POLL: best sidewall material

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

SIDEWALL

Poll ended at Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 am

Ply/foam/frame/Sandwich
70%
3/4" ply
30%

Total votes : 20

POLL: best sidewall material

Postby mallymal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:02 am

Very noobie here, still at the scribbles stage, but also collecting a file of resources - UK suppliers of the bits n pieces I'll need.

Loving the level of detail on the excellent benroy plans, which leads me to think "what do you favor?" A solid 3/4" ply sidewall (like the BENROY plans) or the method I was thinking of: a sandwiched side made up of 1/4"ply either side of a 1" thick frame, with urethane board to fill the voids. I figure that would be lighter, and still good & strong.

Thanks y'all :thinking:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby Bristol Delica » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:09 am

Hi Mal

I guess it could be down to what parts of the year you intend to use the trailer.

I used 12mm ply with 25mm expanded polystyrene sheet for insulation between softwood battens with tongue and groove for the interior. Having used it in anger on a particularly wet, windy and chilly weekend when it was actually too warm inside I think that this arrangement should give you at least 3 season usability. I am thinking of adding a tubular greenhouse heater to the cabin as I am pretty sure this would extend usability into the winter months too. I am also considering adding one or two computer cooling fans for ventilation and air circulation in the warmer weather.

HTH

IanJ
Last edited by Bristol Delica on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

He who dies with the most toys, wins!
Bristol Delica
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:22 am

My first was Eggbert a cargo tear for my motorcycle it has 7/16 OSB sides. It was a real quick build and at 3x5 the body with floor was light enough to toss easily into a pickup.

My 2nd was 5/8 OSB with 1/4 " luan veneer outside and 3/4" foam board with 1x4 spacers to reinforce at the panel splices them 1/4 luan panels inside. The 3/4 void gave enough room for the electrics all mounted in 1/2 depth carlon boxes just like your house only shallower.

My 3rd is a work in progress and I intend to use 3/8 ply bead on the outside and 1/4 paneling on the inside with 3/4 foam and 1x4 reinforcements.

So I guess I don't have a clue ! :lol:

Anyone up for paper mache ?

All of my trailers do what they were designed to do and function well there all just different :thinking: !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jackdaw » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Mal,
We went for 3/4" ply walls . I reckon they would be warmer than any tent. They make things simple to build .

We've used the trailer and find it plenty warm enough . We do have a heater should we need it though.

We are also looking into fitting some computer fans for ventilation.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:06 am

If I build a 4' wide trailer I use a 3/4" solid side covered inside with a "Foam Backed Rug" for a few reasons.

The main reason is that 46.5" for an inside dimension is narrow enough, I see no need to make it any narrower just to accommodate a thicker wall.

But the thicker framed wall is insulated

You may say, Yes...what is its "R" factor? About "R"7 if 1" Styrofoam is used.

What is the "R" value of 3/4" Plywood covered with a foam backed rug?

Nobody knows, but I'll bet its real close to "R" 7.

But the framed wall is lighter

Really, I'll bet 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood, all the framing lumber, nails/screws, glue and Styrofoam weigh about the same as a sheet of 3/4" plywood.

Now, on a Wider than 4' build where I have the width I'll use a stick built wall 2" wide and really Pack it with insulation.

JMO

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:13 pm

I built my walls framed. Why? Because I needed 10 foot of board and really couldn't lift a 3/4" ply sheet. It was easier for me...I used 3/8" Baltic Birch.....
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to User Polls