Monstaliner?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Monstaliner?

Postby Outoforder » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 am

So I used rustoleum bed liner on a foam box I made and it seemed ok. The foam box was foam, primer, glue, canvas.

I asked monstaliner about using this on a foamie and they said it would melt the foam

Has anyone tried monstaliner on their foamie?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Outoforder
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Monstaliner?

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:23 am

Besides chemistry compatibility issues, I reckon anything that rigid would end up with stress cracking.

Skin-only panels supported by a rigid frame are one thing

but with foamies there is little such support, the box as a whole needs to flex under stress
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:20 pm

It worked because you didn't put it directly on the foam. Glue canvas and primer protected the foam. This is a flexible bed liner correct? It should holds up rather well as long as the adhesion to the substrate stays intact.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 am

My point is that the stresses imposed on a much larger box going down the road at highway speeds, plus maybe in high winds sometimes, semitrailers opposite etc

will demand large deflection/recovery flexibility.

The bedliner may be "somewhat flexible" but I reckon different enough that the tensile / adhesion of the outer eggshell layer will be stressed too much resulting in cracking.

None of which has to do with the chemistry compatibility issue.

And I fully admit I could be 100% wrong, seem to recall some bedliner product protecting a watermelon dropped off a high tower onto concrete, shell intact fruit smoothie inside.

I suspect great variability between brands / formulations.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am

The people at Durabak claim that their product can be used directly over foam. I have used their products on metal and wood but never over foam.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:46 am

Outof'… Just Curious … “ The foam box was foam, primer, glue, canvas. “ What kind of “Glue” … ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:04 pm

Interesting, lots of threads mention that brand (not necessarily foamie ones though).

I see repeated comments in many places remarking on its flexibility.

I wonder if the smooth version would do as "all in one" eliminating separate glue + primer, then once foam+fabric full encapsulated, switch to the rough texture if desired.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm

Yes you can put it directly on foam since it's polyurethane based and probably be better off letting it be the alter version of pmf with direct adhesion to the foam. It's kin to gorilla glue with rubber particles added.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:Yes you can put it directly on foam since it's polyurethane based and probably be better off letting it be the alter version of pmf with direct adhesion to the foam. It's kin to gorilla glue with rubber particles added.

Be sure to test thoroughly before putting that idea "into production".

Adhesion might be fine, presumably waterproof so long as the skin doesn't crack, but tensile strength, ability to truly saturate into the cloth not just encapsulated, many other success factors

are wildcards at the moment.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:02 pm

John61CT wrote:
linuxmanxxx wrote:Be sure to test thoroughly before putting that idea "into production".

Adhesion might be fine, presumably waterproof so long as the skin doesn't crack, but tensile strength, ability to truly saturate into the cloth not just encapsulated, many other success factors

are wildcards at the moment.

If it is rubbery durable and sticks directly to foam why even use canvas? You have a semi rigid shell directly on the foam which gives much higher stress loads than canvas. Test it and if it sticks and is durable this is a big win. The beauty of this part of the forum is looking for alternate ways to encapsulate foam balancing strength cost life and ease of building.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:48 pm

The added tensile strength, against forces pulling and pushing both laterally and perpendicularly to the wall plane,

Imagine embedding tough mesh screening. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am

Screen I could understand but canvas and this I believe is counter productive. The whole purpose for canvas and the saturation is stiffening of the canvas shell. It works because of the saturation but the delamination issues and having to iron it to recover are because of poor adhesion to the foam. If this stuff has pure adhesion and hardens to a shell you've replaced the canvas with a one step covering.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:31 am

Has anyone tried monstaliner on their foamie?

I'm a wood guy, but I can tell you this; Monstaliner is a great finish. I applied it over primed fiberglass and it takes 2 gallons to do a 5'-wide teardrop. That's $400.

:?

That may send you in a different direction.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 am

Monstaliner directly on foam no durabak directly on foam yes. Whoever has some, please test it directly on the blue or pink foam. I've been very interested in the water based plastic coatings but this sounds very intriguing.

I know the pmf route is a value thing but it's very time consuming. If an alternative is 30% more cost but saves half the time or more and adds maintenance free that's value indeed.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:31 pm

I am Very close to Spraying 2 Colors of Monstraliner on my flat back; BUT :shock:

I am on another project digging with the web and found this, for the foamies :QM
Not gona try it; but hope someone digs into it.

RHINO LININGS INTRODUCES NEW ROOF COATING SYSTEM
It can be used as a top coat over SPF or as a coating for metal roofs.
Rhino™ Roof Coating System with 5-Year, No Leak, Roof Coating Limited Warranty
● Rhino™ SPF (Spray Polyurethane Foam) with 2.5, 2.8 or 3.0 density

http://www.rhinolinings.com/news/press- ... ing-system
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Foamies