How many TDs have you built for your own use?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

One, no plans to build another.
28%
One, but planning to build a better second TD.
53%
Two TDs, I am satisfied with my second build.
3%
Three, or more... I am teardrop junky, can't get enough!
17%

Total votes : 36

Postby cuyeda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:56 pm

I will eventually build my first teardrop, and in the planning stages now. With any project built the first time, there are always lessons learned how to do it better the second time.

Not including TDs built for others... How many TDs have you built for yourself?
How many builds did it take before you settled on your keeper TD?
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:19 pm

I'm just finishing my first. Already planing my second. Light weight quick minimal assult TD.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm not quite done with my first yet. I'm sure with my schedule I won't be building another anytime soon.

But I'd like to. :twisted:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Kens » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:04 am

How many do I need? :thinking:
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:02 am

I built one. Took 2 1/2 years to do it right the first time. Because I took my time and thought everything out, made different templates and studied them before rushing forward. I ended up with a teardrop when finished, I looked at it and said: yep, I don't need to change a thing and there is nothing that I wish I had done. I have to many other things I want to do before I decide to depart this life.

You've waited this long to build your teardrop, so there is no reason to be setting a record on how fast you can build it now.

Have a good day.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:32 pm

5 done and more ideas I want to turn out.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

I especially like the small TD's (nt)

Postby cuyeda » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:16 am

I especially like the small TD's (nt) Do you make them to order. :)
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby triker45 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 am

I have built two. The second one is pretty much what I want and need, but I think I will probably build one more next winter. There are a couple of small changes I would like to make and I think building one would be easier than changing the one I have. Actually, I think Gage has the right idea. Jerry :)
triker45
Teardrop Master

Small traler comment...

Postby cuyeda » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:38 pm

The Small traler comment... was meant for Allan Geddes. I saw a small wooden model that he made that was very cute. Nice TD art! Hey Allan, when i get my teardrop built, and send you picture, could you make a model version of mine. 8)
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:03 pm

I've owned 1 original, built 2 and am on the third...I just have way too many ideas that I want to do and can't do them all on 1 tear because they overlap each other. I like the project and I've owned one back to 1980 but always liked them as a kid in the late 50's.....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Zero teardrops... but one in the works. I did build a little camping trailer... but it sure wasn't a tear. Back then I was just trying to build a box to sleep in that would hold a Kayak on top. It was uninsulated and pretty barebones... Just indoor-outdoor carpet inside, painted plywood out, no real galley... Worked pretty good for what it was. Then I rebuilt a couple small TTT's. I saw my first real tear about a year ago... Now I'm hooked.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm happy with just one, but I keep getting asked would I build another one to sell. It was fun building the first so why not do another. I have an interested party & I have some ideas I would like to try out on another TD. It keeps me busy between jobs ( self employed ) and Jane is all for it so there will be a #2 teardrop. Then we will have to decide which one to keep and which one to sell. Knowing Jane she will want to keep them both. A few months ago I realized that I had gone down this path before. In 1975 I converted my new 75 Chevy van into a carpeted , insulated van with RV table seats etc so we could go camping in. I had it custom painted & it had nice wheels. Traded it in on a Toyota Celica :hammerhead: , oh well teardrops are finer than van conversions any day. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:08 pm

Yep Danny... I also did the Chevy van thing. I customized 4 of them over about 15 years. We sure did a lot of traveling and camping in them. I think 3 dollar gas has sure killed the van idea. I was lucky enough to sell all of them for a profit. It sure made van camping a good deal for us. I think I still have a new skylight & windows for one too... Now if I just wanted to try an build a curvy teardrop I'd be set. :)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby len19070 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:36 pm

I started building Tears in the early to mid 80's. Never seeing another one until till 1997 and not having the internet till about the same time. Built solely on memories I had from seeing plans in a Magazine decades before.

Its easy to say I took my time and only built one or two, if you have had the opportunity to view literally thousands of other trailers on a form like this. And no offense intended to anyone who has.

As a result, I have built several. Some for me..some for sale. Until a few years ago when I built my SlumberCoach.

It is what I want. And I am happy with it.

Will I build another trailer, certainly probably several. There are lots of things I'd love to try. I love working in my shop and building trailers.

I tell my wife "it keeps me out of the Bars and away from Red Headed Women". (Before I get flack for that statement..Theres NOTHING wrong with Red Headed Women)

This is just how I enjoy this hobby. Some folks enjoy the drawing board fase more. Its all OK.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm

len19070 wrote:I tell my wife "it keeps me out of the Bars and away from Red Headed Women". (Before I get flack for that statement..Theres NOTHING wrong with Red Headed Women)

Obviously since you need teardrops to stay away from them. 8)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls