foamie cabin

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

foamie cabin

Postby Brushtrooper » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:00 pm

I know this a strange request, I think this would be possible. My wife, my son and I go to several drag races per year and typically stay in a hotel. This coming year I will have 2 cars to run and I really would like to get away from the hotel. I was thinking a small camper and then the foamie cabin idea came. I will be hauling the 2 cars, tools etc on a open 40' gooseneck. To those with experience do you think it would work to make 4 walls and a roof using the 2" foam boards, make each one connect with dowl rods or some other method. Then put roof on and use a securement method. For interior All I want is one wall to have a door, all others to be solid. I would use a portable AC to keep it cool and comfortable. Make it where they stack on top of each other for transport and setup pretty easy to serve as a cheap 8' x 8' shelter. For those with experience, do you think this is possible? Suggestions how to build the panels?
Brushtrooper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: foamie cabin

Postby pchast » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Certainly possible. I wonder how you will need to support that roof span...........
Its an interesting situation. :thinking:

I wonder if sheet metal u channel would provide enough support?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Do you mean break down flat for travel, assemble once there?

Or a slide-on box that stays assembled?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Postal_Dave » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:02 pm

First piece of advice. I'm an idiot that is on the Internet, don't listen to me. Second, If I tell you something, experiment and try it for yourself before you apply it to your build. Now, on to your question.

I think it's possible, however, I would make a slanted roof for rain to run off. This may require the purchase of additional foam.
As for the pinning system to put the walls together, I will tell you my secret idea that I've been playing with. :shhh: So don't tell anybody.

Take the panels and frame them with wood that is glued to the edge of the foam. Then get door hinges and screw them to the frames in the corner where the two walls meet. For an eight foot tall wall, I'd use 3 hinges per corner. To quickly disconnect the walls, pull the pins out of the hinge. When assembling, put the pins back in the hinges. Simple and strong. For an added bit of strength, use a type of tongue and grove for the frames to fit together.

As for how to keep the structure attached to the trailer, for windy conditions and such. There are lag screws that are threaded differently on both ends. One end is for screwing into wood, the other end accepts nuts. On the bottom of the walls, maybe 4 per wall, screw these lag bolts into the wall frame. Drill holes in the wood deck of your trailer that line up with your lag screws on the bottom of the wall.

So to assemble your quickie camper, first put the pins in the hinges and assemble the walls together. Then line up the lags next to the holes and push them into the holes, then put the nuts on from under the trailer.

As for the roof, I'd frame it with an apron that slide over the outside walls. Then I'd attach the roof in a similar way.

Good luck with the build and with your racing. Be sure to post pictures of your build.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Brushtrooper » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Lots of good info, I really appreciate this. I do want to make this breakdown and haul flat, assemble on site on the ground. Most places we stay are paved parking lots. If in grass I figured I could use tarps on the ground. Its funny you suggest the hinge set up. I run a trailer shop and we do some fabrication. We use the hinge setup to lock light weight removable panels together. You must be a genus or is it genius..... :)
I was thinking about this today and I maybe over analyzing this. Since I want to make 8' walls, would strength need to be added to mesh to 4x8 sections together and stay stiff? I do not really need 8', I could go smaller. I really need to lay this out on the ground to see how it fits my idea, anyways I was thinking something like bedding PVC pipe or steel square tube in the foam to help make it more rigid? Then use these bedded stiffeners as a way to lock the walls/roof together. I think making a pitched roof is a good idea. This really sounds like a fun project now. I wonder of it would be easier to make it in 4x8 sections and lock together when setting up, it sure would be easier to assemble.
Brushtrooper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Do you really need 8 ft ceiling height? Lower ceiling will make it easier to set up. Do slant the roof to shed rain.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Brushtrooper » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:Do you really need 8 ft ceiling height? Lower ceiling will make it easier to set up. Do slant the roof to shed rain.

Good point, 6' would work fine.
Brushtrooper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogcatcher » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Burning Man Pyramid https://elkinsdiy.com/burningman-pyramid-shelter/
or the Burning Man Modified Tee Pee https://elkinsdiy.com/burningman-foam-board-shelter/
I believe he has plans available, but use a little math and you can make your own.
And the one I could not find, the Foamie Tee Pee https://elkinsdiy.com/burningman-foam-board-teepee/
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Postal_Dave » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:52 am

Thank you for the genius complement. Good luck convincing anyone that knows me about that, but I'll take it. :lol:
Two inch thick foam is very rigid. If you were to take two full 4 x 8 panels and put them side by side with a piece of wood between them and then frame the whole thing (picture french doors) it would be rigid enough. Add to it a covering of Poor Mans Fiberglass and you'd have something very strong.

As for setting it up on the ground... The structure itself will be very light weight and could easily be blow away like a tumble weed in an old western. Ropes and long tent stakes would be needed to keep it in place. That's why I was originally thinking of setting it up on your trailer and bolting it down, after the cars are removed of course. If you set it up on pavement, heavy sand bags might do the trick of keeping it in place.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Postal_Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby skyl4rk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:10 am

skyl4rk
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:08 am

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 am

Pallets for floor with solid covering so if it rains the water runs under your structure not through it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:24 pm

I like the idea of building it to secure to the trailer. I would hate to see that thing blow away. Hell, you could even just throw a ratchet strap over it to secure it to the trailer.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby printer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am

I was thinking something like bedding PVC pipe or steel square tube in the foam to help make it more rigid?

2"x2" frame around the edges of the foam, canvas and paint. Screw any fastener idea into the wood and use a bolt and cotter pin to join together. Put two lightweight cargo straps over it hooked onto the trailer bed. You are going to be using some to hold down the sheets for travel anyway.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:26 am

First thought is: Why not? With my build I was surprised how strong the Foam panels are. I took extra care and bent (curved) the panels to add opposing stress and give it that little bit more. So happy as to how it worked out.

I would design it as simple/basic as possible. I inserted 1/4" plywood where I thought I'd attach things and wish I had upped to 3/8" or 1/2", not as much for strength but for th attachments to grab into. I did a simple lifting hatch (foam) and windows that are cut-outs in foam, screened over and canvas flaps (velcro'ed) to close. Both work as hoped. I'd still do a curved roof (even slightly), adds strength and sheds water.

I went 1 1/2" foam, but for anything larger I'd suggest 2" (at least).

My build is a truck topper, yet you can get the idea's of how I accomplished it (and my mistakes).
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71879

I looking at doing another truck camper only this time I'm pulling the bed off and building up from the frame. My hope is to do it so that if I changed trucks, I'd be able to remove it easily, or even slide it onto a trailer and tow it.

So... I say: Why not??
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Foamies