Why a TD?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Why a TD?

What else do you put behind a vintage auto?
4%
Thought they were cute.
8%
Needed some thing small / just didn’t need the space
36%
Wanted to build my own camper
30%
Parents had one so I got one to.
1%
Loved the history behind it.
5%
Other let us know.
16%

Total votes : 207

Postby Senior Ninja » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 pm

So many reasons, great way to move from work to retirement, from married to single, to never have to sleep in a tent again, and best of all to be with my friend for days and months on end working on the trailer.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Had to vote for "Other".

I was planning a 2 week long road trip for the girlfriend (now ex) and I. The trip involved 2 or 3 nights in one spot, then on to the next. Well when planning something like this, theres no telling what the weather was going to be like. I HATE packing up wet gear. What I hate even more, is unpacking wet gear and having to sleep in it.

A teardrop was the perfect solution. Decided what I wanted and built it. Mine truly is a hard-sided tent that I don't have to worry about packing up wet!

Didnt work out with the girlfriend, so now all I have to worry about is the d@mn dog jumping into the trailer wet :lol:
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Didnt work out with the girlfriend, so now all I have to worry about is the d@mn dog jumping into the trailer wet :lol:

That's OK... a wet dog is much easier to get along with, just my experience. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 am

for me there where more answers. one is that is looks great behind my burton and two is that i can only tow 4oo kg
i wanted something that i can use traveling when i'm traveling eu. i didn't like to put u a tent every evening (and everything elso out of the trunk) and when i didn't find a camping i had no place to sleep. with a caravan i can just pull over to parking spot en sleep a couple of hours. another reasen is that when you put away your tent in the morning its still wet and so is everyting after a day of rain.

the last reasen is that in eu i hadn't seen one (since this summer) and i like to be different than de others.
i get a lot of attention with my car and in combination with te tear it will only be more :D
http://www.joostbastiaansen.webklik.nl
just drive like you stole it
jb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kathy53 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:44 pm

I bought a teardrop because they are cute, small enough for me to feel comfortable towing it. I also like teardrops because they are different.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Re: Why a TD?

Postby canned o minimum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am

I love the great outdoors and don't like tent campin AT ALL ! Since my daily driver(TV) is a 1965 VW Bug, I love the idea of the light weight AND off the ground...with storage fer cook gear and clothes,etc.

Now I have found a standie trailer and will be sellin the teardrop. But I will be buildin a new teardrop so I'll have BOTH ! Imma really miss the teardrop till I can build a new one.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I purchased because I already have enough projects on the Verna-do list.

After buying a 12' SideKick (Standy) last year, I discovered that I'm camping by myself (and with Sunny Day--dog) most of the time, cooking outside and not on the inside stove most of the time, I stay outside until time for bed, I love the gas mileage towing a TD, and there is simply no sense in camping in anything larger than a TD. And, it sure beats putting up with the tent and cot any more!! The TD is so much simpler!!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby BobBash » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:37 pm

I''l tell you what it means to me & I don't even have one yet . FREEDOM !! The freedom to go where I want , when I want & not have it cost an arm & a leg to do it . Freedom from the maintenance & expense of a much bigger rig . The freedom to design & build it any way I choose & feel good about it . To feel a sense of pride & satisfaction regardless of opinions from nay sayers . I know I will meet many like minded , interesting folks wherever I travel & along with the great outdoors & good health , what more could I possibly need ?
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Hows bout a good camping name?? Sumthin like .. Sleeps in cave,Bob ! ( More like an Indian name )
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BobBash » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Well , I'll have to give that some thought & see what I come up with ! :)
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Robert Small Box....Tiny Tee Pee Robert... This is so much fun !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wingnut » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 pm

For us it all started about ten years before, when at a car show, my wife saw one behind a vintage car and she informed me than we had to have one for our antique car. After I retired I started the build that wife mandated the decade before. It was a fun project and we had a great time traveling with it. Wished she had seen one years before.
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Small car, small towing limit, small budget, and small family (1 adult, 2 children) added up to a small trailer that the industry doesn't build. So it was time to build a ttt of our own. :D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:08 am

space to park it. No job was a big part of building it. the budget was so limeted you could not stay afloat in a 4 year of bettor ecnomic deperson and survie camping and rving on no job with any other type of rv.

gas prices this year in 2012 would have even made a guy lucky to have a job to stay home. and guys with normal rvs are probaly going to be parked this summer even if they have a job and credit left on the credit card.

with 4 buck gas a teardrop is the only size rv that can get the gas milage to make traveling or camping possible.

it was also the maintce on it the teardrop compared to the larger rv that was a no brainer.

with high gas prices you have high propane. the teardrop had no furnace. no hot water heator unlike a normal rv. and the stove in it takes just a single green coleman disposbal bottle.

very easy to re fill and skip a trip to town and a quick 2 dollar trip to walmart to replace if nessary.

the legalits to own a teardrop in wyoming was 7 bucks a year for tags and that beat a motor home hands down.

the motor home was 200 to insure as it had a motor and a one ton chassis and was 2 60 for plates!!!!!!!!!! yikes and that had to be paid just to go 3 miles to the nearest lake and camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the teardrop was a easy tiney 4x 8 foot pattern to store and crame in a space limet yard due to lots of farm machinery.

it was a cinch compared to a motor home to winterize. just open a drain cock on a 6 gallon water tank undeneath and I have only 6 inches of plumbing from the sink to a city water outlet so that get drained when I camp.

trow a 40 buck walmart car cover on it and done!!!!!!!

so maintence was a big factor on the teardrop.

owning it was another factor and the factor into building it was so fun as was the low easy cost of buying parts and building materials to easy pay as one found the money when you wanted over a period of a year or so and it still penceiled out to a bare 2000 buck demnotnation.

when finshed I got a teardrop no manfature makes and a rv that will do stuff no other manafatured one will.

I can go 4x4 wheeling with this camper and go places a normal rv can't. I can go between trees and camp where normal rvs can't.

the size when pulling is so easy to turn around in a gas station parking lot or pull over in a tiney pull over spot on a moutain gravel road or the fun part is whip around a boxed in truck and 5 th wheel on a gravel moutain road. that it makes the larger rv guy mouth drop open.

4 foot wide and a 6 inches into the width of the tow vehicle makes mountain travel a dream with lt mud and snow tires at 15 inchs you can flip on the suvs 4 wheel on the fly button and hop a gravel road borrow ditch in nothing flat to let a huge boxed in rv you meet on moutain roads by in nothing flat.

the gas shocks on the teardrop which are not standard or really on any manafactured rv. let me go down pot holey moutain roads with easy.

and with the sturdy constrution of 2 by fours in the walls and 1x 6s in the roof. I am built as good as a house.

I got one bed to maintain not 4.

I got a moon roof to lay in bed and watch the tree tops.

I use one battery and mimale juice on mostly lights.

no rv appliances to wear out no fridge to worry about getting leval

no pilot lights to fight with to get lit.

this was just one of many reasons I went large rv to the coffin on wheels.

and it turns heads and people stare was one big reason. heeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am

Yessiree Slow ! I love to be able to pass up the 40ft diesel pushers on the hiway and then pull my TINY rig inbetween the trees at the camp site ! I go off road into the wilderness and can camp near anywhere with it ! Goes UNDER low branches and in small places..

Stores real easy and everthang about a TD is CHEAP ! No heater needed and jus ONE bed to worry bout ! A 10x 10 easy up covrs the entire trailer with room to keep the kitchen and table dry if it rains..( I cook outside ALWAYS)
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls