Trailer Plans

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Trailer Plans

A "canned ham" version - such as a Scotty
20%
A small trailer version - such as a Scamp
2%
A 5' x 8' or 10' teardrop version
37%
A QUICK build tiny trailer
17%
Build a teardrop for under $$
7%
Large trailer, say 6' x 15' and over
7%
None of the above, please explain!!!
10%

Total votes : 41

Trailer Plans

Postby beverlyt » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:31 am

There are some very detailed plans out there on building a 4'x8' Cubby or 4'x10' Comet by KuffleCreek.

I've often wished SOMEONE had such a set of detailed plans in a larger type TINY TRAILER.

IF you could buy a set of really detailed plans for a Tiny Trailer, what sort of trailer would you be looking for?

IF NONE OF THE ABOVE...WHAT WOULD YOU BE LOOKING FOR?
Last edited by beverlyt on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Re: Trailer Plans

Postby Joseph » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:01 am

Hey Bev,
beverlyt wrote:IF you could buy a set of really detailed plans for a Tiny Trailer, what sort of trailer would you be looking for?

Well, I had resigned myself to designing my own canned ham until I bought the Scotty. It really shouldn't be that hard: if you can do galley cabinetry you can do the same inside a TTT. Seats and a dinette table should be simple enough. Making drawers in the galley (if you want them) might be a trick - I like the way the Scotty's are made so that they won't slide out when travelling but don't need a latch - you simply lift up and pull.

My one concern with the Scotty cabinetry is that it's very thin plywood attached to the 1/2" plywood walls and (hopefully) to the ceiling joists behind the 1/4" Masonite ceiling. I'm sure it won't take a lot of weight, particularly when bouncing down the road.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:54 am

5 x 11 (Right Now)
Will go back down to 5 x 10.5 or even 10 if I can find the right microwave or just scrap the microwave oven thing all together.
(5 is interior width)

Edited 1-29-05:
Sorry Bev,
I didn't see earlier that you were talking about buying plans.
I did my own plans, so I guess I shouldn't have even posted or voted. :oops:
To keep your poll accurate, subtract one "other" vote.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Chip » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:50 am

When I got interested in these darn things, I found things I liked and then found more I liked and changed my mind so many times I could have not followed a set of plans. Every time I look at another trailer I see something I really like and would like to incorporate into a design, For some builders I am sure detailed directions work best but for me I used a number of resources to come up with a final product, and even now there are things I would like to change.

As far as designs I would like to see: using materials that are ultra light weight and maybe a bit unconventional,, say laminated honeycomb panels, unibody frame/box, basically a rethink of a standard shape but using new or different materials. think totally out of the box.

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AmyH » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:29 am

I would love to see detailed plans for building something like a Scotty. I also love Andrew's drawings of the Compact and the Dinette, and would love to see some detailed instructions for building something along those lines as well.

Amy :)
Last edited by AmyH on Wed May 25, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby hammer & tongs » Tue May 24, 2005 10:34 pm

Nearing completion of my first one...but you know how it goes..

I am considering for a second one...perhaps something like Mikes angular weekender..finished in camo and called "Sportsman's lodge" or some such outdoorsy name.

Probably 5' wide..

I have some special plans for the interior..
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Camp-Inn Clone

Postby dtrdwngfn » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:36 pm

The guys at Camp-Inn are geniuses. I was looking for a tear with enough room for two adults and two children my oldest is four. I couldn't come up with a design until I saw the Raindrop from Camp-Inn. That is the design I am going with. Mine is being built on a Caravan axle so my width is 52" and 10 feet long.
dtrdwngfn
Teardrop Inspector

Return to User Polls