Hardtime For Building Tear?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:51 pm

I don't recall any nay sayers, just some whys and whatisit's. The only other folks that saw it during construction thought it was cool and just wanted to see it done. Of course there weren't a lot of time for anyone to see it built in my 2 week build window!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:28 am

The funny thing is, any project like this turns into a "little red hen" story...I caught so much grief when I started a boat it was unbelievable..you can imagine...Titanic, Noahs Arc, Exxon Valdez..etc....then when it was finished everyone wanted to know when we were going out in it? and after the first one...I caught it again on the 2nd...same thing on the tears...now they know better...now it's..."do you think you could help me out on one?"....Just build what you want to the best of your abilities and vision and let the naysayers wish! When they get serious about it, you'll know...then help them out. If they perceive you as a chuckle head, as is my case, you'll catch more grief!! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jplock » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:11 pm

My 20 year old son has already took claim to ours after we graduate to Heaven! The boy in the blue in the picture below is my son who is now 20 years old.
jplock
:) :) :)

P.S.
My Father in law was about 7 years into the 10 year build of his wooden homebuilt airplane that he built and designed, one day had a fellow come to his shop after looking a few minutes he said " not much to it is there". Little did he know!

Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:05 pm

I got the same response from some of the folk I know...

Now they are impressed as hell!!!

You go do it, Just do it!!! And let them eat cake!!!!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby poco-uno » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:03 am

I sold my first TD to the guy that laughed about it the most he wouldn't part with it for anything now. :thumbsup:
poco-uno
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:10 am

I just saw a segment about people selling it all, and taking off down the road with their house on wheels with granite counter tops...

Not for me.. As I've mentioned several times, I gave up camping on the ground and mostly camping in my van, but when I saw my first t/d trailer, I said "that's for me".... it was like a light bulb turned on...

I was building it in my driveway on nice days (I'd just roll it out), and became the topic of discussion in my small town.. even had a few people just come and watch me work..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Hardtime For Building Tear?

Postby Joanne » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 pm

Yep, but they aren't laughing now. Well, actually they are. But they aren't laughing at the trailer though, they are laughing at how long it's taken me to build it. :lol:

If you read this forum for a while you will start to hear stories about folks who pull into a campground only to be swamped by people wanting to see the "cute little trailer". Folks will walk right by a million dollar motorhome to see a $5k teardrop.

Build it! You'll be smiling and they'll be eating crow.

Joanne

Kit76 wrote:I'm About to Start Building A Tear And Everyone I Know Seems To Be Making Fun Of Me, Ecspecially My In-Laws(Imagine That) Did Anyone Have This Problem?

Chris
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby martha24 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 am

No one has given us a hard time at all, most are very interested in what we are doing. In fact because of our build, that still has a long, long way to go, my brother-in-law decided to build one too and “remodeled” an old utility trailer frame he had sitting in his yard. The hope is that we can go on some trips together. He is still deciding how exactly he wants to build his. My dad, 89, started thinking about people he knew who had little trailers or teardrops years ago and was telling us some stories. Though there are a few who think us a little crazy, but then they thought that before we started building. ;)
Martha
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Caradoc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 am

I'm still trying to finish up a house remodeling project, but I'm itching to get started on my teardrop. As soon as I ran into this idea about a year ago (this forum really helped!), it all instantly made since, and I knew that this would be my next project. My wife, on the other hand, is not quite as convenced, and just has it marked off as another of my projects.

Now that spring is comming around, I understand there are more teardrop gatherings. I just read about the one on Lake Shasta, CA in May, which isn't too far away from me. I'll have to stop by with my wife for a day and talk to some people there.

This forum has been great! Thanks for the help so far. I've got the trailer frame done, and I'm ready to start with the floor. Oh yeah, right after I get the closets done like I promised. :)

--Lance
Caradoc
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hardtime For Building Tear?

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:40 am

Kit76 wrote:I'm About to Start Building A Tear And Everyone I Know Seems To Be Making Fun Of Me, Ecspecially My In-Laws(Imagine That) Did Anyone Have This Problem?

Not exactly...
I've been made fun of because how long it's taking.
Becoming frustrated myself, knowing that gathering time is just around the corner... I got lucky and was able to buy someone else's abandoned project, which is a much more simplified build than my own. With what little time I'll have to work on it, I WILL have my own tear at the 14th Dam gathering in May.
My advice is to be sure you comitt to a design first before making any serious sawdust... One thing that really slowed my progress has been changing paddles in the middle of the stream.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Previous

Return to User Polls