Pre flight foamie build sanity check...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pre flight foamie build sanity check...

Postby ghcoe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:28 pm

I just calculated my cost for PMF for interior and exterior, $215.24. Now that cost is material costs for full sheets and gallons. There was leftovers which could go into another build. So I would say, guessing, about $180.00 since I have about 1/2 gallons of each product left and canvas for a full wall and end wall. That would be HF canvas, probably in the 10-12 once weight.

I have worked with fiberglass before and I can say I don't like it. PMF is so much easier to work with and less toxic. No figuring out cure rates and wondering if you got a full cure. No masks to keep out fibers, no itching.

Most people don't have a clue about how to fiberglass, but If you know how to paint and lay wall paper, which most people do, you can PMF.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:47 am

PMF is so much easier to work with and less toxic. No figuring out cure rates and wondering if you got a full cure. No masks to keep out fibers, no itching.

Less toxic? Read the Material Safety Data sheets for Glidden Gripper (do you need an elastomeric sealing- surface facepiece respirator?) and Raka epoxy resin (no respirator). The MSD sheets may change your mind on that argument.

Cure rates? Use epoxy and pumps and there is no "cure rate." Ditch polyester resin.

Itching? Unless you are doing serious sanding into the glass there is none. I sure as heck didn't experience any and there shouldn't be a need to do that on a flat surface.

You've got your mind made up –-I get that and respect your decision. I adding this post so builders cans research both sides.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:
PMF is so much easier to work with and less toxic. No figuring out cure rates and wondering if you got a full cure. No masks to keep out fibers, no itching.

Less toxic? Read the Material Safety Data sheets for Glidden Gripper (do you need an elastomeric sealing- surface facepiece respirator?) and Raka epoxy resin (no respirator). The MSD sheets may change your mind on that argument.

Cure rates? Use epoxy and pumps and there is no "cure rate." Ditch polyester resin.

Itching? Unless you are doing serious sanding into the glass there is none. I sure as heck didn't experience any and there shouldn't be a need to do that on a flat surface.

You've got your mind made up –-I get that and respect your decision. I adding this post so builders cans research both sides.

:beer:

Tony

It is all good. I am just saying if you talk to someone on the street they will be more open to conversation on building if you talk paint, canvas and wood glue. If you even mention fiberglass you loose them at that point forward. They will not even take the time to research fiberglass. If you get them in the door with paint, canvas and wood glue they may come to their own conclusion about fiberglass later. I agree, epoxy fiberglassing is much easier and better, but most people do not know that.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:00 pm

If you even mention fiberglass you loose them at that point forward. They will not even take the time to research fiberglass.

George:

I agree. But since fiberglassing is simple, and not experimental, it should be considered. And that is my point.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tyrtill » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 am

I abandoned the idea of fiberglass because I couldn't find somewhere local to get it. If I were to do my project again I probably would have spent the time to research and purchase glass materials from online. Between gripper and paint I easily have $500 invested in my camper (which probably has 3 x the surface area of a standard teardrop). My guess is glassing it would have been a similar amount from the little research I've done. Glass will probably give you a better finish, be stiffer, and I wouldn't be surprised if it would end up lighter as well.

In the end both systems seem to work for what we're doing. So don't spend to much time thinking about it and just get into building!
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Tony[/quote]

It is all good. I am just saying if you talk to someone on the street they will be more open to conversation on building if you talk paint, canvas and wood glue. If you even mention fiberglass you loose them at that point forward. They will not even take the time to research fiberglass. If you get them in the door with paint, canvas and wood glue they may come to their own conclusion about fiberglass later. I agree, epoxy fiberglassing is much easier and better, but most people do not know that.[/quote]

I'm only 3 days of driving my topper around and have had 2 conversations about the topper so far. First cringe is it's made of foam. As I explain what SIPS are they relaxed a bit. Then the PMF system and their eyes roll.. Both asked won't the canvas rot.. and.. Why not fiberglass?

I find so far the opposite of what your saying, but time will tell as I go down the road and talk to more interested/curious folks.

I have a build in mind that will require more structural elements. I see fiberglass on that project. It will add those elements as I require them. I also see foam! I really like the lightness of the material and know see it's structural capability.

It's hard for me as a carpenter to walk away from wood, yet I've always been open to new concepts and love experimenting with such. I see much potential in a foam/fiberglass unit.

I agree, don't walk away from this quickly.. Think about it..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 am

The original intent of as Foamie was essentially a “ hard tent" ( Eagle named it ) A Light trailer that could be built with easily worked materials that didn’t require a fully equipped workshop, and exotic power tools ,and simple enough even Grandma could build one ( and have ;) )
Not to hinder development of the idea , there were NO RULES imposed , so everyone was free to develop a Foamie from their own ideas and needs ... :thumbsup: Testing for a decade now has shown over time what works and what doesn’t .

To say that one thing is better than another , just reflects PERSONAL beliefs and opinions ... All the methods discussed here have worked over time … Some just take more time , labor , and expense than others …depending entirely on how YOU want to do it !!!

When in doubt , test it out !!! … Trust in the Force… but tie up your Horse !!! 8)

Although COST was also a consideration, it was not the determining factor , and the idea of “Salvage” was introduced to source materials at less than Retail …

The whole idea was to try something new , something that didn’t require mortgaging the farm to buy and maintain. And something that didn’t need a Big Diesel dually to tow it … Something individual PEOPLE could build and enjoy ..
And most of all , something that didn’t ROT , as we saw many trailers at the time (including my own plywood TD) quickly ROT !!! :frightened:

Read a little , decide what you like and are able to do … It’s all “ Up to You !!!”
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies