Truck cap/Camper cap build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck cap/Camper cap build

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:36 pm

The mesh tape test with Dura-bond is up. Now just watching compound dry.. I swear, half or more of the time is watching things dry!

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Going back into my build thread I realized I actually did a step my step to the method I mentioned. More detail there than going by memory. Starts about 1/3 down http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=615 . Hope this helps. George.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:00 pm

ghcoe wrote:Going back into my build thread I realized I actually did a step my step to the method I mentioned. More detail there than going by memory. Starts about 1/3 down http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=615 . Hope this helps. George.

That helps a lot! :thumbsup:

Love the way of doing!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Forget I even mentioned Dura-bond with mesh tape corner.. Failed miserably! :x

As a filler, or build-out of corners (bad cuts) working very well. It still needs material and TB2 or good primer to give it the adherent wanted. Dura-bond will except almost any primer over it.
Hey,it was a thought that lead to a test. Moving on from it.

Like in woodworking, which I'm pretty good at, the dura bond fills and should be sanded out till only the fill is left. If you're not to do as I am (adding the bullnose), a coat of Dura-bond over the over-lap should remove the un-sightly seam line. Stay tuned if you so wish, I will be trying this.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Re-building the front.. The angle was too tight and the sound of compressing to form was too weird. Also to the extent of the sound of Gorilla glue letting go. Not good.. Stress is good, yet too much, not so.. Re-build happening.

After re-inforcing the front shelf (while I can get there easily) and mounting the newly designed front (less stress), the roof comes into play.

I have mentioned a few times now how I like adding some stress to each component, like a curve/bend. I really want to do this to the roof, side to side.
I don't want a strut/stay to be exposed.. I think I may have to add a wood component to the roof. This will be my first attempt at routing in a piece of wood!

I get that the covering will strengthen the roof, yet I see so much stability as I bend/curve pieces, I just can not attempt doing it. Besides, the curves look really cool!

Working this out may take a couple days.. In the meantime, filling and sanding.. boring stuff.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:34 am

Since Monday last, not much progress has happen. Let's just leave it at 'Life got in the way'.

I di manage to get the front shelf and nose section mounted and most of the interior seams are done. I'm doing this before the roof to make it a bit easier to reach. I also do some of the side panels, again while easy to reach.
Should be back on track tomorrow.

P.S The issue this week had nothing to do with health..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 am

Couple of pictures for you all that may be following. Practiced a bit of PMF in the overhead storage area. Ran out of cloth to get the vertical.. I'll dig up some more and hopefully get that today. Biggest move is the first half of the roof is now gluing.

In a couple hours I'l be watching glue & paint dry, exciting aye!

RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 pm

RJ,
I haven't seen any pictures of how you're going to attach this camper cover to your truck bed. What have you got planned for a locking mech?
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Postal_Dave wrote:RJ,
I haven't seen any pictures of how you're going to attach this camper cover to your truck bed. What have you got planned for a locking mech?

You can barely see it, but I did add a wood component at the bottom. That will be the flange/plate of which I will connect to the truck. As I do my re-enforcement to my seams, I will also do on this flange/plate, both inside and outside. I hope it will be strong enough..

I've tried hard to keep those 'air-catches' to a minimum. slanted the sides so they stick out beyond the side of the cab, curved the sides so pressure is inward, and slanted the front panel so pressure is downward. I also did slant the back, yet that is hopeful only that it is better than a straight back. The worst part of the design I see is over the cab of the truck and under the storage over hang. That is a major 'air-catch'. To that I hope the slanted lower front panel helps, yet again not know how much.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Opps, Bolt it to the bed frame rail.. Short answer.. LOL
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 pm

There are more single steps to this then I thought there would be! Then of course dry time..

It does give me time to think (not always a good thing).

I keep coming back to the roof! I want a side to side curve to this. Every point of bend or curve has added so much more strength to the component. Never having done any of this before.. I have a hard time seeing just the canvas holding the form. I keep coming back to a structural element being placed there. I only have half the roof glued on now and still could add if required.

What say you all?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:45 am

Great build so far, your build is one of the reasons I joined this forum!

I have a similar '04 that I am currently rebuiliding the engine in what spare time I have, seems like it will be my project of perpetual sorrows...

Truck is an '04 F150 Supercab 5.4L Triton 4x4, I have it fitted with Rancho Quicklift 2.5" struts and F150 7700 (payload package) coils to compensate for the weight of the Go Rhino winch bumper and Engo E9000 winch.

I am wanting to camper-ify my truck and have been researching foamies. Slide in truck campers are far too fragile, and regular truck camper shells are too short not allowing for installation of an Air Conditioner, or any headroom if you do a bed platform with storage underneath.

I am hoping to learn from you folks how do to the foamie thing, and how to make the most out of hte limited space I have to work with.

My biggest issue is a physical one, I am a heavy guy, and overcab sleepers can be too weak, I don't believe the cantilever design will support mine and my wifes weight. So I keep digging for ideas, and I know I must DIY my camper.

FWIW, I have everything I need for "glamping" including a privy tent, flushing toilet, hot shower, coleman stove etc... I just need to figure out how to integrate it all and make it work.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:51 am

Great build so far, your build is one of the reasons I joined this forum!

Thank you! It's a learning process with each step.

I have a similar '04 that I am currently rebuiliding the engine in what spare time I have, seems like it will be my project of perpetual sorrows...

On mine it's all been about the body and keeping up to the rust! Downside of living in the Nor'East!

I am wanting to camper-ify my truck and have been researching foamies. Slide in truck campers are far too fragile, and regular truck camper shells are too short not allowing for installation of an Air Conditioner, or any headroom if you do a bed platform with storage underneath.

I'm only a 6.5 bed, and working out the platform (over the wheel well so there can be storage under. Ahh, no AC going in this one! Call it benefit of living in the Nor'East!

I am hoping to learn from you folks how do to the foamie thing, and how to make the most out of hte limited space I have to work with.

I'm learning every step of the way! This is my first.

I don't believe the cantilever design will support mine and my wifes weight. So I keep digging for ideas, and I know I must DIY my camper.

I have little to no structural elements in this cap so far. My over-cab is small because I don't see enough strengh there to support anything heavy, especially bouncing around!

FWIW, I have everything I need for "glamping" including a privy tent, flushing toilet, hot shower, coleman stove etc... I just need to figure out how to integrate it all and make it work.

For me most all of that will be outside. Toilet will be a diverting/compost style, I don't wish to contain black water.

This is not my main camper. It's more of a 'week-ender/overland' sleeper. Fresh water will be my 5gal jerry can. Shower, I doubt I will have one, yet if I did it would be some sort of black bag or another jerry can, gravity type. My good-old Coleman is the cooktop.

Do start a thread when you design and of course build. Will be great to hear your story along the way!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Yes, Alex.. Final answer.. The structural element went in the roof! :D
That is the correct answer RJ!

Main reason is I see deflection already (1/8") of the 46" span. Has really been bothering me. Second reason, well I do want to know how routing foam goes.
Routing is like a hot knife going through warm butter. ;) Man was that easy! I have several router bits to choose from, but used a 2 flute carbide straight cutter. High speed steel may be okay, don't know.. No burn what so ever, my main concern.

I did manage to get a slight bend in the aluminum angle. Using a 1 1/4" spacer (no heat mind you) I got a 1/16" bend. I can work with that!
I don't like adding heat to aluminum, or maybe aluminum doesn't like me doing it, but either being true, it just doesn't work out well for me.

Did get another area of the interior covered! Have the two little sides in the over-cab to do and the rest of the roof goes on!

Back to watching glue and paint dry.. :beer:

Actually time to put serious thought to the truck and bed setup. Two main 'needs' in this. First, it has to be able to convert to a solo unit easily. Secondly, I have to have a way to sit up and pee during the night. Second one is more inportant for my wife, yet I'd like it as well if it's buggy as hell out there..
I have some thoughts, yet it's getting close to decision time.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Side note:

I may be pushing this foamie to it's limits without adding more structural elements, yet that has been the reason for this exercise. To use my knowledge of building and learn how far I can push this style of construction. As I continue forward and create the hatch and side windows I don't know yet how much more structural elements will come into play.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies