Truck cap/Camper cap build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Truck cap/Camper cap build

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:00 am

Good catch on that sale !!!  :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:48 am

RJ Howell wrote:Ran through Joann Fabric today due to the sale. That Duck Cloth they have is wonderful! What a difference from the HF canvas. :shock:

OMG is that stuff nice! Think early on buying your covering (wish I had). For $1 more a yard, it's amazingly better! The sale was 50% off!!

I ran out of my big duck canvas and used drop cloth canvas on the insides of my doors: big difference.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:
I ran out of my big duck canvas and used drop cloth canvas on the insides of my doors: big difference.

Understatement on difference. I had no idea! :shock:

No thought on what the weave count is on the HF canvas, yet for $1 more a yard (on sale) and what seems to be twice the density, OMG is that stuff nice! :thumbsup:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Past couple of days have been all about yard work and learning to sew.. I'm after that tented area with a passion now. :twisted:
The Duck Cloth I bought is dense 330 weave (or so) and almost 9oz weight. Finding a needle that works was an adventure! #110 leather needle has worked the best! :thumbsup:

Those outside corners are frustrating :x and quite the challenge. More that any of the build so far! I do wish I had known of this Zipper foot because it would have helped so much in adding in the paracord for the Keder rail.. Speaking of zipper foot, the zippers (yes 2) are next on the agenda. Never done that before, yet neither have I build a foamie :)

Life is an adventure! :D
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby me&z » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:19 pm

Best piece of sewing advice I can give you:. NEVER rip out a bad seam when you are po'd about it. Put it aside, come back later. Otherwise you will always make it worse.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:45 pm

me&z wrote:Best piece of sewing advice I can give you:. NEVER rip out a bad seam when you are po'd about it. Put it aside, come back later. Otherwise you will always make it worse.

Well I had to on the zipper. One side went wonderful, the other, well not so much.. :x
All Day project getting the zippers in, yet done and look good! Did a 2" lap over the zipper for rain protection. That was to say an interesting experience being it's all new to me. I have learned so much doing this! :)

Pictures will happen once the new keder rail arrives and is mounted. Right now it just looks like floppy cloth hanging off my truck. :lol:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Be kind, first time I have ever done something like this! :o

Keder rail came in and works like I hoped. I figured I'd have to replace the cord to fit the keder and I did have to. 1/4" nylon rope inserted in 9oz duck cloth worked great! :) Zippers are in and working well now! Still need to stitch the top the Lap-over on the zipper and cut to length with the magnetic strips to hold it in place. With rain happening all this week it will probably be done by Monday! :twisted:

Pictures as promised:

Image. Image

Image. Image
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Looks pretty good! I presume no bugs can get in?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Looks like a good job to me. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:24 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:Looks pretty good! I presume no bugs can get in?

Is the plan! Sides will have magnetic strips on the cloth to hold it tight, upper side pulls tight against the topper. Will add a bungee to be bottom to hook the bumper if needed. Side on the tailgate I see as Magnetic strips and wrapped under. It's the cable stay on the tailgate causing the issue. Back is zippered on both edges and will be magnetic striped or velcro'ed, have decided on which yet. This needs to be folded inward on the tailgate to excess that edge from inside. I'm sure there will be a few weak spots for bug entry, but I am watching for them.

Oh ya, I have a foam pipe wrap I tucked into the gap between the truck bed and tail gate. I also lowered the position of the keder rail I mounted to work as the rain guard I was struggling with. The Flex-rail worked great!

I just need to stop and start using.. I'm staring at it wishing I had a screen for the back now.. I have screen material and would just need two more zippers.. Maybe.. :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:39 am

Canvas work is looking good.

:thumbsup:

Do not pull it to tight. Canvas will shrink with age.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:25 am

Philip wrote:Canvas work is looking good.
:thumbsup:
Do not pull it to tight. Canvas will shrink with age.

Thank you for that! I have tried to keep it fairly loose expecting some shrinkage. My statement of tight is to the truck body & topper.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 am

I sourced some Neodymium strips and Oh My are they expensive.. :shock:

I went to HD and bought the best I could find there and what a joke.. Their strip magnetic's barely hold there own self. Back I went and returned and grabbed the 3/8" neodymiums with the hole in the center thinking I could at least stitch them in. I'm sampling out glueing them at 6" & 3" spacing to see what works. Cost on those is reasonable, 12 for $5. Heck I could go 1 1/2" spread and still be 1/3rd of the cost of the strip.

Really hoping glueing in works, otherwise I'm stitching magnets into material with a metal needle.. :? Does not sound like fun!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

why not consider riveting them to the canvas?
Or i remember seeing a plastic buttoner like
the price sticker tool used in clothing.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:23 am

RJ, we made some Quick curtains for my steel door, little neo button magnets sewn in little “pockets .. works great … Just an idea ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies