Anyone on PVC foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Anyone on PVC foam?

Postby napoleonbot » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:28 pm

I recently discovered a material called PVC foam, used in outdoor sign and print panel foam core, which seems good for trailer build.

There is a guy build boat out of PVC foam sheet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_wOzcAmds

I never seen and touched it in real life, but give how he handle it, the PVC foam seems in strength/hardness scale between plywood and EPS foam (insulation foam).
It is bondable, bendable, and lightweight, and reinforced by fiberglass well. If it has all the properties good for boat building, I see no reason it cannot be used in trailer build.

Anyone had experience with PVC foam sheet? It is hard to come-by, unlike home depot /lowes, it only supplied in bulk supply like uline.
napoleonbot
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Anyone on PVC foam?

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:06 pm

If you know anyone who has a sign shop, they might be able to order it for you. Lots of interesting materials available for outdoor signs. The PVC looks interesting because you can glue it and it's naturally waterproof.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Anyone on PVC foam?

Postby Squigie » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:49 pm

It is somewhat frequently used on homebuilt aircraft, for fairing certain parts of the planes - like leading edges, wing tips, transitions into horizontal and/or vertical stabilizers, ID light bolsters, etc.
I have almost never seen it used in any structural manner, however. Not even in planes with VNEs below 90 knots.

Aircraft Spruce sells pieces.

Whatever you end up with, if you do end up with some, make sure you get specs for that specific material. It looks like a few on the market have distortion temps as low as 150 F, which can be achieved inside a car or on surfaces in direct sunlight. At that point, it is just a half-cooked lasagna noodle, trying to flow out of its fiberglass/epoxy shell (which is then the only structural component).
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Foamies