Re-introduction / the builder formerly known as NedB

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Re-introduction / the builder formerly known as NedB

Postby NedBtoo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:41 am

tony.latham wrote:
That may change...

I think teardrops (or squardrops) should be designed inside-out. As in, design the interior componets first and then put a profile around it that you like.

And don't be afraid of curves. There's a lot of builders that believe curves are easier to deal with than angles. I fall in that camp. The right plywood likes to bend.

Some folks like a front profile that rolls under. I too like the looks but I think having internal storage under a headboard is a big deal and I use a flat-backed tongue box anywho. The rear of that profile curves out because I wanted a countertop that wasn't hard to reach. This one is 5" from the user.

Just a thought. :thinking:

Tony

That's my thought too... what's inside, then build the shell.
I'm allowing for the wall thickness in my plan, then fitting things inside that.

The profile there is simply the rough idea of the wall needed to have enough headroom, and then slant down to the cabinets in the back.

as for curves, I'm thinking more 'big kenskill' than 'benroy' for the nose, at least initially, and with enough kerfs, the Foam will bend as needed. I've eliminated 4 sheets of 1/2" ply, I'll be using about two for the rest of the cabinetry out back.

Right now the 'features' that I want inside are: queen size bed, cabinet for food, kitchen supplies on one side, cabinet for porta potty storage and some shelves on the other. there will be cabinets in the nose cone for clothes, etc. I'll have batteries in a well beneath the bed, and solar on the roof.
I'll have some under bed storage for clothes and chairs etc... and a folding table to put up outside as needed under there as well.
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby NedBtoo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:46 pm

Lots of progress...

I fabbed up the rear roof... I’m still working on the corner detail.Image
I put a foot well in, it gives 18” at the foot of the bed.

The rear doorway.

Rear wall folded down.

I still have to figure out the side panels as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby NedBtoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Built the filler panels for when the roof is up. Two wood frame screens and a foam triangle. The screens will be hinged together, and fold for transit. I’ll also have canvas curtain panels to snap on for inclement weather.Image
The upper rear wall will also be screens, wood framed. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby PCO6 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Nice sketches. :thumbsup: I like the way that you plan to do your rear wall.

I have a Coachmen Clipper Express ( seen in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71585 ) and there are some similarities ... pop up lid, floor plan, rear entry. Your pop up hard rear wall with a "real" door has me thinking about a modification for mine.

I'm also making a side opening clam shell RTT for another trailer build. I hadn't though of building a hard side with a tent door opening ... until now! :thinking:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby NedBtoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:27 pm

PCO6 wrote:Nice sketches. :thumbsup: I like the way that you plan to do your rear wall.

I have a Coachmen Clipper Express ( seen in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71585 ) and there are some similarities ... pop up lid, floor plan, rear entry. Your pop up hard rear wall with a "real" door has me thinking about a modification for mine.

I'm also making a side opening clam shell RTT for another trailer build. I hadn't though of building a hard side with a tent door opening ... until now! :thinking:

Thanks! I've been kicking this sort of plan around for far too long. The 'hard' walls make sense to me, given that I'm not a great seamstress. I am a woodworker though, so designing in sketchup is second nature. I like the profile on your rig, I may ditch the triangular roof, or at least reduce it in height.
Its amazing how close to that design I came on my own.

back to the drawing board. that roof has me thinking a LOT. Thanks!!
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Foamies