How many people own their own business? And what is it?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Do you own your own business, and what is it?

Dou you love it?
11%
Do you hate it?
No votes
Like being my own boss.
29%
Like being my own boss, but hate the hours
23%
The rewards are greater than the cons.
20%
Anything else you might have to say..
17%

Total votes : 35

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 am

Had my own lawn care service for 2 1/2 years until I lost my bookeepper bed partner and best friend wife #2. A few years later started a very lucrative auto repair shop with a best friend who was a ace mechanic. He fell in love with a coke queen and couldn't show up for work so I sold him my half and bailed. Now as my safety valve I work as 2nd in command to the owner of a prefabricated wall panel plant. We preframe custom homes health care centers apartment building and any other type of wood framed projects. I have maintained Skinny's Mini's for the past decade as a hobby business. Custom designed and built on site mini barns , decks and out buildings. A small portion of my babies are in my album.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby prohandyman » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Have been in business for myself for many years. Home repair and woodworking/custom cabinets. work alone most of the time - don't have to worry about employees that don't show up or can't perform up to par.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Keith B » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 am

"Boss commanding me job is necessary for insurance, etc."
"Farming and remodels" are for enjoyment.... 30 years ago a fella could do farming alone, it's almost impossible now-a-days unless you own 50,000 acres - or have a wife who's bringin home some bacon and insurnace for you...

Use to frame homes, etc., got out of that - got tired of training people only to have them stick around for 1-2 years...but to be expected in that atmosphere - thus I do remodels now, something I can do 90% of by myself.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:11 pm

I have been self employed since I was 20. I opened an unfinished furniture store, which led to a custom wood working business. Had both for 22 years and sold out to an employee. They always know more then the boss anyway. My wife and I also own a guest house in Galena IL. This is where I now run my own custom cabinet business as well. Oh Yea, I have been a part time antique dealer for the last 18 years also. My wife says I am unable to take orders from anyone, so I have to work for myself. It's been a great ride.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 pm

I have been self-employed at least half of my post-college years, as an Art Director and Photogrpher.

I currently have a pretty good gig with a magazine that takes up most of my time, but still have my own business, and do design and photo work for advertising and other magazines.

I like being self employed, but it has it's downside, too. At least I have a regular income right now to keep my cash-flow steady.

I'm trying to simplify my life and ease out of the consumerism we Americans are so fond of, so I can work as much, or as little, as I want. In a creative field, it's nice to be in a position to pick and choose your work, because being in a position where you have to take jobs you really don't want to take because you need the money sux.

Being a Cancer survivor, I wouldn't mind being self employed in Canada, LOL. I shell out a good portion of my income for my VERY high deductible health insurance plan. Even if I take a full-time job working for someone else, I'd have to have my own insurance.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:33 pm

caseydog wrote:Being a Cancer survivor, I wouldn't mind being self employed in Canada, LOL. I shell out a good portion of my income for my VERY high deductible health insurance plan. Even if I take a full-time job working for someone else, I'd have to have my own insurance.

There are good points and bad points. When my mother-in-law was in ICU, there were some folks from Canada in the waiting room with us. They were suprised how fast things were done. This is just what they told us though, I don't have any other experience with their system.

My guess is that since it's state run, there is paperwork and bureaucracy to deal with.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby caseydog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:33 pm

asianflava wrote:"You are only one major illness away from bankruptcy."
Don't know who said it but it is so true.

Went to the Doctor on Thursday. Had surgery on Friday. Started Radiation two weeks later. By the end of the first month, I had over ten-grand in out-of-pocket expenses -- and I have health insurance.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 am

The main reason I keep my regular job is insurance. My company pays 100% for my whole family (health, vision and dental). And no matter what it is, it only costs me $5.
I'm very lucky to have such good (and free) insurance. And, they pay me well to check this site. :shhh:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby caseydog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:30 am

bledsoe3 wrote:And, they pay me well to check this site. :shhh:

For a low monthly fee, your secret is safe with me. :twisted:

CD ;)

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 am

I'm into my 12th year as a glazing contractor...
Considering not taking on anymore jobs, getting caught up and then going to work for someone else. Funny... I say that every year, right before tax time. (I'll get over it)
It would sure be nice to have more free time...
Weekends off working for somebody else is sounding REAL good... :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Arne » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:42 am

Before heading out on my own, I checked my health insurance out real closely.. as mentioned, my employer, who was very benevolent at the time (a lot has gone away since '95).. they would continue to pay 75% of my health insurance.. and the clincher was, a $3k/year cap on my out-of-pocket.... which continues to this day. I'm one of the lucky ones, I'd say.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:52 pm

My company has a policy that if your age + time in service = 75years then they will pay your medical. Whoo Hoo! only 12 more years to go!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:11 pm

The wife and I just started our own embroidery company about a month ago. So far it just seems like fun not work although we do the work after 9:00 pm when the kids go to bed, makes for late nights.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:56 am

I've been self employed for 26 years in August, this year. Brick paving and landscaping. It's been a fun ride all the way. The only difference today is that it hurts a little longer :lol:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue May 22, 2007 2:00 am

I have always worked for someone else and done freelance photography on the side sence 1979.

I do photography for a while then quit ... I was never good a billing folks... one day my cousin who has been a freelance Geologist most of his life... said one day he had that problem too. until he bagan to starve ... now he has no problem with billing them.

I have only worked with film ..... done very little digital stuff.... now I must learn to do it all over again. but 650 bucks for photoshop floored me....
I have a small digital that does not do much. the Net has opened whole new world for me..... I have no problem shotting the shot ... it is the prosessing that gets me. I use to dip it in solutions now I will not even get the peace and quite of a darkroom.

Once I get it down I may never look back again.... I have been a freelance Theatre photographer, non profit photographer for canine companians and united way, meetings and special events photographer (the hand shacking shots ). Funny because my training is in Photoinstrumentation, industrial, & medicial photography. and missed my associate degree in photography twice each by 3 units. and now may have to go back one more time to learn this digital stuff.

So once I firgure out this byte stuff and using this new kind of enlarger ... reducer stuff I can fly. I have a MacBook for starts.

And will soon return to freelancing once again. Shooting more shots then ever before. they say the newest I pod can store 25,000 pictures.
To think...
I use to shoot 100 pictures in a theatre shoot. 3 rolls of 36 exp. black & white. and 1 in color slide.

my answer is: freelance photographer (part time) 30 yrs
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls