If I could only have that car (or truck) back ......

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby Sam I am » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:06 pm

My first two cars were convertibles - a 1965 Corvair and a 1967 Mustang. After I got married in 1971, I bought practical cars - hatchbacks, and station wagons. But then, in 1987 I longed for a convertible, and a friend steered me to a 1964 Valiant Signet 200 convertible that was for sale by the original owner, a retired professor at Penn State. I bought it and kept it till 1994, when I sold it because it needed body work, a new top, and an engine rebuild (156K miles), none of which I could afford with a wife and kids. I loved that car! It had a 273 V8 and push button automatic transmission. Image
The former owner had a full tonneau cover made for it, since he lived in San Diego, CA, and could leave the top down all summer and park it with the tonneau cover zipped up. Look under the rear bumper - a trailer hitch! It would have made the perfect tow for a teardrop if I had it now! Dang, I wish I had kept it! The pic was taken in 1991 at a car cruise event in Bellefonte, PA.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:21 am

I wish I still had my 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4WD, 4dr, 4.0 in-line 6, manual transmission... It was my first Jeep... I loved driving it... bought my current (TTT) cargo trailer to tow around with it...

I drove it 7 years before I gave it to my son when he was a junior in high school, told him not to drive too fast on the dirt roads, he apparently did not listen. He was late from work to football practice, he lost control going over a hill and flipped it end-over-end. The collison made the Jeep 2 feet shorter (length-wise) & 2 feet taller when he flipped it. Popped the transmission right out of it, busted out all the windows, it looked like it was hit by a train. I'm amazed that he did not get hurt. Just one abrasion from the should strap that kept him in the seat. Good thing he listened about wearing seat belts or he would probably not be here today. Thank God for seat belts!

I really miss that Jeep! Had 3 others since, all Grand Cherokees... they are nice but not as much fun as my first Jeep... I really miss the manual transmission...
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

da cuda

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:33 am

a 1974 Plymouth 'cuda. It was the car i had in high school,first date was in that car. Lots of drive ins and steamy windows. I cried when i had to sell it. Too many tickets also.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Mike C. » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:26 pm

1971 Chevelle SS 454, oh my what fun. And what a gas hog, 8 miles to the gallon. But then gas was .20 to .25 per gallon. :thumbsup: God I miss those days.
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby sushidog » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:16 pm

caseydog wrote:1. My first car, a 1973 Pontiac GTO. Not one of the collectible years, but I liked the way it looked. It was a mess when I got it handed down to me, but I restored it with every spare nickle and minute I had. Like most old muscle cars, it was quick, but had terrible brakes and floated like a boat at high speeds. But, I'd still like to have it back.

CD

My first car was also a 73 goat. I had a red one that I bought new. :)

She was a dog from the factory (compared to some earlier GTOs) but with a little work I was able to about double the stock HP from her 350 v8.
Yeah, she's hunt around a lot around 120mph, but she settled down above that and was rock solid at 160+.

In my young and foolish days, I towed a trailer with her once at 120mph without incident. That was scary!

I still miss her. Your first love is usually your deepest. :crying1:

By the way, stock vs. stock, my current 4cyl automatic Cobalt was 1 full sec quicker in the 1/4 mile than my v8 goat. Plus, it gets better than twice the gas mileage of my old flame. Times change.
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeepr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:05 am

several.....

64 Beetle...

67 Ford Galaxy 500 4dr..

64 Jeep CJ5 Tuxedo Park model..

I had several more that I would like back, but those stand out.. :lol:
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby moto403 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:30 pm

I have got easier than all of you. Because i have yet to own a car that would be worth missing. I'm to young to have owned a cool car.
!st 1983 ford ranger shortbed
2nd 1984 toyota supra (loved the way it handled)
3rd 1985 ford ranger longbed
4th 1986 pontiac 6000
5th 1988 olds calais (best runner of all had 230,000 when the timing gear blew)
6th 1985 chevy sierra
7th 1992 ford explorer (P.O.S 3 transmissions traded in for current ride)
8th 1998 pontiac montanna (been a very good vehicle and gets 25 mpg)
1999 ford f150 ( been good so far except i go through brakes)
moto403
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:24 pm

1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Fury:

Got my first handjob in there.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby elmo » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Ira wrote:1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Fury:

Way too much info....
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:02 pm

elmo wrote:
Ira wrote:1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Fury:

Way too much info....

More happened, but I consciously DIDN'T want to give you too much info!

I thought that alone would suffice to set the scene.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby teardropsleeper » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Gone
Last edited by teardropsleeper on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teardropsleeper
Teardrop Advisor

this will start some

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:38 pm

teardropsleeper wrote:I've had many cars from Fords,Mopar,Dodge and Chevrolet but this is the best one and I still have it.

:twisted:

I thought that Mopars were Dodges, back in the day. And how could you even think about including Fords in the same sentance as Mopars and Chevys. :D
P.S. that is a nice 'pala
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Previous

Return to User Polls