New build, removable camper on HF utility

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: New build, removable camper on HF utility

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Last night Detroit had a sudden storm roll up on it with decent winds, granted nothing compared to what the gulf is going through atm. I managed to get lucky today and score some broken ez-up tent parts. Square tubing is expensive and good for all sorts of camper projects. Some of this will be used for awnings, folding table legs, and a fold out shower/privy/changing area. I also snagged the center hubs for the peak this time, I haven't a use yet for these but in time i will.

CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Weekend update.
I got two solid days worth of working on the camper this weekend. Saturday I PMF'ed the roof and worked on building out the galley cabinets. Also built some shelves and some other parts for in the cabin. Started figuring out how to configure the in cabin storage cubbies. made a plan for Monday, knowing that I had family obligations Sunday.
Monday, the plan was to route out foam to install inserts for the side table mounts, marker and porch lights as well as for the angle trim on the galley hatch are.
Instead the wind kicked up and blew the side wall away from the table it was clamped to and broke the base of the door, making the panel very unstable.
I took this as an opportunity, and grabbed a couple sheets of ply and cut out door skins and surrounds. The inserts for the passive vents and front marker lights will be incorporated into the surrounds. Built the door shells and cut out the windows.
Had a visitor unexpectedly, but she was brought me a REI garage sale find, I was looking for an exped double mattress for the camper and car camping.
She hungout and chatted as I worked on the galley hatch panels.
I finished up the day clamping and skewering everything in place so I could test fit the mattress. I also found placement for the shelves and reading lights.
The next hurdle is hinges and door locks. My doors are 2" and it looks like most lock sets are built for 1.5" so I may have to get creative.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:40 am

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to get out of work an hour early, which turned into a day of dodging raindrops and routing foam.
Laid in inserts for side table brackets, marker lights Interior and exterior door frames. Ran through most of my first bottle of GG.
I need to knuckle down on battery location so I can install wiring and wrap the interior panels.
I also need to get a good filler ( great stuff big gaps?) to fill a couple areas where I slipped with the router/ sander.
I think I have everything that I need to finish the build except another lumber run for interior cupboards and a hinge for the galley.
I am considering going with a living hinge instead of a hurricane for cost reasons.
I am surprised how this has been coming together.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 am

Weekend update.
Parts order came in: Hinges, porch lights, 2nd reading lamp, cabinet hardware. At this point I (think) have everything except trim aluminum, and a galley hinge.

Work update: Figured out where to place the fuse box, inverter and battery. Now I can start fiddling with wiring runs. This is the last step before I can skin the interior sidewalls. Looks like spackling is in my future.
Built the interior cabin cupboard frame and the top cupboards for the galley. I decided to shift the galley up 1.5" and forward 1". I'm going to use this space to rework the slide outs and so I can add a fascia so the galley looks neater.
The plan for the coming week is to finish the galley and cabin cabinets.

Getting closer but it never seemed so far from completion.

TO DO:

Install fuse boxes
Install cross beams
Install roof vent
Install marker and stoplights.
Install cabin lights and switches
Make and install cabinet doors and hardware
Install galley access panel.

Assemble doors/ latches and windows
Install door trim and seals
Skin exterior
paint, sand paint sand paint...
Install rack, awnings

In process or complete
9/14Install passive side vents
make drawers for galley
Install countertop material and trim out galley
9/17 Skin cabinets in cabin and galley.(started)
Battery hold down/and access door.
9/18 Skin interior walls.
Install corner shelves
Make roof rack/scaled down cage for solar/and awnings.
Extend tongue
Finish leveling jacks
Assemble hatch
Galley hinge, buy and cry then install

TO BE DONE NEXT YEAR:
Build bumper with hitch receiver
Last edited by CRZ42 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 am

Did a little work last night. Built the drawers for the galley. I wrapped the drawer fronts with aluminum, which was a first for me. I learned enough to make the countertop workout better. I will likely trim out the lower galley with aluminum too.
I tried contact cement on scrap foam, the solvent which I knew would, melted the foam. The section that was PMF covered on my test piece didn't melt.

A mistake while building the upper cabinet section turned out to be a boon. I had routed stuff for a 1x3 but meant to install a 1x2 ending up in a sizable gap. This turns out to be near perfect for running wires. I have an easy run more or less of 6ft battery to the fusebox and easy runs out to the sidewalls for the lighting vent fan.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:52 pm

My travel companion got back from Out west this week and in turn took a bite out of my free time this weekend. But some additional headway was made.
I skinned out the interior walls, spackled the problem areas an sanded where the high build areas were.
Worked on skinning the in cabin and galley cabinets.
I routed a channel into the top of the side walls to run wiring for lighting.
Today, I took the big step and GGlued up the front panels to the side walls. Once it cured I sanded the excess flat, and squared up the edges. I was shocked at how strong and sturdy it felt.
For time concern reasons, I am simplifying some cabinetry plans and also saving the stove/cooler slide out mods until next spring.
I am 3 weeks from the expected first trip

By far the most important thing I've done this weekend is cleaning up the build site. My yard and build are has become a real mess and I have been neglecting it. I cleaned up foam remnants from the build area. Unusable cut lumber is getting tossed in the fire pit. Putting tools away instead of tossing them in a tote and throwing that in the garage.

Tomorrow I need to order door trim and the galley hinge as well as continuing to pick up the build mess.
I am trying to Keep the imgur album up to date, but I have a tendency to get on a roll and forget to take pics.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Well, between the wacky weather and getting sick my progress has slowed.
I spent the second half of the week dealing with a migraine and then a upper resp infection. The temp dropped from 80's to 50's overnight and it got me, I get one like this every year, but Covid makes it worse and makes me paranoid.
For the most part I've been resting.
Today, I was feeling better enough that I went out to the garage for a bit.
I finished making the corner jacks and built up the roof rack. I was going to do a roof top basket, but have scrapped the idea for time and simplicity.

That is all for now, time for pizza, the tussin and sleep.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:13 am

Slow build week, kept chugging on the kitchen/galley build. I need to get that wrapped up this week, once that is done I can install and mount it permanently which is the last big before final assembly.
I am running out of time for the expected maiden voyage. It is my hope that next week I get the wrapping done.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 am

CRZ, Looking Good !!! Take your time , do it Right !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CRZ42 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:38 am

GPW wrote:CRZ, Looking Good !!! Take your time , do it Right !!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm trying to keep it slow and steady but I am champing at the bit.

My partner and I both want to get out in the woods again. I had some medical stuff that made it where I can yet sleep on the ground. due to this I haven't been camping in 2 years.
I am de-contenting from my original plans as the build goes on:
The cage and basket ideas are gone, simple roof rack is the new plan to hold awnings and solar panel ( solar panel likely to be a spring thing due to time.)
The fancy cupboard door plans are on the bin. lightweight bungies are in.
Getting rid of the gas struts for the galley, using a couple prop poles so I don't need to add as much reinforcement to the hatch.
Opting out of adding 110v wiring and using a plug in inverter when needed.
Veneer interior is being scrapped for PMF and paint ( still going to decoupage old national park posters and topo maps on walls and ceiling)
Under cabin bin storage is being scrapped on this build for time.
Dual sliding stove rig will be retrofitted next season or just installed in new build.
Bumper, hitch receiver, ramp mounts gone for now, that will be a next season thing
For the maiden voyage I'll likely be taping the doors in transit because I haven't been willing to bite the bullet on T trim for the doors yet.( I expect to screw up at least 2 sticks of it, and cash is short right now.)

I have some friends that are willing to pay me to make one for them and I have started looking for a donor trailer for my V2. I have learned so much building this one but am not about to go back and redo things when I can start fresh on a wider trailer
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:05 am

Keeping it simple is always a better idea … Much easier to use when camping … :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CRZ42 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Tooka a couple hours today to work on the wiring while the galley is still in the garage.
Modified the fuse box, made sub harnesses for the solar control and battery bank. Installed all the wiring for the galley lights. Terminated 1/3 of the galley lights and tested switch function. Sorted out the location for mounting of electrical components. This weekend I will be permanently installing the galley providing nothing pops up to ruin the plan.
Once the galley is in, I can hook up the rest of the wires already ran in the walls which is what has been preventing me from final assembly and skinning the exterior.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 am

Well it has been a few days... Between the raindrops retirement parties and mental health days I hadn't had time to work on this as much as I would like. I hit the wall mentally with the project working on the galley killed my motivation. However yesterday I was able to get out of work earlier than normal, and despite the threat of rain I went hard on the camper. Between that and a talk with with my SO about things that are going to have to wait till spring (interior finishing) I was able to get out of the rut I was in.
Copypasta from a facebook post below.
Added roof vent. (still need to make the 5mm ply insert to screw into)
Ran the remainder of the wiring for the lights.
Shimmed the galley and added a braces I should have had in the original design. ( need to get mending plates to fasten everything together)
Made access panel for the battery/ charge control and inverter.
Did some shady sh** with my trim router add a sliding door to the access panel.
Cut the hatch mating surface to a 45° So I can install backer board and hinge.
Made a plan for installing interior hatch lighting and brake/ license plate lighting.

Today while I was running tests where I usually sit on my hands doing nothing I worked on the battery access door and sewing the velcro on to the tarps for the awning.
If tomorrow goes as planned I'll be able to terminate secure and test the wiring. Once that is done, I'm spraying floor wall joint and galley walls with GStuff and strapping/ clamping all the things.

In a perfect world I would be able to start skinning the exterior... But, I am watching the girlfriend's furkids while she is in Colorado this weekend and they are a handful.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Progress!
Wiring is 90% done. Got some silly little issues that are popping up with the LEDs to do and hook up the trailer running lights.
Did a fair amount of work on the hatch today. Added inserts for mounting the hatch retainers, hatch lock liscense plate and taillights. installed the plastic hinge. Going to try again, I didn't like how it turned out. After mounting the hatch I noticed how unstable it felt when it was lifted. Going to route out some slits in the hatch and glue in some ply inserts.

Remaining Big Stuff
Skin the exterior.
Install and test trailer lighting
Finish tongue extension and mount.
Bearing and lug service
Finish doors
Install additional ceiling support.
Glue roof Glue floor
Bolt on corner jacks Bolt on roof rack and solar panel.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

Postby CRZ42 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:14 pm

Today was my first day on night shift. For as long as I am able I am going to try ang take some time before work to work on the camper.
Today's installment was fixing the wiring issues I found late yesterday. I then built the frame for the solar panel nd finished the day by gluing the roof to the walls.
The reward for that progress was the wind knocking the galley hatch over and breaking at the seam. Which I look at as more of a blessing than an issue. It was weak at the seam and the great stuff had degraded from UV exposure. Plus with it coming apart makes it easier to route in slots to glue in plywood ribs.
I also think that I will be opting for a hurricane hinge despite my not wanting to spend the money. I have to order T-molding for the doors already so I might as well bite the bullet and do it right.
CRZ42
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies