First Trailer! So many questions!

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: First Trailer! So many questions!

Postby dotrosedotnet » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:54 am

rjgimp wrote:If you are building with foam, and particularly if you are skinning it with canvas and paint, you can lop chunks off and reconstruct it however you like at any later point.

like canvas and gripper, rather than titebond? I wasn't aware that that was an option. I think I may be handy enough to make it acurately and comfortably through canvas and titebond, unless wisdom insists otherwise. :)
dotrosedotnet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:14 am

Dot , consider Foam to a trailer builder like a lump of clay to a sculptor , you can add and subtract what you want and theoretically make most any shape you want … :thinking: 79870
If you want some ideas , feel free to peruse my gallery of photos and drawings , showing many ideas and plans …Press the little camera button next to my name . That’s what it’s there for … mostly :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Dot if you look through GPW's album you'll see a squarish trailer with a slanted nose and a 'camo' paint job. This all happened before I got here and I hope he'll correct me but I believe that was the first foamie GPW built (about ten years ago!) and he had it for several years. After he build the much larger, rounded "Foamstream" he sold the first trailer to another member Bonnie from Illinois and if I understand correctly she lopped off the roof and added some height to the walls then painted it an entirely different color. I was trying to find some photos or the thread where I read about Bonnie driving away with it.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:33 am

Well , it’s not driving away , but a pic of Bonnie with both trailers … :)

Last heard , the Foamie #1 is now the “Nookery” … and more is being added to it … :thumbsup:
Attachments
Bonnie .JPG
Bonnie .JPG (249.96 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
A2Ffin.jpg
A2Ffin.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
A1F fin .jpg
A1F fin .jpg (149.26 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Noc3 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Unless you're building gchoe's 4x8 simple square camper I think 1 month is unrealistic.

I'm a bit OCD and overbuilding but I've spent well over 3 months on my 5.5' x 10.5'

Trying to glue large panels together to get larger than 4x8 walls or ceiling takes up LOTS of space and time to glue etc. Not to mention cold temps slow or straight up STOP glue from curing.

I'm lucky to have indoor space to assemble my walls. I'm covering my build with a harbor freight carport and a bunch of dropcloths for makeshift walls. Still, cold is making it not so fun to work on.

I'm committed to my design now, but if I could go back and do it all over, I'd build the rectangle box camper. You can always sell it and build your dream design later when you have previous experience and more time to plan and build.

Good Luck!
Noc3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dotrosedotnet » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:11 pm

ugh. having a hard time forfeiting my vision. I have such little time, but I really wanna finish this. I may start using space heaters to make sure that the glue is setting.
dotrosedotnet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Noc3 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:12 am

I feel ya. I ended up getting a carport and wrapping it in tarps and using my diesel furnace to heat my makeshift "garage"

I'm lucky to have a place to stay and work on it. My original plan was to move out of my house and into the trailer in december. I had to rent another room in a house share, I'm committed to making it how i designed it but it may be spring before its ready.
Noc3
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Foamies