coffee bags ( Free if you look around ), cut them open and glue them on overlapping each other like scales … Instant camo !!! … Tough for years of service , easily patchable , if needed …

Ugly enough , nobody will “F” with it … :lol:

That’s too funny. Already ordered the canvas, although I may run out for the inside so will take your advice if so. Just purchased the 1” foam boards and some 2x2s. Going to start this weekend.
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 am

Please send pictures as you go … :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Petero58 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Alright. Got quite a bit done over the weekend. I went ahead and went with 2x2 framing. A little heavier than what I originally planned, but I still think it’s going to entirely lighter than previous blinds I’ve built using 2x4s and plywood.

A couple mistakes already made and lessons learned:

1) I tried cutting the front wall panels with a utility knife. That was a mistake. Really wavy lines. Not sure why I didn’t use the jig saw the first time. Cut like butter, and straight.

2) Maybe I should have tried it on a test piece first, but had the bright idea that a shot of clear flex seal couldn’t hurt the top corners. Wrong. Had no idea it would eat through the foam. Lesson learned. It didn’t damage it beyond repair, but definitely going to need some spray foam to touch up.

Canvas and TB3 should be here in the next day or so.

Thanks for all the input.

I will add the photos tomorrow. Can’t upload straight from iPhone.
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Petero58 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 am

Here are the progress pics so far. I was able to get the roof on last night. Gorrilla glue and painters tape to hold the join for now.

I will pick up some great stuff foam today and get the corners real good and then sand the corners tomorrow. I am thinking about rounding off all the square edges just for looks, but not sure yet.
Attachments
Stand 3.jpg
Stand 3.jpg (220.31 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Stand 2.jpg
Stand 2.jpg (250.05 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Stand 1.jpg
Stand 1.jpg (264.09 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Petero58 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 am

One more
Attachments
stand 4.jpg
stand 4.jpg (264.72 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Petero58 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Any recommendations for sanding and rounding the hard edges a bit? Tried my orbital sander but the foam seems to be too soft and not easy to get a steady finish.

May try my rotary tool tomorrow.
Petero58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:10 am

Looks Good !!! Try a Rasp …. :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies