PMF Skin joints

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

PMF Skin joints

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:49 pm

So I'm finally working my way through skinning my Trailer Top Tent project. (I'm trying to get the pictures caught up on my build log http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71787.) I have a question regarding how folks are finishing or fairing the canvas when a joint is made.

I did not find a large enough piece of Canvas to skin the top in one piece, so I skinned the right half up to the center rafter and then the left half also to the center rafter. After leaving a good long time to dry, and then applying two coats of 50% thinned Gripper, I cut a strip 12 inches wide and used full strength Gripper to stick it down. I got pretty good edges, but there is still enough of a ledge that I worry about it eventually lifting. Or people picking at it.

I applied a full strength coat of Gripper this evening to the whole top. I'm wondering if vinyl spackle will stick well enough to the paint to sand it smooth at this point or if I should go for Latex caulk?

Here is a relatively close shot of an area:

If I went at this with a fingernail, I could clearly get an edge started. I'd rather that not really be an option. Any suggestions?
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Re: PMF Skin joints

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:27 am

We just accepted seams as being a part of a Foamie … and paint over them … Never a problem , and just don’t pick at it … :lol:

George has some great ideas … Maybe he can chime in on this … :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NedBtoo » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:38 am

I’m a long way from dealing with this, however, looking at the image, if it’s a concern, cut a strip to bridge that area. Fold the edges under, Image
, then use Titebond III to secure it. The paint over it. No frayed edges to pick at, and Titebond 3 is water proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:40 am

"Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do, **this** !"

Doctor says "Don't do that!"
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:32 pm

LOL. So Here is a better couple of shots on what I'm trying to do here.

Long view.
There are 3 pieces of canvas applied in this photo, one on each half of the lid, and a third 12 inch wide piece that is covering the joint in the middle. So this piece of canvas IS the cover for the seam.

This is a closer view:

As for "Don't DO THAT!" If t'was just me, there would be no question. Alas, no matter how hard I try, I can not get my wife and children to understand that simply leaving a thing alone is possible.

I know how much work it was to get it on there, and how much it will take to fix it. THEY don't! I also would like to have as low a profile as possible for water intrusion.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:19 am

Glen , a couple coats of Paint and a gentle slap on some small hands should work … :lol: Our Foamies have been covered in many sections , and painted over and secure for 7 years now (on the latest trailer ) … No worries !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:28 am

Personally I'm betting the motivation is cosmetic, a bit more perfectionism than is normally appropriate for Foamies.

But hey, improvements in design and technique on all fronts is welcome!

Just remember doing regular fiberglass is really not much more expensive once you start wanting to get a precise finished appearance.

And fixing small damages is really the key advantage to PMF, don't sweat the small stuff even a horde of little monkeys picking and tearing your skin can be patched up without stress
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 am

Al right, fair enough.After letting the roof bake in the sun all day yesterday, I put it back in the shop overnight. As I was putting it away, I saw the vinyl spackle and decided to go for it. It has cured over night and I'll try sanding it fair later this afternoon.

As for slaps on small hands, the hands in question are attached to a 15 year old, a 20 year old and a 50 year old. None of the previous slaps seem to have changed the behavior... :roll:

I am striving for as good a finish as I can get, If I strive for perfection, I'm likely to hit good enough. I have ordered the oxford cloth and no-see-um mesh for my sides, and I am on the hunt for a gallon of good exterior oops paint that is an acceptable color for my top coat.

The folding legs are kicking my butt right now.

Thanks for the help
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 am

Hahahahaha , the 50 year old , you might be able to Reason with !!! :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NedBtoo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:33 am

GPW wrote:Hahahahaha , the 50 year old , you might be able to Reason with !!! :lol:
Maybe... maybe not: depends on how often he says “Yes Dear”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby WoodSmith » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Ok, well, we shall see how well the vinyl spackle holds up over time. It worked fairly well hiding the edge, but it also filled the weave - I guess I don't care too much, but depending on your goal of uniformity you may not be happy with it. I used a yellow plastic body squeegee, which seemed to follow the weave more than I thought it would. Using a metal knife and striking at a 45 degree or so to the warp and weft of the fabric might get those who are looking for a smoother finish close more quickly than building layers of paint. My primary goals are to be completely water proof and good longevity I don't want to have to worry about delamination.

I sanded and then rolled a coat of GG over the center 20 inches or so - this is what it looks like now. My cell phone photography skills may be a bit lacking, in my defense it is hard to photograph an edge that is not supposed to be able to be seen.

Long view:

An attempt at a close up:

You can see where the seam is if you look at the bottom and follow the little "step" straight up.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:44 am

:thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Homebrewer25 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:43 am

For future reference you may want to look at George Coe's Foamie Smoothie Mix
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=71531&p=1248577&hilit=foamie+smoothie#p1248577
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Purdum » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:32 pm

awesome job I was going to try and work the seam into the graphic but this gives me more freedom
Purdum
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies