Husker Foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Husker Foamie

Postby aclarkc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Hello all, kicking off my first foamie build thanks for years of admiring the fine work of many of the folks here on TNTTT.

Plan is to build a 5x8 camper on the 4x8 HF trailer for me and the wife along with our toddler.

As I sit around hoping a HF nearby gets a trailer in stock this week :worship: I was hoping to get some feedback on my plan as it currently stands.

The base is inspired what ghcoe's #1, but with some added spacers to allow for a drip edge.

(Sorry my mock up skill are limited :frightened: )
Side View
side view.jpg
side view.jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

Top view
Top view of trailer and frame.jpg
Top view of trailer and frame.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

Anything I'm missing for the base? Figured I was best served to do some extra planning while i wait for the trailer and flush out my BOM spreadsheet.
aclarkc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Husker Foamie

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 am

AC, looks Good !!! George is our “ bright star” here so following his advice is highly suggested !!! … :thumbsup: ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:15 am

Thanks GPW!

Drawing looks good. You will need, However, to install what I call inner frame rails. They are basically a board that runs along the wall and floor. I have used 1x2's and 2x2's for this. I have bolted them to the floor, but have had good luck with just gluing them in with Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive. I did try to make a trailer without them to save on cost, weight and complexity, but I found the canvas delaminating at the subframe areas where they meet the wall. There is just enough flex in the plywood/OSB to cause this condition. By installing the inner frame rails it distributes the forces more across the floor and solved this problem.

The inner frame rails also give a lot of support to the wall to hold it in place as well. It basically creates a channel for the wall to sit in. The canvas holds it on the outside and the inner frame rail holds it in place on the inside. This forces the wall to be held in place with the glue bond working in shear which is a much stronger bond than just glued to the floor.

Good luck! George.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aclarkc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:13 am

Thanks GPW!

George, I can't believe I forgot the frame rails in the drawings after watching and rewatching your videos :oops:

It's been a long thought about and now long planned project so I'm eager to get started, hopefully one of the HF's comes through for me. Might have to check some of the Iowa locations have some this weekend if nothing comes in this week here. :twisted:

I just need to put digital pen to paper on the galley and I think I'll feet comfortable with the high level plan.
aclarkc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aclarkc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:43 pm

Snatched the first HF trailer to hit NE soil in weeks today! :lol:

Real work can finally begin tomorrow :beer:
aclarkc
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies