Re-introduction / the builder formerly known as NedB

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re-introduction / the builder formerly known as NedB

Postby NedBtoo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi gang. Ned Here... I decided to start fresh, as I don’t have the account my old account used to log on with.

To sum up the past few years, I’m separated, relocated and am putting my life back together in Virginia. I moved here two years ago to care for my parents, COPD took my Dad, and Alzheimer’s my Mom both this past year.

I have a new shop, and am finally building my teardrop! I’m sticking with the Foamie, and have settled on the Weekender as my design. Image

Hope all are well! Good to be back, and expect a build journal to start soon. I have trailer in hand, and cash to build with. Now the honey-do list is my only foe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Re: Re-introduction / the builder formerly known as NedB

Postby Ottsville » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:46 pm

Look forward to seeing your build! Where in Va are you?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby NedBtoo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:00 pm

Ottsville wrote:Look forward to seeing your build! Where in Va are you?
Thanks! Shenandoah valley... out in the country, relatively.

NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:53 am

Nice Shop !!! … Good Luck on your Foamie !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NedBtoo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:41 am

GPW wrote:Nice Shop !!! … Good Luck on your Foamie !!! :thumbsup:
Thanks! This time I went with a 12x20 drag& drop (vs building it myself). I’ve insulated it, and put in lighting, etc. I’ll have to put up a tent for the tear build, as there’s No room for big stuff in there.

NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby CharlieL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 am

I have 2 12 x 24 sheds, drag and drop, insulated witch electric and window AC. Mine don't look anywhere near yours. Mine are both full. household :thumbsup: stuff in one (endless remodel) and all the rest stuffed into the other. Best of luck on your build. Charlie Atlanta, GA
Someday I will get off my rump and jump into a build, Thanks folks, for the info. and the things y'all do for one another

Charlie
CharlieL
Teardrop Builder

Postby NedBtoo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am

CharlieL wrote:I have 2 12 x 24 sheds, drag and drop, insulated witch electric and window AC. Mine don't look anywhere near yours. Mine are both full. household :thumbsup: stuff in one (endless remodel) and all the rest stuffed into the other. Best of luck on your build. Charlie Atlanta, GA
Thanks Charlie! I’m still doing the extension cord thing for power, and I just have fans for cooling. I may put a window rattler in, if I can find one cheap ... July probably isn’t the best time to shop for them.

NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby NedBtoo » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:41 am

Dove into sketch up today, working on the chassis & floor. I’m building over the wheels. It will have 3/4 sub floor, plus a plywood torsion grid to clear the

NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:51 am

Dove into sketch up today...

That's a good bit of work with Sketchup. There are few things that come out of my shop that haven't been drawn up first with it --and by the way, I really like your little shop.

For the money you have in plywood --not to mention the labor-- why not just buy a Northern Tool 5 x 8' aluminum trailer? (I don't see their steel trailer that size listed at the moment.)

:thinking:

Just a thought,

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:57 pm

:thinking: I'm concerned with that back-end because the sketch-up doesn't show support under there...?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:33 pm

I'm concerned with that back-end because the sketch-up doesn't show support under there...?

S:

Wouldn't the side and rear wall structure support it after it's all boxed up?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby NedBtoo » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Dove into sketch up today...

That's a good bit of work with Sketchup. There are few things that come out of my shop that haven't been drawn up first with it --and by the way, I really like your little shop.

For the money you have in plywood --not to mention the labor-- why not just buy a Northern Tool 5 x 8' aluminum trailer? (I don't see their steel trailer that size listed at the moment.)

Just a thought,

Tony

Thanks Tony!
My shop isn't quite the be all end all, but it keeps the rain off of the tools.

As for the sketchup... that's a model I pulled down before sketchup went seriously corporate... I tried to pull down one tonight, and I could, but my version is 5 versions back... so no more design warehouse for me. I'm thinking Fusion 360 is in my digital design future.

I may wind up getting an ironton, except for the moment, I already have the HF on hand, one of my 'step' daughters works for HF and loaned me her discount, so I'm somewhat invested in this trailer size.

All else being equal, that sketch can be reworked, I'm fine with that, electrons are cheap.

I agree.. I didn't think of the weight factor, I was in the groove, and getting the platform above the wheels was my goal. I'm going to give it another shot... will check back in a bit.
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby NedBtoo » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I'm concerned with that back-end because the sketch-up doesn't show support under there...?

S:

Wouldn't the side and rear wall structure support it after it's all boxed up?

Tony

It will be supported, in the end that was a first draft... back to the drawing board!
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby NedBtoo » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:33 pm

Ok... back to the drawing ‘board’:

Started fresh with a 12” axle setback trailer. Put a 5’6” x 10’ floor on it. To fit a queen bed and a basic galley etc out back. No bracing yet, going for just the basic layout:

Added 4’ tall walls, and lopped off a diagonal to 18” above the floor. This will be a lifting roof winter warrior variant.

Two 30” long 18” high 16” deep boxes, plus the bed, which is 5” up from the floor. That may change, rough sketch. Image
That gives me roughly 36” above the mattress. There will be two side doors, and the folding rear wall and a door there.

I just looked at the clock... 1:15.. the nose, roof etc will have to wait.

NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:44 am

That may change...

I think teardrops (or squardrops) should be designed inside-out. As in, design the interior componets first and then put a profile around it that you like.

And don't be afraid of curves. There's a lot of builders that believe curves are easier to deal with than angles. I fall in that camp. The right plywood likes to bend.

Some folks like a front profile that rolls under. I too like the looks but I think having internal storage under a headboard is a big deal and I use a flat-backed tongue box anywho. The rear of that profile curves out because I wanted a countertop that wasn't hard to reach. This one is 5" from the user.

Just a thought. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies