Benroy or Cub rear end for galley?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Would you prefer a Benroy or a Cub galley end?

Benroy
82%
Cub
18%

Total votes : 11

Benroy or Cub rear end for galley?

Postby Esteban » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:45 am

I'm favoring two designs for building a 5'x10' Tear Drop. The first design is the Cub because it's rounded lines look good to me. The second one is the Benroy because it's spacious and probably easier to build.

My first design criteria is to have room for a queen sized mattress, as I'm 6'4". Both designs work for a 10', or so, long TD.

The second most important criteria is to have a good galley. The roundedness of a Cub design, if it's the same length as a Benroy, will leave less usable depth for a galley, especially room under the counter.

With a Benroy, I can easily design it with about 7 feet for the sleeping area, leaving about 30" of usable depth, under the counter top, for ice chest storage...enough room to store it on a 28-30" deep a sliding shelf. This would leave the most room, about 40", for the stove and drawers below the counter.

On a Cub design, with the same sleeping area, there'd be just enough under counter depth to store an ice chest sideways on an 18" deep sliding drawer with it's 28-30" width parallel to the counter. There'd be less room left, about 30", for the stove and under counter storage.

I'll add that my present tow vehicle is a 6 cyl. 1998 Chrysler Concorde with a 1500 lb. tow capacity. A 5'x10' tear drop, fully loaded with camping gear, will be close to the cars weight limit. I plan to build upon a custom built frame that's about 60-62" wide and about 9-10' long depending on the final design chosen.

I'd appreciate your ideas on which design to build, a Cub or Benroy, please?
Last edited by Esteban on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:52 am

If the galley is important along with storage, the Benroy is the way to go. It will also give more upper cabinet space.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:20 am

Your the one who has to live with it when it is finished. Build it the way you think you'll be happy with in the end. Because if it was up to me to give you that type of direction. I would tell you to dump both designs and build a 5 x 10 Kenskill. Most every one has thier own idea for a perfect galley. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to User Polls