Smoking.

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Do you smoke?

Yeah, what's it to you? (blowing smoke in their face.)
1%
Yes I do. (blowing smoke up in the air.)
10%
Yes I do. I'll put it out if it bothers you.
9%
Yes I do, but not when we gather like this, unless I ask first.
2%
No, but don't mind if you do.
11%
No, but don't mind if you do. Please stay downwind of me.
30%
No and I don't want to smell that stinch. (cough, cough)
35%

Total votes : 141

Postby SteveH » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:33 am

mrainey wrote:Here in North Carolina a lot of people make their living from the tobacco industry. The pay rate for standing there all day watching cigarettes go by on a machine is quite a bit higher than that offered to a skilled machinist or a teacher.

Politicians keep this in mind. They even went so far as to spend a big chunk of the tobacco settlement money on a Tobacco Museum. It was supposed to have gone for anti-smoking education.

Once in a while you'll see a "human interest" story, with the young tobacco grower, wife, and small kids standing there explaining that they're just trying to feed their families, etc., they're not trying to hurt anybody, etc. A few generations back that argument might have had some validity, but not now.

MRainey,

I've read several pieces about the tobacco industry and the economy and such over there where you live, and I understand it. But you know what...they can't convince me that land over there is only good for growing tobacco, and not good for growing food crops.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:15 am

SteveH wrote:But you know what...they can't convince me that land over there is only good for growing tobacco, and not good for growing food crops.

Of course it can grow other crops, but tobacco is where the money is. If it weren't, they'd grow something more profitable.

OK, marijuana is a LOT more profitable. But growing tobacco won't get you sent to jail... yet.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby mrainey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:22 am

tobacco is where the money is.

Exactly right.
mrainey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dooner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:40 am

Being in the amusement vending business, I see a lot of smokers in the bars just puffing away without a care. They should be with me when I clean a pool table with easy off oven cleaner. It goes from a dark walnut to a light oak after an hour or so.
We also rent out buildings for bars. One closed up a couple of years back, and we went in and cleaned up and did some remodeling. The light oak paneling on the walls were cleaned with simple green and heavy scrubbrushes. I could not believe all that came off those walls. It was like old varnish. The ceiling had to be sprayed with KILZ twice and still bled through.

Question for the still smokers. Does what I said above make you think about what is going into your lungs? Remember, that stuff is from second hand smoke. What is coming out of your lungs. I'm just curious about how the smokers mind works.
I know there is a lot of things out there that will kill you, but smoking seems to be one of the easiest things to delete from the list.
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:01 am

Dooner wrote:Snip Snip--I know there is a lot of things out there that will kill you, but smoking seems to be one of the easiest things to delete from the list.

Dooner,
Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit. It is a chemical addiction. Few people just say yuck and quit. Those people are not addicted.

How I finally quit.( the third time) ;) You are not addicted to buying, borrowing, visiting people who smoke, or any other method of getting cigeretts. Just inhaling. Just say no the the things that you can control.---No cigeretts--no smoking. It does get better but for those of us who are chemically addicted it does't go away completely.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 am

Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit. It is a chemical addiction. Few people just say yuck and quit. Those people are not addicted.

I don't agree, to quit smoking is a decision on your part whether you feel addicted or not. You have to come to grips with yourself and decide this is not for you, mind over matter. All these people that have to have other chemicals to quit smoking are just not in touch with their own self and won't really quit until they realize it's all up to them. I watched my brother quit alcohol the same way I quit smoking he made up his mind and did it. I haven't had a cigarette for 34 years now and never have an urge to try one. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby angib » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 am

Joseph wrote:OK, marijuana is a LOT more profitable. But growing tobacco won't get you sent to jail... yet.

I saw a recent article in my (British) newspaper that said marijuana is now the most valuable crop in the USA (this is total $ value, not $/lb), outranking all legal crops!

Miriam C. wrote:Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit. It is a chemical addiction.

I was talking to a drug rehab nurse some years ago and she reckoned that while there were many drugs that gave a stronger craving when you stopped taking them, nicotine was the longest lasting one of all - smoke a cigarette 20 years after giving up and your body will say "I remember that - and I like it - give me more".

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 am

angib wrote:I saw a recent article in my (British) newspaper that said marijuana is now the most valuable crop in the USA (this is total $ value, not $/lb), outranking all legal crops!

Doesn't surprise me in the least. If you go back up in the Appalachian Mountains, you won't find moonshiners anymore. They're either growing dope or running meth labs.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Joseph » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:26 am

Miriam C. wrote:You are not addicted to buying, borrowing, visiting people who smoke, or any other method of getting cigeretts. Just inhaling.

That's the one thing I have in common with Bill Clinton - I don't inhale. :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby apratt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:08 pm

I have a brother, he sometimes give me some magazine to read. I have to throw the magazine somewhere and let it air out for a month before I can open it to read it. I gag if I open it right after I get it from him. He says that he don't smoke when he is reading :EXP I don't know about that. :no: (where is the vomit emoticon)
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:45 pm

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby 48Rob » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:13 pm

All these people that have to have other chemicals to quit smoking are just not in touch with their own self and won't really quit until they realize it's all up to them.

Interesting... :thinking:

Perhaps some are heavily addicted to the chemical(s) and others are merely addicted to psychological dependency of something that (they think) makes them feel good, or better.

Some people can quit after one session with a hypnotist, others struggle with gum, patches, and other chemical quit smoking aids for years.

I don't believe that there is a one answer fits all solution.

Each mind is a little stronger/weaker than the next, perhaps some can overcome through willpower alone, but I think not all.

That said, once a person comes to the realization that "they must accomplish this goal on their own" the chances of success are vastly improved.

To all who feel a need to "preach" to smokers about the dangers, please, your well meant efforts are not appreciated by the vast majority...
Perhaps such efforts were successful, and necessary in the 60's and 70's, but if anyone today does not understand the dangers after years and years of programs designed to educate the masses, what makes you think your one sided, attitude filled "you better quit now speeches" will change their mind?

I watched many friends and relatives die from smoking related illness, was preached to for years, and knew the score, but chose to smoke because it was what I wanted to do.
Smart? Perhaps not, but it is reality. :o

I gave it up after 30 years; pack a day at first, 2+ toward the end.
Tried to quit a couple times mostly because I knew I should, with no luck, but finally decided I wanted to improve my chances of living a little longer after I started having trouble breathing... :worship: :worship:

The chemical addiction was pretty darn easy to break, 2-3 days.
The physiological addiction was a bit tougher, about 2 weeks, and then lessened into obscurity over the next 6 months.

Completely changing my routine and breaking the "associated behavior" part of the addiction made quitting a LOT easier for me.

My wife, she quit after one session with the hypnotist??

The others out there who smoke? It is their choice, and doesn't bother me a bit unless they intentionally blow it in my face...but then smoking is hardly the cause of that.

Smoke for some smells bad, and for others, perfume, car fresheners, and other "odors" are as or more offensive.
We have been brainwashed into believing that if something doesn't have a "fresh" scent, it must somehow be unclean...?
You don't like smoke, I don't like being gagged by the lady that bathes in perfume, but we all live together here on this planet, and last time I looked, there was still enough room for all... :shake hands:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Betsey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:27 pm

I agree with Rob.

Smoke for some smells bad, and for others, perfume, car fresheners, and other "odors" are as or more offensive.
We have been brainwashed into believing that if something doesn't have a "fresh" scent, it must somehow be unclean...?
You don't like smoke, I don't like being gagged by the lady that bathes in perfume, but we all live together here on this planet, and last time I looked, there was still enough room for all... :shake hands:

Personally, I don't smoke. No one in my or my husband's family smokes. I am told that my dad smoked a pack a day until I was born and then quit because cigarettes went up to $.25 a pack and he could not afford/justify the cost with a young family (2 kids). He quit, cold turkey. Not everyone is able to do that. I am grateful he did quit.

I am one of those people who inherited asthma from my mother. As a result, I cannot be around people in (a closed environment) who are smoking, smell strongly of cigarette smoke, or those who wear perfume (good or bad smelling) without it seriously compromising my breathing. Heck, I even have trouble when someone fries food (like bacon) and some campfires even bother me, depending on whether or not the wood used is something to which I am allergic. As a result, there are sometimes places I cannot go, as my health will suffer. I have friends who smoke and they are very understanding of my situation.

With the exception of my home, I don't impose restrictions on others. Instead, I try to tactfully remove myself from the situation, as I don't wish to appear rude. This can be tricky. For example, when I have chosen a seat at a public gathering and someone sits next to/behind/in front of me and overwhelming smells of smoke or perfume, I have to find another seat. Not a huge deal, more of an inconvenience and perhaps a disappointment if I came early and got a really good seat. But for me, that's what I choose to do. My ability to breathe well is important to me however, I will not intentionally embarass or offend others because I am choosing to not sit by them because of their "scent."

The only time I have ever actually been angered by someone smoking in a public place happened in our local laundromat. Due to a temporary breakdown of our washer, I had to take the laundry to the laundromat. I was 3 weeks out of recovering from a serious bronchial infection. As I walked over to a washer, a man walked in front of me, exhaling his cigarette smoke right in my face. I kid you not, I ended up in the emergency room and had to have 2 breathing treatments, had to start steroids again, and eventually ended up on another round of antibiotics. Why was I angry? Because smoking was allowed in public places and his thoughtless act cost me healthwise, financially, and emotionally and he was totally clueless and could not be held responsible.

All that said, it is easy to sit and say people should stop smoking and it's that simple. What we need to remember is that we are all different and what is easy for some is not so easy for others.

Most of all, this isn't a "bad people vs. good people" thing. It's a "we are all different and we need to learn how to coexist amicably" thing. We need to learn how to get along, in spite of our differences, including smoking, wearing perfume, being the odd health case, like me, or whatever it may be.

Just my opinion....

I am now officially off my soapbox.

Betsey :)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dooner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 pm

I agree with Danny. It is mind over matter. Make your mind the strongest part of your body.

And I agree with Rob. Some minds aren't as strong as others.

Let me tell you a funny little story of addiction. I was about 12 when my parents split up. My Dad and I moved to a small town in Texas to get back with family. Well, after school every day, I would go to my Aunts grocery store and get a snack. Three Mrs. Bairds fruit pies and a chocolate milk. It went on for a long time like this. One day I arrived at the store to find that they were closed for a friends funeral (small town, everything closes). I said "Oh great." and went home. I sat watching tv and found myself having slight withdraw symptoms. I was shaking, nervous, sweaty, and ached. After that, mind over matter, I didn't have another one. I tried one recently and it tastes like crap.

On a serious note. They say marijuana is the gateway drug. You try it, you'll be addicted. Mind over matter again. I'm not really proud of it, but I did it in high school, but when I graduated, I said enough is enough and haven't touched it since. Never did lead to anything stronger. You have to make your mind the strongest part of your body.

And I am not preaching to anyone. If you want to smoke, I wish you well. May you rest in peace. Woops, was that a funny? :lol:

OK Rob, if they have the right to smoke and there is enough room for all of us on this planet, then why the hell do they have to stand and smoke right at the entrance of the Walmart? And I know everyone has the right to do what they want, but if you saw me going to kill myself, wouldn't you try to talk me out of it.

I'm glad we can all talk about this and no one get upset or offended. Remember smokers, our talk isn't out of hate, it's out of love.
Last edited by Dooner on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:48 pm

i love a good cigar with good conversation, had my last drink Feb 6 1988 and don't miss it or my behavior behind it. But theirs nothig like good friends a poker game and a fine seegar.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls