Gone over to the dark side .... but still remember the foami

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Gone over to the dark side .... but still remember the foami

Postby me&z » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 am

Not all the way to the RV dark side. Only to the cargo van dark side.

Planning for a transverse bed in the back of the van (no windows). I want to preserve as much of the width as possible but still have some insulation from the sheet metal and protect it from dings.

Then it hit me: a foamie panel! Remembering all the discussions about fabric, etc I'm leaning towards screen. Since I also plan a thin layer of batting with a decorative fabric over that, I'm not at all concerned about the weave being visible.

I plan to try it over the next week or so. Planning to use 1/2 foam. The largest panel will be 36" x 29". The side of the van does have a slight concave curvature. I think I can cut kerfs on the backside and glue screen on the front to get the foam to follow the curve. Probably should wedge in some foam slivers on the back where the kerfs open and then glue on screen to get it to hold the shape.

Any foamie with an opinion, advice, or just a comment is welcome to chime in. While I've read the big thread about 4 times as well as almost all of the build threads, I've never actually built a foamie. Any and all input is appreciated.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Re: Gone over to the dark side .... but still remember the f

Postby Ottsville » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Why not just glue the foam straight to the metal? 1/2" foam should bend pretty easily - I can't imagine there's any tight bends in what you are doing. Depending on the van and your budget, you can buy precut panels of insulation(not necessarily foam though) for some vans.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby me&z » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:51 am

Pre-made panels are not in the budget. I checked again. You are correct, 1/2 will bend without messing with it. The 3/4 takes more force.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:05 am

Just an idea … 1/4” Fan fold foam ( floor underlayment) should supply adequate insulation on a cargo trailer .. inexpensive and easy to install . Some insulation is Much better than none at all …and even a little makes a big difference … 1/2” is plenty and bends easily with heat , and has no springback … Just a thought … :thinking:
After Katrina we investigated every cargo trailer we saw … We even bought a small one , that never got used … too small …
Attachments
Cargo trailer .jpg
Cargo trailer .jpg (203.16 KiB) Viewed 994 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 am

be sure to throw some sound deadner on the outer body panels before doing the foam. Those outer panels transmit a lot of wind/ road in the van. the deadner also serves as a thermal block to.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby me&z » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am

Philip wrote:be sure to throw some sound deadner on the outer body panels before doing the foam. Those outer panels transmit a lot of wind/ road in the van. the deadner also serves as a thermal block to.

Absolutely. Z's doing the sound deadener and insulation. I'm doing the window shades and headboard/footboard. We're going to try the 1/2 foam without messing with kerfs. I must have had a piece of 3/4 in my hand when testing the bendability. Still planning to make it like a foamie to give a bit of dent protection. Still remember the pictures showing how the hail dents in GPW's first foamie self-healed.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:02 am

Speaking of bending foam … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WVKttqb6HQ This was 1” foam …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby me&z » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:48 pm

Got the panels done. Never would have tried this if I hadn't been following the foamie builds from the beginning.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies