1/4" folded foam question

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

1/4" folded foam question

Postby TimothyHD » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 am

Has anyone ever used the folded xps? What I am wondering is if application of heat will pop out the creases to a generally smooth surface.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
TimothyHD
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 1/4

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm

TimothyHD wrote:Has anyone ever used the folded xps? What I am wondering is if application of heat will pop out the creases to a generally smooth surface.

If you are talking about the folds in fan fold insulation the answer is not completely. Dents can be removed from foam with the application of heat (about 210F, boiling water or steam is ideal) as long as the bubbles in the foam are still intact but merely compressed. The foam matrix softens and the air in the bubbles expands to more or less it's initial shape. It takes some time, but dents in a foamie trailer will self repair with just the warmth of the sun.

If the cells have been broken by cuts or crushing that breaks open the walls of the bubbles, it can't expand back to its original shape.

What is your application? I use heat and molds to build RC airplanes from 1/4" fan fold. You'd be amazed at the shapes you can produce.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 pm

I've never used that foam, so I got curious about its possible uses from your post. So I looked at the Owens-Corning web site. http://www.owenscorning.com/NetworkShare/EIS/59332-Fanfold-DWB-Product-Data-Sheet.pdf
It says "Fanfold Damproofing/Waterproofing Board (DWB) is a thin extruded polystyrene fanfold board with a non-perforated plastic film facer." I could be wrong, but to me, that sounds like it is the plastic that connects separate pieces of foam. So I doubt it is creased.

BTW: I finally found something that there are NO instructional videos about its intended use on YouTube. The only uses I've found for Folding Foam Board there was for R/C airplanes. :lol:
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Squigie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Some other brands do just have strips of insulation adhered to a plastic film, with gaps.
The Owens Corning stuff, however, is a continuous sheet of foam, in order to not defeat the purpose of the product by having thermal leaks.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Re: 1/4" folded foam question

Postby TimothyHD » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:07 pm

So, for more clarification, I am actually working in boat building. What I'd like to do is use long lengths of foam for lapstrake/clinker planking on a catamaran/proa. I would need to be able to be sure of a complete seal between overlapping sections. (see left half of image)
clinker_carvel_construction.jpg
clinker_carvel_construction.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 736 times

TimothyHD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:30 pm

What length do you need? You'd have to remove the plastic film on both sides which is a pain. You might be able to get some scrap from a siding contractor to experiment with. I assume you plan to fiberglass the hull once planked?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: 1/4" folded foam question

Postby TimothyHD » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:What length do you need? You'd have to remove the plastic film on both sides which is a pain. You might be able to get some scrap from a siding contractor to experiment with. I assume you plan to fiberglass the hull once planked?
Fiberglass was the plan, after coating in fabric.

TimothyHD
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies