Door Size

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:16 pm

The bottom of the door should be half way up the mattress. That way you don't cut off the circulation in your legs when you are sitting in the doorway.

mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Sam I am » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 pm

My door is 28" x 42" with the top curved to match the roof. The mattress comes out through a removeable panel in the galley wall. So far, I haven't whacked my head on the doorway!
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:56 am

I had to raise my floor 2" to get rid of my little fender bumps ( in album) and it was a good thing the mattress is now about 1/2 exposed when the door is open. If you set down to get in its a lot easier on the butt bone than setting on just the edge of the wall. My opinion 1/2 the depth of your mattress.

:D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jeepr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:52 pm

57plymouth wrote:Shouldn't the door be big enough to get the matress in?

Oh Poo! :lol:
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Design the doors location and the doors hight and width to fit you. and Your habits and those who may be camping with you.

study you habits getting out of bed to getting out of the car. notice if you have room for your hands your head room and the size of others that sleep with you. I will have to put a pad at the top of my door inside and maybe out I am tall but the door is just right for me to sit up and swing out with out any ajustments.

Ron D. :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:44 am

Ron Dickey wrote:Design the doors location and the doors hight and width to fit you. and Your habits and those who may be camping with you.

study you habits getting out of bed to getting out of the car. notice if you have room for your hands your head room and the size of others that sleep with you. I will have to put a pad at the top of my door inside and maybe out I am tall but the door is just right for me to sit up and swing out with out any ajustments.

Ron D. :thumbsup:

DOOR ACCESSORIES

When installing the spars that center over the door openings I added 2 additional 2x2 to the existing one and glued and screwed them together to act as one member. I then installed a 24" handicap bathroom grab bar. With old legs and bad knees it is great to be able to be able to have the grab bar within easy reach to steady ones self as you climb in. On our Florida trip we also found it handy as a closet rod for hanging dress clothes from while in transit.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tomsglr » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 am

My doors are 24"x44". I used interior hollow doors and when bought them I was also getting plywood at the same time. For some reason I thought they were 8' tall and I could get two doors out of one. If I had just made them a few inches shorter, that would have worked. I also have a panel in the galley that lifts out to slide the air mattress in. I didn't really want rounded doors but I don't think hollow doors would have worked for that.
Tom
tomsglr
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to User Polls