How Strong Are They, Really?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby SueDado » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 pm

Good day, everyone. I’m new here and new to foamie projects. I am intrigued by what all of you are doing. But how strong are your campers when you are finished? Anyone do impact testing? Been in an accident?

I’m looking for a project to do with my 14 year old daughter. She wants to pursue professional barrel racing and is willing to work for it. It’s going to be expensive and she knows that. So I was thinking she could convert an old n’ cheap small trailer with a tiny changing room into living quarters.

The strength question is twofold.
1) If we build the wall to the living quarters between the horse and the LQ, would it be strong enough if a horse kicked it? Would it be strong enough for adding upper trailer doors if the trailer is open on top?
2) Could this process be used to build a fully foamie horse trailer on a flatbed trailer??? (Long term project) Part of me thinks it’s insane but looking at your foamie campers, maybe it’s not so crazy. Maybe it is possible. I love the hatch idea on the teardrop campers and could see potential with a custom horse trailer with living quarters. Maybe even with a really small horse trailer conversion on the front end near the hitch (most are rounded).

If #2 is possible, we would practice the foam and fiberglass method creating a LQ in a small horse trailer. Learn how to cut and shape, connect, and construct with it; walls, ceiling, cabinets, seating with under storage, etc. Once we have moved beyond the green stage of working with this method, then buy a flatbed trailer.

I know I have a lot to learn and will need to spend a lot of time reading your posts.
But for now, I’d like input on actual strength of this fiberglass/foam method.
And secondarily, if my wild idea of a custom horse trailer might be possible in the future.

Thanks!
SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How Strong Are They, Really?

Postby John61CT » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Foam can be structural, but not bearing heavy point loads, nor puncture resistant.

Probably best to steel frame the edges, use foamie slabs for infill/skinning and add skin with strong plywood and/or steel sheets on the horse side.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Full disclosure: I have not done PMF over foam.

But I have owned horses. I had a friend's horse die from a kick. It broke its skull. I once saw a mule kick a horse in the ribs so hard that I'm surprised it didn't knock it down.

I can't imagine that PMF (glued canvass) covered XPS foam could take a good kick from a horse.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:26 pm

I'll be straight up on this as well. I doubt very much any sort foam construction would standup to a horse kick.. To be honest, I don't think any basic 'lightweight' build would hold up..

Last time 'I' built a structure for a horse was 40yrs ago.. 6x6 posts, 4x4 frame, 2x4 infill and as I remember full 1" boards over. All being rough cut lumber. No I would not recommend doing a foamy build for this application.

My mind goes to aluminum tube framing and diamond plate covering. :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tyrtill » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:20 pm

I will agree that a foamie would not fair well against a horse kick. It might not bust all the way through the wall but it would severely damage it. The lack of tether points can be frustrating as well.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SueDado » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks, everyone. I’ll stick to doing just the LQ and keep steel between the horse and us.

What about adding side storage boxes and an outdoor kitchen over dual axels with fiberglass and foam? (More aerodynamic than the one in the pic.). I think fiberglass might be better than canvas, and perhaps several layers like they do with boats.

SueDado
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 am

Everybody out here owns a horse .. Best get a REAL Horse trailer !!!!!! … Foam’s not going to do what you want … JMHO
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies