I've been thinking about Suicide...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Should I suicide my doors?...

Yes
35%
No
60%
Other (See below...)
4%

Total votes : 48

I've been thinking about Suicide...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:24 pm

No... Not that!!! :shock:
Suiciding the doors on Little Feather... 8)

Two reasons...
1. Makes for easier exit from the tear. :thumbsup:
2. The Cool Factor. :thumbsup:

I know it's been discussed before and if memory serves me correctly, the majority of builders were against it.
I think Grant might have suicided the doors on his first build... But don't quote me on that.

Two issues...
1. It's gonna take a little extra work, getting a highway speed seal against leaks and I've got that figured out...
2. Doors coming open during transit... I haven't made any commitemt as of yet, but I'm looking at the use of additional security locks...

So Whadya think???
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby SteveH » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Dean,

I've never like suicide doors, so I voted no. I know some people like them, and think they are cool, but IMHO they just are an accident waiting for a place to happen. Don't think a door handle stuck thru the side of the trailer and a door ripped off laying in the ditch is too "cool". :) :roll: ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Dean,
I think the poll's running about 3 to 1 in favor.
I vote yes, because I think you need to build what you want.
I'd also suggest that you seriously consider slipping some substantial inner wall material into place around the jamb in case you alter your design after use.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Hows that going to work with your fender idea? and I don't understand how it makes it any easier getting in and out of it...the door handle would be up by your head, not down at the end of your arms length. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kens » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Yah what Doug said.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 pm

The door handle will be closer to my shoulder than my neck and all I'll have to do is reach up with my forearm and grab the handle...
I did some tests laying in the tear, might be with what's going on with the shoulder... but it was much easier exiting with the door suicided.
The fender won't allow the door to open 180 degrees as it would in the conventional handing, it'll be somewhere around 105-110 degrees... Still more than 90. I'll be able to work a door stop onto the fender, just as easy as the wall if the door was handed the other way.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Re: I've been thinking about Suicide...

Postby Betsey » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:2. Doors coming open during transit... I haven't made any commitemt as of yet, but I'm looking at the use of additional security locks...

Dean,

Craig suggested this (It may be what you were already thinking of doing.):

You could use 2 of the standard inside locks and stack them. That way if one came loose/open the other would still catch. You would still only have one handle inside and one outside but the shaft would go through both locks. You would also need to remove one spring so the handle would be easier to turn.

Betsey :)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:22 pm

I voted no. I figure you would have limited opening angle because of the fender, allowing maybe 100 degrees. My doors will open 180degrees to the opening.

As far as the weather seal, I'm convinced that no matter what you do, it will leak, especially when driving thru a downpour.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Betsey,
Newp... Hadn't thought of that one.
That sounds like an interesting method... :thinking:
I've been looking at different types of concealed flush bolts and some cam locks.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby S.A.Mike » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Hey Dean how about "french" doors! :thumbsup:
Mike
S.A.Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S.A.Mike » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Front laps over the rear would air pressure help hold it water tight?
S.A.Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Last gathering I went to in July one door came open while turning a corner. we were in a caravan and in the excitement I didn't get the door shut properly. I'm always careful to shut everything tight but since these tears are so airtight it's only a matter of time when a door you thought was shut tight flies open and suicides against a solid object. My door is just fine, just shook me up a little. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Mike in San Antonio,
TDN actually suggested that a few weeks back...
I thought about it and it would be very doable applying an astrical onto the door closest to the front of the trailer, but I'd have to change the design for the wood sash awning windows...
I then asked her what she thought about a Dutch door setup, so the window could remain unchanged, but she didn't like the idea of dutch doors...

Thanks all for the comments... Please keep 'em coming.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby dguff » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:26 pm

I think it could look good but I am skeptical that you could make the opening watertight while driving in the rain.

Jerome :thinking:
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:38 pm

Dean...it might be an idea to mock up a fender in cardboard and attach it to the side...then mock up a door and figure just how much opening you can get...I'd bet you'd want to put a restraint strap on it so that it didn't get into the fender rather than a bumper on either the door or the fender. Something else to think about...when you have any sort of side tent attachment, the door is going to be taking up space in that area also.

I'm all for innovative/different/cutting edge ideas and you'll do what you want and I'm sure it'll turn out fine...but if you're not wanting to create a whole lot of extra work for yourself, double latches, sealing etc...a conventional door might be a better bet. Maybe door placement would help out on your situation.

There's gotta be a reason Detroit went away from them on 2 door cars in the 30's...kinda makes ya think...why do they call them "suicide" doors, and yes I know, it's a different situation. A conventional door may pop open, but the air flow will sort of keep it tight to the body...a suicide door will only catch wind and flop against the side of the trailer, it's a mandatory stop right now...just my opinion however... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to User Polls