Build started//Sub 600 lbs / 2 months to build / aerodynamic

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Build started//Sub 600 lbs / 2 months to build / aerodyn

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:51 am

Yann, 485 lb. … That’s LIGHT !!! :D Bet it towed nice !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby YannG » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:27 pm

And....made it.

YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:31 pm

GPW wrote:Yann, 485 lb. … That’s LIGHT !!! :D Bet it towed nice !!! :thumbsup:

Yes very happy. I couldn't have done any better with another base material.

Car is pulling at roughly 8 litres /100 km ( whatever that is in gallon and miles hihi)

Without the trailer it is usually around 6.5 Lt/ 100. So I guess it's pretty good. But no, I don't feel it's there on the highway. Just in the city with our ugly roads in Quebec.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:47 pm

I would like to say a special thank you to all the people that helped me on this thread. I couldn't have done it without you guys and for those that aren't sure if they can build a camper out of foam, just go for it. Total cost was about $1000 Cdn. I already had the trailer. I think just for the experience that $1000 is worth it.

Tongue box out of foam as well. Leveling pad out of foam ( not a good idea) but works. They were made out of eps so they compress a bit and the lot is partially gravel so ....

Good luck everyone and happy summer.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby skyl4rk » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:57 pm

Very nice build. Thank you for posting pics!
skyl4rk
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

YannG wrote:Car is pulling at roughly 8 litres /100 km ( whatever that is in gallon and miles hihi)

By my math - and I wouldn't rely on it - that is about 29.4 miles per gallon. I'd be happy with that gas mileage!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Terra6 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am

Nice.
:applause: :wine:
Pretty happy with your accomplishment I'm sure.
Now that you're done, some questions.
How has the load and unload process on and off the trailer gone? Guessing trailer around 300 lbs leaves less than 200 lb for camper part. Can maneuver with 1 person on and off? Method to do so?
Curious if numerous transfers will eventually cause structural issues or cracks that might require further structural reinforcement.

What did you do for ventilation finally?
What part of the belle province?
On the road to Shambala...
Terra6
Teardrop Master

Postby YannG » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 am

Terra6 wrote:Nice.
:applause: :wine:
Pretty happy with your accomplishment I'm sure.
Now that you're done, some questions.
How has the load and unload process on and off the trailer gone? Guessing trailer around 300 lbs leaves less than 200 lb for camper part. Can maneuver with 1 person on and off? Method to do so?
Curious if numerous transfers will eventually cause structural issues or cracks that might require further structural reinforcement.

What did you do for ventilation finally?
What part of the belle province?

I can unload by myself by placing a stand slightly lower than the trailer at the rear. By raising the tongue with the tongue jack, the rear of the trailer lowers, so the foamie rests on the stand. Then I use 2 rollers under the foamie and pull the trailer out adding a second stand in the process. To load, reverse.

But, if there is a second person around, it is much faster and easier.

Does it damage the foamie? To be honest, this thing seems very sturdy.

The only damage I noticed was the canvas overlapping the floor underneath. The trailer has a mesh bottom. I guess on the road there is so friction between the mesh and the canvas and it got damaged ( very very very slightly). I may just add sort protection there or add some wooden board to the trailer.

Super heavy rain yesterday in the Gatineau region with high winds. Windows were open the whole time and not a single drop of water made its way inside. So I don't think I will add more.ventilation for now. Will leave windows cracked open this summer. If I find that more ventilation is necessary, I will use what was proposed a few message up.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:25 pm

Prepping for my longest trip of the year. Will add some interior pics while I am there.

This trip is the reason I built the foamie after I have been hit hard by a storm last year on my first night. Tent soaked, sleeping gear soaked, clothing soaked...Ended sleeping in the car for a whole week. I said No more lol.

This year, I have the foamie. Should be a much better experience.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi all, hit a snag while camping. Maybe one of you experienced this as well already. I was camping during a heat wave. It was pretty hot while sleeping and in the mornings, there was water accumulated between the mattress and the floor.

I guess it was from body heat and humidity.

I am wondering what you guys are using as mattresses and sleep ware in the south where heat and humidity can be quite intense. At this rate, my memory foam mattress will be moldy by the end of the summer if I don't change something.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby YannG » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:22 pm

YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:18 am

Ventilation !!! ;) Lots of it …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby YannG » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:13 am

GPW wrote:Ventilation !!! ;) Lots of it …

Thanks. So more ventilation on the foamie like roof and side vents, extra windows etc or fans? We had 3 small fans going but clearly those were not enough.

I am wondering if I made a mistake by installing cushion flooring. Maybe condensation from body heat gets trapped between the mattress and the flooring.

It was a pain to have to dry the mattress every day.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:29 pm

I figured someone would post this up by now https://www.hyperventonline.com/ . I did not post up earlier since I don't use the stuff so I have no experience with it. I do get moisture, but not enough to pool on the floor. Not sure why. I do have some high density foam that I got from harbor freight on the floor to add insulation and comfort so I wonder if it might be mitigating this situation some. Plus I have four dinette seat mattress that get stacked nearly every day we are out.

I don't recommend a roof vent. It is a place that water can get in if the seals fail. It only takes once and you have a headache. Also, even though roof vents are suppose to help with moisture they still can collect moisture and drip water down on your bedding during the night. They tend to work better in larger RV''s. I build 4 non closeable wall vents in my trailers and rely on windows being open for ventilation. But that is me.

Good luck! George.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:05 pm

YannG wrote:
GPW wrote:Ventilation !!! ;) Lots of it …

Thanks. So more ventilation on the foamie like roof and side vents, extra windows etc or fans? We had 3 small fans going but clearly those were not enough.

I am wondering if I made a mistake by installing cushion flooring. Maybe condensation from body heat gets trapped between the mattress and the flooring.

It was a pain to have to dry the mattress every day.

I have a 120MM PC case fan that blows in, and I open the vent on the roof, and I can feel it become less "muggy" inside. The water is probably building up on the walls, and then running down to the mattress. If it continues to be a problem, you could try stuffing towels between the mattress and the walls, then pull those out to dry instead of the mattress.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies