Questions and How-tos on foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Questions and How-tos on foamies

Postby Riveninside » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:06 am

Been doing some research for a while, but a little bit lost on some stuff, so hopefully you can guide me in the right direction!
mostly i'd like to build a, i think they call it, a "Squatty" ? where you can't stand, but you don't need to crawl... on my harbor freight trailer.

Making doors/windows
- Are the doors in foamies usually just framed foam, covered in canvas?
- The door frame itself on the trailer, is it just wood glued to the foam with some form of a weather stripping inside?

How to wrap properly with canvas
- How do you wrap the canvas around the bottom plywood that attaches to the trailer? I haven't seen this covered well (drum fill.....)
- - - - - In my thinking, i would coat the bottom of the base with the roofing compound, wrap the trailer in canvas with a lip around the bottom and glue it to the bottom and then bolt it to the trailer? or is there something else i'm missing? i just do'nt want any rot obviously on the plywood bottom :) want to make sure it's as covered as possible.

How to attach the foam to plywood?
- do you use Gorilla glue?
- this is in regards to attaching the foam to the trailer base itself. Most builds i've looked at make the walls, then glue them to the trailer

Can I build the wheel wells with plywood and coat it with roofing
- this is me thinking about the harbor freight trailer i have, i'd like it a bit wider than 4 foot, possibly 6 feet, but of course, there is the wheel wells... How do people go about widening their camper over the wheels?
- in my head, i'd just build the wheel wells into the bottom and then coat it with the roofing compound like i would do with the whole rest of the bottom... or is there a better way?

Can i build it shaped like a tiny house?
- i mean, i could build it any shape i want...but, this is in regards to their very lightweightedness, I really love the look of this trailer i found, but it's an older cargo trailer that was turned into a camper, but foamies are of course light weight amd i'd be worried about it getting TOO much drag or being blown side to side
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/cheap-tr ... ro-camper/

i'm sure i'll have more questions later, but this is what has been floating around my head for days now.
Riveninside
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Questions and How-tos on foamies

Postby Riveninside » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:12 am

this is another one i've been fully enjoying as well - i'd do it a bit different, but i really like the height and honestly... the space for the toilet

https://tinyhousetalk.com/custom-mini-camper/
Riveninside
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Riveninside wrote:Been doing some research for a while, but a little bit lost on some stuff, so hopefully you can guide me in the right direction!

I'm no expert. In fact I haven't even built mine yet, but I have been soaking up information here like a sponge for a couple years. Happy to share what I have learned, for what it's worth.

Riveninside wrote:Making doors/windows
- Are the doors in foamies usually just framed foam, covered in canvas?
- The door frame itself on the trailer, is it just wood glued to the foam with some form of a weather stripping inside?

So, if you are doing foam with PMF, you can glue wood framing (think 1x2, you aren't building a house here) into the door opening. Yes, you can build a door out of a slab of foam wrapped in PMF. I don't think it is essential that you frame the perimeter with wood but you certainly can. You can also install a commercially built door.

Riveninside wrote:How to wrap properly with canvas
- How do you wrap the canvas around the bottom plywood that attaches to the trailer? I haven't seen this covered well (drum fill.....)
- - - - - In my thinking, i would coat the bottom of the base with the roofing compound, wrap the trailer in canvas with a lip around the bottom and glue it to the bottom and then bolt it to the trailer? or is there something else I'm missing? i just don't want any rot obviously on the plywood bottom :) want to make sure it's as covered as possible.

I don't quite have my mind wrapped around this part yet either (HA! I guess that was a bit punny!) but my understanding is that many do wrap canvas under the floor a couple inches. PLEASE don't use roofing tar! Reading through build journals the vast majority of those who do that wish they hadn't. It's a disgusting mess! To seal the wood you use for the floor and protect it from water intrusion resulting in rot, use "The Mix" which is 25% spar varnish and 75% mineral spirits. Paint it on, let it soak in, repeat. Keep doing that until it stops soaking in. In fact, do this with ALL the wood you use in your build. Even the framing for the doorway that is covered with PMF.

Riveninside wrote:How to attach the foam to plywood?
- do you use Gorilla glue?
- this is in regards to attaching the foam to the trailer base itself. Most builds i've looked at make the walls, then glue them to the trailer

Several schools of thought on this. I believe Gorilla Glue is one way to get that done.

Riveninside wrote:Can I build the wheel wells with plywood and coat it with roofing
- this is me thinking about the harbor freight trailer i have, i'd like it a bit wider than 4 foot, possibly 6 feet, but of course, there is the wheel wells... How do people go about widening their camper over the wheels?
- in my head, i'd just build the wheel wells into the bottom and then coat it with the roofing compound like i would do with the whole rest of the bottom... or is there a better way?

Again, NO roofing tar! LOL! Yes, If your walls will extend over the wheels you can build wooden wheel wells. Waterproof the wood with "The Mix" and maybe protect the underside with metal sheeting in case of a blowout.

Riveninside wrote:Can i build it shaped like a tiny house?
- i mean, i could build it any shape i want...but, this is in regards to their very lightweightedness, I really love the look of this trailer i found, but it's an older cargo trailer that was turned into a camper, but foamies are of course light weight and I'd be worried about it getting TOO much drag or being blown side to side
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/cheap-tr ... ro-camper/

Yes, of course! The beauty of foam is that your design possibilities are nearly unlimited. If you are aiming towards a "squattie" or a "slouchie" I really wouldn't worry so much about it being tossed about by wind. Mine is going to be quite large. I am building a full standie of foam and PMF on a salvaged 7' x 14' popup frame so I will be just over 7' tall. I drove semi trucks for 25 years so I guess I'm a bit more used to that sensation than most.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:04 pm

I framed my foam core doors and the opening in wood. You need something to screw the hinges and door handle into. Same thing with the hatch.

Definitely wrap a few inches of canvas around to the underside when you do the outer walls and incorporate a drip edge at the bottom of the walls.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:51 pm

Can i build it shaped like a tiny house?

I'm a wood guy, but no matter what the material, engineering is the same.

Here's a pic of a roof truss:

The bottom chord is there to prevent the two side chords from pushing the walls out.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby markscull » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 pm

Can I glue filon to foam and what glue do I use
markscull
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:39 am

Watch out for those overly tall skinny trailers …. remember Catherine and twins …. !!!! :shock:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies