Truck cap/Camper cap build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck cap/Camper cap build

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:28 am

RJ , looks realy GOOD !!! Bet it’s quite a bit lighter than a standard topper … COOL !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 am

GPW wrote:RJ , looks realy GOOD !!! Bet it’s quite a bit lighter than a standard topper … COOL !!! 8)

I can't lift my low profile fiberglass top alone, major PITA to remove and re-install. This one I can lift alone. Oh ya, much lighter!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Rear hatch is now fitted! WHOA!! Time to make that decision about the hinge.. :thinking: I have a piano hinge around here, yet don't want the hardware showing. I know I could (and probably need to) cover the upper part with canvas.. That time is coming up soon..

Today started of with trimming several areas of over-lap I just didn't like. Well worth doing and like it much better!
Also painted up the interior of the window covers (ran out of time yesterday) and velcro'ed the cloth. I ended up using the self adhesive stuff I have around and using my fabric glue. That came from breaking two needles attempting to sew them in due to the adhesive on the velcro,,, keep getting the needle sticky. Guess I could have oiled the needle as I did it.. Good fall back if required. One side shrunk a 1/2" and have to re-do, at some point.

Image. Image. Image

That worked better than I thought it would! :beer:

I have epoxy tape at the top hoping that would rain seal it and velcro on the other 3 edges. I like the inside fold to open them being if raining, I could just open an inch or so and it may not enter. Here's wishin' and hopin' ..

Tomorrow brings stiffening the hatch with some 3/4" wood strips and canvassing it. That gives me some time to figure the approach of the hinge and latches.

I'm getting so close now! Starting to plan a Foliage Run! :D
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Note: What would I have done different on the windows? Diffently would have routed them in deeper! Flush would have been awesome, yet just a bit deeper would also have been better.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Today's progress was not as much as I hope, yet progress.

Hatch is now cover, mostly, still working edges and back lap. I did rout the windows in deeper and like that much better! The epoxy tale on painted canvas failed.. But, the velcro (and using the fabric glue, is working great! I will add the velcro along the top edge. With the cover now recessed in, I see the rain going right over (fingers crossed).

Also came up with a thought on the hinge I'm going to try. I made a strip of canvas, doubled up (a tube) and reversed after sewing. Looked at it and grabbed the piano hinge and slipped it in. Cool! If this works, I get my mechanical hinge and the cloth look. :twisted:

Pictures when the hatch is installed.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Looking great! Bet you are getting ready to give it a trial run soon!
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:55 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:Looking great! Bet you are getting ready to give it a trial run soon!

Oh ya I am!! I have a unique spot picked out that I tripped across. As with what your building, we can slip into tenters spots and utilize! Our footprint is even smaller!!

Can't wait to see you in building progress! You have something very unique in mind.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 pm

I like what you have done...
I can't wait for a critique on those window covers.
I have a Ranger that can use something similar..

Thanks.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Okay, that sock idea was crap and looked ugly.. With the hatch covered and coated it's attached. I really don't like that much metal showing.. :thumbdown:

So onward to another idea. How to paint or cover. I went for the epoxy tape again. At least the adhesive will grab the paint and I can blend from there. Happier, yet not quite there yet. Would have been happier if the cloth cover worked.. Texture would have matched and the screws heads wouldn't show as much.. As this dries in, I do believe the lines you see will not show as much (this is still wet). Should it have been routed in before canvas? A good debate! Yes I debated that issue. I wanted that canvas on canvas bond when closed believing it's a better rain seal. I do like adding hardware while the paint is still tacky (or coating again to obtain that seal).

Latch system will be made shortly, yet it will only show on the inside. I like the idea of having to open the tailgate to access the latch. Nothing shown! Besides the tailgate locks and secures the cap. Likin' that part!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:58 pm

How are you keeping the hatch from leaking?

The hinge looks good. I am not sure why, but I was expecting the hatch to be wider on your build... I mean it looks good, just not what I thought you were doing...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:How are you keeping the hatch from leaking?

The hinge looks good. I am not sure why, but I was expecting the hatch to be wider on your build... I mean it looks good, just not what I thought you were doing...

Yes the full length would be good. Yet what I'm seeing, and yet to be proved, Is that canvas on canvas connection. I'm just not seeing anything under 20 knot blow leaking inward. Now with what I'm about to do will change this even more! :) That will be shown further down the road. :roll:

If the hatch as shown was the final solution, then yes, a longer type of cover. Back to the canvas overlay which I didn't like. Will I end up with a canvas over-lay? Maybe, just not seeing it right now. Especially with what I have in mind.. I'm enlisting some sewing advise and help from my daughter to get through the next step.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:15 am

dbhosttexas wrote: I was expecting the hatch to be wider on your build... .

Missed that part.. sorry. Being the first attempt at foamie building, I just wasn't sure how much material would be needed on the sides of the hatch. I probably could have gone wider, but then I probably would rout in some 1/4" plywood. I did enforce the vertical seams both inside and outside and that stiffen the corners far more than I imagined it could.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:39 am

Well DB, you got me thinking again.. The idea out back is to try to utilize the tailgate space. Thought being to use some of the left over canvas and make a tent of sorts. This means the hatch would be open and there's a leak!. Also want this attached from the inside. Guess I am going back to some sort of canvas rain diverter above the hatch.. I'm not liking the paint over the hinge anyway. I've come too far to do something tacky at this point!

Headed out today to the local tool discount warehouse to get 4 C-clamps to attach the topper for now. I'm hoping to find some sort of rubber material there to place between the top and the bed-rail. Something like a garage door bottom seal.. :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 pm

I couldn't find what I hoped for as the gasket and anded up using some rubber base I have around. I'll find something better down the road.. For now it will get us camping!

I did a quick flip latch to secure the hatch. Needs a shim on the foam and of course knobs and a better stay. Again, for right now, fine and will improve as I go. I like nothing exposed on the exterior. Drop the tailgate, reach in to flip the latch and open it up! Since the tailgate has a lock, it's as secure as you'd hope it to be. Heck I could even lift the tailgate, lock it, and secure the hatch if I feel so required.

One of my canvas covers was a 1/4" too wide and today I repaired that. The other shrank a 1/4" in height and I was able to stretch the material to work. That I soaked and clamped overnight. With only primer and a topcoat it worked. I have it on the top, in the sun and awaiting what it may do.. So far so good. If it holds I will finish the top coats (at least two more).

Leaves are just starting to change north of me and hope to get up there next week and have a couple days of relaxing.

That brings me back to the interior and finish making the bed supports. I have the two supports made for over the wheel wells and need to make up the center one. Tomorrow I go get the plywood for the beds.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:58 am

(small Quote:) “ Leaves are just starting to change north of me and hope to get up there next week and have a couple days of relaxing. “ …. COOL !!! Nice Topper RJ !!! :applause:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies