Handy Hardpoint Tool

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Handy Hardpoint Tool

Postby ScottE » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:11 pm

I needed to add some hardpoints to the walls of my foamy (Camp Capsule), to hang some picture frames, and came up with this handy tool. It's a 1/2" galvanized pipe nipple that been ground sharp, and slotted to allow material to escape. I've used this as a tap for cutting into ABS black plastic pipe and leaving a threaded hole for screwing in PVC pipe (with the appropriate cement.) Turns out, it bores a perfect hole through canvas and foam that mates with a piece of 3/4" wooden dowel perfectly. You mark the depth of the hole you'd like on the tool with a sharpie, align the tool with the wall, and push firmly while turning. It will cut through the canvas and into the foam to the depth marked. Slowly unscrew the tool from the wall and the plug will remain inside the tool. Cut a length of dowel to match the depth bored, lightly coat the end and sides with Gorilla Glue and insert into the hole. Place a short length of duct tape over the plug to keep it flush in the hole. After curing, you can drill a pilot hole for a screw that will support most hanging frames with ease.164872164873164874
Anything is possible, if you don't know it can't be done!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Handy Hardpoint Tool

Postby YannG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:15 am

That's smart. Thanks for sharing.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:59 am

Great idea !!! But IMHO ,we like a small plywood plate over the top of the dowel to spread out the load on the foam surface… ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ScottE » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Interesting! Nice touch!
Anything is possible, if you don't know it can't be done!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Foamies