PMF Seams

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

PMF Seams

Postby Shirestone » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:22 am

I'm onto the final outer phase of the project and wanted some insight as to the proper method to do seams.
I have 2" XPS foam and 10 oz canvas.
I plan on using 50/50 titebond II and water.
My test pieces so far haven't been to successful in terms of nice clean seams.
Could somebody point me to some good examples and links which show the proper technique.

Currently I am doing the following:
1) Put glue mix on foam and canvas.
2) press canvas onto foam with a roller. Wet down the outside canvas with water to help get out wrinkles.
3) Pin down the edges.
4) Wait for first canvas to dry. Cut this canvas once dried to the foam to hopefully allow a nice clean edge.
5) Get my second piece of canvas and run a small strip of glue along an edge. Wait for this to dry and cut this canvas to allow a nice clean cut.
6) Repeat steps 1 to 3 and overlap with the first piece of canvas by about 4".

The problem I am experiencing is that the second piece doesnt seem to want to adhere very well to the first peice..creates a bit of a raggedy edge.
I have tried using straight titebond II for the overlap section and that doesnt seem to help either.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Keep in mind that this is for a canvas on foam NOT canvas on wood.

Thanks again.
:beer: :beer:
I'm not an Engineer...I just play one on TV.
Shirestone
Teardrop Builder

Re: PMF Seams

Postby ghcoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:05 pm

I have only had to do two overlaps and they were on #1. You can read through how I did mine here.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=465

I think they turned out pretty good.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:25 pm

ghcoe wrote:I have only had to do two overlaps and they were on #1. You can read through how I did mine here.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54099&start=465

I think they turned out pretty good.

Me too. :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Shirestone wrote:I'm onto the final outer phase of the project and wanted some insight as to the proper method to do seams.
I have 2" XPS foam and 10 oz canvas.
I plan on using 50/50 titebond II and water.
My test pieces so far haven't been to successful in terms of nice clean seams.
Could somebody point me to some good examples and links which show the proper technique.

Currently I am doing the following:
1) Put glue mix on foam and canvas.
2) press canvas onto foam with a roller. Wet down the outside canvas with water to help get out wrinkles.
3) Pin down the edges.
4) Wait for first canvas to dry. Cut this canvas once dried to the foam to hopefully allow a nice clean edge.
5) Get my second piece of canvas and run a small strip of glue along an edge. Wait for this to dry and cut this canvas to allow a nice clean cut.
6) Repeat steps 1 to 3 and overlap with the first piece of canvas by about 4".

The problem I am experiencing is that the second piece doesnt seem to want to adhere very well to the first peice..creates a bit of a raggedy edge.
I have tried using straight titebond II for the overlap section and that doesnt seem to help either.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Keep in mind that this is for a canvas on foam NOT canvas on wood.

Thanks again.
:beer: :beer:

I used titebond II and didn't have problems at all with overlaps. What I did differently was I never thinned by glue more than 10% with water. That seemed thin enough to roll. Second, I never let it dry fully before I trimmed my edges using a new utility knife blade (which I changed the minute it stopped cutting cleanly.) I immediately slathered straight glue on the overlaps and them squeegeed them down to remove excess glue. Worked for me.

The only thing that stands out for me with your method is letting the glue dry completely before the next step. Glue may not stick as well to dried glue as it does to tacky glue.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies