Thinking about a first foamie build...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Thinking about a first foamie build...

Postby VermonTear » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:50 pm

I built a small teardrop 10 years ago, and we're thinking about a bigger camper now -- maybe a canned ham. So why not build one -- and add a bit of indoor space and a toilet! I'm intrigued by some of these foamie builds I've taken a look at, but still have some hesitations jumping off that cliff (or onto that bandwagon?).
Can I hang some kitchen cabinet, and some clothes cabinets from the walls? And how would I do that? Can I put a couple of solar collectors on the roof? Would the hold it. I'd have to plan everything I wanted to screw into ahead, right? How do you run wiring down (up/across?) through the wall?
So many questions. No manual. No plans. Hmmmm. Must be somewhere.
Thanks for any guidance / advice.

Ken
Ken

My first build 12/2011: viewtopic.php?p=890137#890137
VermonTear
Donating Member

Re: Thinking about a first foamie build...

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Rout a channel in the foam and inlay wood 1x4's to carry the weight to the floor and give you some thing solid to attach your cabinets to. Cover that with PMF and you are good to go.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:46 pm

For simplicity you can find some good extension cords with a y end or 3 ends and run those through set place in floor and stay away from embedding or channeling so if anything fails much easier to fix or replace.

I did the embedded route with outlets and did the above on my last build and will stay with the cords from here on out.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby VermonTear » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:Rout a channel in the foam and inlay wood 1x4's to carry the weight to the floor and give you some thing solid to attach your cabinets to. Cover that with PMF and you are good to go.

Got it, for the cabinets support. How about the solar panels on the roof? And PMF.....? Still on the learning curve. I goggled --- tops was Presidential Management Fellows, and not to far down the list, in the Uban Dictionary was what I was if I wanted to go to Harvard. :)
Ken

VermonTear
Donating Member

Postby VermonTear » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:01 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:For simplicity you can find some good extension cords with a y end or 3 ends and run those through set place in floor and stay away from embedding or channeling so if anything fails much easier to fix or replace.

I did the embedded route with outlets and did the above on my last build and will stay with the cords from here on out.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I hear you! It's nice to have wall switches though... and outlets. I think the person I live with might complain.
Ken
Ken

VermonTear
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19 pm

VermonTear wrote:
Pmullen503 wrote:Rout a channel in the foam and inlay wood 1x4's to carry the weight to the floor and give you some thing solid to attach your cabinets to. Cover that with PMF and you are good to go.

Got it, for the cabinets support. How about the solar panels on the roof? And PMF.....? Still on the learning curve. I goggled --- tops was Presidential Management Fellows, and not to far down the list, in the Uban Dictionary was what I was if I wanted to go to Harvard. :)
Poor Man’s Fiberglass. Canvas with glue, primer or paint.

Routing mount points for all connections. I will be adding cabinet like support for my solar panel mont points on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Actually, if you are using PMF as a skin, I've had occasion to use a hole saw
to cut through and cement in a backer block in 2 areas. I was able to cover
the repair with a patch that is not too noticeable.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Foamies