Styrofoam floor base

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Styrofoam floor base

Postby stcyrwm » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 pm

Anybody ever do a floor without plywood on bottom? Just wondering if you could glue the styrofoam down to metal frame and put plywood on top?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Re: Styrofoam floor base

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:54 am

Not a method we’d recommend , depends on the foam … :thinking: A dense industrial foam … maybe ??? :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:17 am

I'm curious as to what advantage this would be?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby stcyrwm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 am

Sorry, brain cramp, I forgot that styrofoam is flammable when it is exposed. So even if it was possible in other ways, that kills the discussion...
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby stcyrwm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:55 am

QueticoBill wrote:I'm curious as to what advantage this would be?

I was just looking at prices of plywood, sigh, and wondered. But just remembered fire hazard of exposed styrofoam and realized that alone makes it a bad idea...

Also thinking about lightest weight floor systems but I can do a search in that regard.

Thanks, Bill
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 am

I don't know current prices but 1/4" ply glued yo both sides of 1" or thicker XPS is stronger than and lighter than 3/4" ply atop foam.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:38 am

Stcy, we’ve considered many materials and over time have settled on a “board” floor … treated with the Mix , and if you want something Light , we’ve longed to try Cedar fence boards for a floor … Light , bug resistant, and fairly inexpensive when compared to even a single sheet of light plywood … :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:30 pm

OP827
Donating Member

Postby stcyrwm » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:01 pm

OP827 wrote:Rainier70 did such a foam insulated floor: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&p=1249121&hilit=foam+floor#p1249121

Thanks, that is an interesting build for sure! Part of the reason along with thriftiness that I wondered about leaving it exposed originally is that I thought it would be nice to skip the step of having to paint/seal the plywood - as I am having some health issues and trying to reduce labor where possible. Interestingly the 1979 advantech chip board floor I pulled up was in perfect condition on the bottom. Unfortunately the top was destroyed by rodent odors and leaks from the roof. So I am considering that or those green Zip panels you see on new construction everywhere now. They are not as cheap as 1/4" ply but seem like they might work as is with less labor and no paint costs.

Thanks!
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby YannG » Sun May 02, 2021 7:41 am

stcyrwm wrote:

I was just looking at prices of plywood, sigh, and wondered. But just remembered fire hazard of exposed styrofoam and realized that alone makes it a bad idea...

Also thinking about lightest weight floor systems but I can do a search in that regard.

Thanks, Bill
Tough time to buy lumbers and ply. I never though I would buy treated 2x4s @$12 one day. I did yesterday at lumber yard in Canada :cry: Price of plywood and OSB went crazy as well. I just can't imagine building a new house these days. I understand why you thought about finding alternatives.
YannG
Teardrop Advisor

Postby stcyrwm » Sun May 02, 2021 11:39 am

[/quote] Tough time to buy lumbers and ply. I never though I would buy treated 2x4s @$12 one day. I did yesterday at lumber yard in Canada :cry: Price of plywood and OSB went crazy as well. I just can't imagine building a new house these days. I understand why you thought about finding alternatives.[/quote]

Yah, I was in the lumberyard yesterday. 50 to 80 plus dollars for basic 1/2 and 3/4 plywoods. Jaw dropping! That plus my old back acting up is definitely slowing it all down...

stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby stcyrwm » Mon May 03, 2021 6:28 am

YannG wrote:
stcyrwm wrote:

Thanks, Bill
Tough time to buy lumbers and ply. I never though I would buy treated 2x4s @$12 one day. I did yesterday at lumber yard in Canada :cry: Price of plywood and OSB went crazy as well. I just can't imagine building a new house these days. I understand why you thought about finding alternatives.
[/quote] Tough time to buy lumbers and ply. I never though I would buy treated 2x4s @$12 one day. I did yesterday at lumber yard in Canada :cry: Price of plywood and OSB went crazy as well. I just can't imagine building a new house these days. I understand why you thought about finding alternatives.[/quote]

Yah, I was in the lumberyard yesterday. 50 to 80 plus dollars for basic 1/2 and 3/4 plywoods. Jaw dropping! That plus my old back acting up is definitely slowing it all down...

stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby kimphan » Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm wondering about the same thing... Vinyl sheet flooring seems really economical and could work if the foam floor can take our weight... I've heard eva foam floor might be ok. But not all sure....
"Puff" (the magic dragon) build log - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=73766
kimphan
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies