What's the best axle to use?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Which is best, a spring axle or a torsion axle?

A spring axle is best
20%
A spring axle, with shock absorbers, is best
13%
A torsion axle is best
67%
There another choice that's best
No votes

Total votes : 15

What's the best axle to use?

Postby Esteban » Fri May 11, 2007 11:31 am

What in your opinion, or experience, is the best kind of axle to use for a teardrop. Would the best one be a spring axle, a spring axle with shock absorbers, or a torsion axle? Considerations I have in mind are the ride, cost, ability to get the hub to hub measurement you prefer, track width, and the ease of getting fenders that fit well. It seems a spring axle can have a narrower hub to hub distance than a torsion axle for the same size frame. This narrows the wheels track and may make it easier to use stock fenders...instead of wider, more costly, harder to find fenders. I'm a :NC newbie looking for information to help choose the best kind of axle to use with a frame that will be custom built.

:) As always :pictures: photos and your :thinking: thoughts are :thumbsup: encouraged and :applause: very much appreciated.
Last edited by Esteban on Sat May 12, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri May 11, 2007 1:05 pm

I like the smooth independent axle ride on a torsion axle. Also I notice that the tear leans into a turn instead of going flat in a turn. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby john » Fri May 11, 2007 10:34 pm

If a live axle works on the back of my truck it should work on the trailer.

No one rides in it.

I like a simple fix on the road.

They look the same from my yard... unless I look under it....then I am not in my yard.

Springs for me. :)
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby jplock » Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 pm

I don't know that it is the best but, I used solid axle springs and shocks. This setup was chosen because it might be easier repaired on the road should there be a problem, and parts are readily available. Also the shocks were added later because the eggs got scrambled in the ice chest on the Oklahoma Indian Nations Turnpike! The Last campout the TD was towed 250 miles to Dallas Tx and no eggs broke.

Picture of shock mounting

jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 pm

...first, I REALLY like torsion axles and will continue to use them on furture builds....However, a spring axle is cheaper/simpler and with the right spring rates and shocks can meet or beat a torsion axle's ride...a low ride look is somewhat easier to attain with a torsion axle...yes, it would certainly be easier to find parts for a spring axle(other than bearings and seals)...of course, I have never heard of a modern torsion axle breaking either....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to User Polls