Cast Iron Waffle Irons.

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How many do you have?

None
44%
Will have one soon
17%
One
27%
Two
6%
Three
2%
Four
4%

Total votes : 52

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 am

pgwilli wrote:O.K. I paid attention this time.
Put in a bid on a Heart n Star Griswold.
17 seconds to go I was winning....hit refresh...auction closed and outbid by 56 cents!!!
I will never bid on e-bay again :x

Paul,
I've lost count how many times I said that...
I do remember the first time I said that though...
It was when the very first thing I bought on Ebay showed up...
(Those fake bagpipes shipped from the other side of the pond)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:16 am

pgwilli wrote:I'm working on it. Jeez, I hate e-bay. I alway get out bid at the last minute by somebody who knows how to pay attention.
Since I became a believer at the Dam and Mendo, (thanks Joanie, Doug, Kev, Dean...), I wish I had been paying attention at the huge swap meet I was at Memorial day... :DOH2:

Here's the answer (and prolly why you are getting outbid): http://www.auction-sentry.com/

Trust me... It's the only way to play the ebay game! ;)
And, you don't have to sit around and watch the auction
trying to out bid them at the last minute. It's worth the money.
Just think... You'll never lose another auction!
(unless you go up against me!) :twisted:
I win most bids when I'm not even home. :lol:
PS: I just won a KIPOR 2000 Watt digital inverter generator for $380. :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Kevin A » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:26 am

Podunkfla wrote:
pgwilli wrote:I'm working on it. Jeez, I hate e-bay. I alway get out bid at the last minute by somebody who knows how to pay attention.
Since I became a believer at the Dam and Mendo, (thanks Joanie, Doug, Kev, Dean...), I wish I had been paying attention at the huge swap meet I was at Memorial day... :DOH2:

Here's the answer (and prolly why you are getting outbid): http://www.auction-sentry.com/

Trust me... It's the only way to play the ebay game! ;)
And, you don't have to sit around and watch the auction
trying to out bid them at the last minute. It's worth the money.
Just think... You'll never lose another auction!
(unless you go up against me!) :twisted:
I win most bids when I'm not even home. :lol:
PS: I just won a KIPOR 2000 Watt digital inverter generator for $380. :thumbsup:

Yeah? But do you have a waffle iron? ;) 8)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:33 am

Of course he does... or will very shortly.
He's the guy that just sniped Paul. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Kevin A » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Of course he does... or will very shortly.
He's the guy that just sniped Paul. :lol:

Now, that's just not right. :lol:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby pgwilli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:35 am

You guys crack me up :lol:

Thanks for the tip on the auction-sentry Brick. Steve T sent me his strategy to do the same thing without the software.
I likely won't get the software. If I did I'd just start buying things and I already don't have enough room around here!

I did find an online antique dealer and bought a "Heart Shaped Rosette" waffle iron...no bidding, just lay yur money down. (it was a lot less than the one Brick,'er someone, sniped out from under my nose).
:thumbsup:
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Sniping is the only way to go. Snipe services are nice, I used one for probably 9 years. It worked great early on but people got hip to them.

A nice manual snipe is fun to do, it is a test of nerve. Open the auction up in 2 windows, your bid in on one window with one click to go and just refersh the other window to watch the clock. When you get a feel of how long it takes to refresh, click the "Place Bid" button on the other screen right before you think the auction will end.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 pm

asianflava wrote:A nice manual snipe is fun to do, it is a test of nerve. Open the auction up in 2 windows, your bid in on one window with one click to go and just refersh the other window to watch the clock. When you get a feel of how long it takes to refresh, click the "Place Bid" button on the other screen right before you think the auction will end.

Never thought to do it that way, I usually just watch the second hand on my clock but I will give this a try. :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 pm

I take one of my cooking timers and get it alligned right to the second with the auction timer...
I sync. at the moment I hit the refresh button, not by how long it takes to refresh...
I've bid with one second remaining, but usually like to bid between 2 and 5 seconds, just to be safe.
I'll bid what I feel is the max amount I wanna spend.
Most of the time I win, sometimes I scratch my head in disbelief at what some people are willing to pay.
Most of the time, my winning bid is much less than what my maximum amount was and it makes me feel like I got a deal...
But sometimes... snipers do shoot the price way up in the last couple of seconds.
Those are the ones that the head scratching comes into play, or I say to myself, "I could've got it for X amount less if that turkey wouldn't have bid with one or two seconds to go..."
This method works good for me, especially that I'm on a slow dialup... 28.8 max speed.
Two dumb things not to do...
1. Forget to go to confirm bid page (After the place bid page) when bidding with only a few seconds left. (Did that once)
2. Place a ridiculess amount, just to beat the guy that's been sniping you on a regular basis. (Not telling)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:08 pm

I do somewhat like you do Dean but being on high speed I can fire off new bids really fast. The waffle iron I was after yesterday, I was head to head with someone and a new guy jumped in with $81 + shipping and I let him have it :lol: . Got to watch yourself in the heat of a bidding war that emotions of winning don't overtake a reasonable price for the item, so far I've kept my head. There's a pile of them up for bid in the next 6 days so I'll keep trying for my price range. One question, has anyone had any problems burning while baking with charcoal on the low rings? :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Danny,
Kevin's old book enightened me to what the two different height bases were originally made for...
It says the high bases were for gas stove tops and the low bases were for wood fired stoves...
Tends to lead me to believe that a low base would be the suitable choice for briquettes, but... I haven't tried briquettes yet and don't have a low base on any of 'em 'cept that salesman's sample mini...
Joanne has tried the briquette thing and made a great observation that the base needs to be elevated so air can flow under it to keep the briquettes from going out...

Good comment about keeping your head in the heat of battle and not letting emotions dictate your bid...
Speaking of that... Anybody getting beat on waffle irons by a guy named fredfred56???
For ya'll's sake, I sure hope he's had his fill of waffle irons by now, or has run out of money...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:38 pm

do you have a waffle iron?

Yep... got it off ebay for $15. about 9 months ago. :thumbsup:

asianflava wrote:

A nice manual snipe is fun to do, it is a test of nerve. Open the auction up in 2 windows, your bid in on one window with one click to go and just refersh the other window to watch the clock. When you get a feel of how long it takes to refresh, click the "Place Bid" button on the other screen right before you think the auction will end.

Never thought to do it that way, I usually just watch the second hand on my clock but I will give this a try.

That will certainly work... up to a point. Although, It's hard to beat a sniper with a fast PC, on a super fast connection, with the best sniper software (me). I often win bids with one or two seconds to spare... which generally beats even other snipers. ;)
(I haven't been beat (so far) in 2+ years and 125 auctions I've won... using AuctionSentry, unless it went over my top bid amount).
Hey... they made the rules. I'm just playing the game to the best of my ability! :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 pm

The good thing about sniping (for me anyway) is that once I place my bid, Either I get it or I don't . No second guessing myself, "Maybe I should go higher?" That usually prices it higher than what I wanted to pay in the first place.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby apratt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:49 pm

There is a rental place near me that has about 8 different waffle irons for sale. I picked one out it was a 'american griswold' and it didn't have the orginal wooden handles but when I asked how much they wanted for it ZOWWIE they wanted 75 dollars for it!!! I let them keep it. Lodge has them for 19 dollars, I'll check them out. :(
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:11 pm

Here's a Texsport waffle iron it's made in china but $23.28 + shipping is a lot cheaper than an antique, comes with a low stand. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls